Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Hey all, since the Charger is Totaled im in the market for a new vehicle for my wife. Since it was my car that got smashed that she was using I get to pick what we get. Ive decided to go with 4runner as it meets what im looking for and it will compliment my rubicon nicely. Ive been debating between a sr5, the trail edition and the trail edition premium. However Ive been trying to find info on what the 2017 model year might bring. Googling just brings up the new land cruiser or highlander.

Just wondering if anyone has run across any info as to what the new model year will have to offer?
We are in no hurry to buy as she is driving my jeep to work(and seriously getting upset nobody waves at her) and I have my truck to drive. Hoping to see some end of the year saving but considering I cant find a trail model let alone a 4runner at any of the last 3 dealerships ive been too, that might be an option.

so ya got a bit off topic......off topic in general discussion....im such a rebel. so any info on the 2017?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The news so far on T4R.org seems to be no news. Several folks have posted photos and info on a supposed 2017 4Runner, but it is really a completely different vehicle not available in North America. If you were considering a TRD Pro, then there's new Cement color coming, but for the regular models, don't expect many changes.

Here's several pages for you to peruse: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/214295-2017-4runner-no-6th-gen.html

And really, that's 12 pages of saying how ugly the cement is with a few comments on how ugly the Lexus and Tacoma front ends look. So 12 pages of nothing worthwhile.

Last edited:

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Nothing new revamped atm for the 2017 model year. If there was going to be something we most likely would've heard it by now. I personally suggest the Trail edition or if you just have to have KDSS then get the TE Premium.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

The news so far on T4R.org seems to be no news. Several folks have posted photos and info on a supposed 2017 4Runner, but it is really a completely different vehicle not available in North America. If you were considering a TRD Pro, then there's new Cement color coming, but for the regular models, don't expect many changes.

Here's several pages for you to peruse: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/214295-2017-4runner-no-6th-gen.html

And really, that's 12 pages of saying how ugly the cement is with a few comments on how ugly the Lexus and Tacoma front ends look. So 12 pages of nothing worthwhile.
Haha that's pretty much what I've been running into.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Nothing new revamped atm for the 2017 model year. If there was going to be something we most likely would've heard it by now. I personally suggest the Trail edition or if you just have to have KDSS then get the TE Premium.
That's what I was thinking but I've read a few places there's supposed to some serious updates, but it's the Internet so may be no truth to that at all.

I believe you can get kdss without going premium. I've heard great things about the system but I'm not sure I or my wife will need it, or something a quality sway bar can take care of later for on road performance. This is going to be mostly my wife's vehicle so in the end if she feels more in control and comfortable with the kbss then we will get it. I'm defiantly leaning towards the trail. I'd like to have the signal mirrors that come with premium but not the sunroof. And I don't think I need factory nav.
Just gonna leave this right here...

I think you belong in a full size rig Bubba.
Haha I got a fullsize with my superduty. This is going to be my wife's. She doesn't like to drive the real big trucks. Wish she did I'd have 7.3 excursion in the driveway.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

From what I've seen with the 4Runner, Toyota would normally change the design every six years so we are due for the new 6 generation 4Runner later this year or early next year. I'm looking forward to seeing what's it's going to look like. I know for sure it will share the same engine that's in the new Tacoma. What I keep hearing about is that the new 4Runner might be a Unibody and not a Body On Frame like we have now. @stoney126 like @Steve mentioned, check out the T4R.org website if you can and another good website is www.toyota120.com.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
We have a 14 trail Non premium with the kdss. Wife loves hers. Personally I love the style of the current models. Lots of room. The 4.0 is a great little motor. We took hers with her big ass mall crawler tires on about a 500 mile road trip yesterday. Still got 17.5 mpgs, lots of hills. I can't complain about it at all.1464544451931.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Went and test drive a limited today as it was all they had. You can't find 4runners around here. I asked if it had kdss and the sales person said it did not. I'm a dummy and didn't check the sticker.

So my pros and cons looks great rides great even without the kdss. It's quite inside and the driving position feels very good. Lots of room inside.
The bad, even with the limited the interior seems like it's 10 years old. Not a deal breaker just seems a bit outdated. My other complaint is power or lack of it. But it's a v6 and should be expected.

I think the pros outweigh the cons as I'm being a bit picky. Honestly the seat position in relation to everything really sold me. I feel like I can see everything.

We may look into other brands but I believe. We're gonna have a 4 runner here in a few weeks. My vote for color is Quicksand

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Went and test drive a limited today as it was all they had. You can't find 4runners around here. I asked if it had kdss and the sales person said it did not. I'm a dummy and didn't check the sticker.

So my pros and cons looks great rides great even without the kdss. It's quite inside and the driving position feels very good. Lots of room inside.
The bad, even with the limited the interior seems like it's 10 years old. Not a deal breaker just seems a bit outdated. My other complaint is power or lack of it. But it's a v6 and should be expected.

I think the pros outweigh the cons as I'm being a bit picky. Honestly the seat position in relation to everything really sold me. I feel like I can see everything.

We may look into other brands but I believe. We're gonna have a 4 runner here in a few weeks. My vote for color is Quicksand
Fyi, if you want Quicksand, that is currently exclusive to the TRD Pro model. It might become a standard color down the road, but currently it is not.

Don't worry about the power of the 4.0. I drive a Tundra with the 5.7 and when we picked my wifes 16 TRD Pro I felt the same way. I just had to get over not driving my truck. I personally did not feel that way about the interior, I thought it was perfect for a truck based SUV. Simple and clean.

Either way, no matter which model or year you go with I think she'll love it.