2017 Tacoma TRD crew cab Long Bed Build Socal

• HTML tutorial

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

Very cool. The Eastern Sierras are my jam. I'd love to hear how the shell / drawer combo works out in real world use. My concerns related to dust (both in the shell area and the drawers), and the real-world function of packing the drawers and living out of the rig.

Looking forward to updates!
Well, from my first run I can report that dust is an issue, but not a big deal. It’s very difficult to deal up the cap/bed completely. That being said, the windows on both side completely open up so it makes very easy to blow it out with compressed air so I’m good with that. I’ll be setting up an Arb onboard compressor for airing up and down (currently run a Viair portable unit now (works fine) and plan on having a 3 gallon tank mounted underneath (spare tire area) with a quick fitting in the bed specifically for that purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: silverfstop

silverfstop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

That's a bummer. Dust intrusion is one of the biggies that dissuades me from considering a Tundra. Dust + moisture = colossal mess, which I think would just annoy the hell out of me.

But maybe I'm wrong, who knows. I'd like to hear how things work out after you've put some miles on the rig in different conditions.

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

That's a bummer. Dust intrusion is one of the biggies that dissuades me from considering a Tundra. Dust + moisture = colossal mess, which I think would just annoy the hell out of me.

But maybe I'm wrong, who knows. I'd like to hear how things work out after you've put some miles on the rig in different conditions.
Absolutely.

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

Finally put together and installed a bracket system for the 100w Renogy Panel with 20lb gas struts to lift it up and follow the sun as it sets. Just undo two wing nuts and she’s deployed!

She puts out plenty of juice to restore the Odyssey Aux House Batt.

Any chance I could get a link to which gas struts you used? I've been debating a Renogy pv panel or a flexible to go on my roof rack and that looks pretty slick and convenient.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

Any chance I could get a link to which gas struts you used? I've been debating a Renogy pv panel or a flexible to go on my roof rack and that looks pretty slick and convenient.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well, I can tell you that you get what you pay for regarding solar. My Renogy panel and Charge controller are working perfectly. As far as the gas struts, I just purchased a 20lb strut off Amazon. Be sure to get nothing over 25lbs. This was my second go and didn’t realize I had ordered 45lb struts the first time!

I chose the solid panel because my intent was to leave it on the rack most of the time. My rig is garaged so no biggie. That way a mounted rack takes more time and energy to steal than to have some Asshole walk off with the Flexi panel. Just my take on it. I’ll try and find the link tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Kinnett

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

Great looking 3rd gen!

Do you have the TW link for those Hi Lift tool mounts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

Great looking 3rd gen!

Do you have the TW link for those Hi Lift tool mounts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If you search Hilift jack mount in TW you should find it pretty quickly, I don’t have the link off hand Ry now.

The guy that makes um was straight up and shipped um quick.

Reactions: Willp_07

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

After putting all the Armor, winch, camper shell, drawers, equipment ect. The suspension needed a little help, so after a quick trip to Icon for their 700lbs springs and a trip down to Deaver Springs in Santa Ana, she’s sittin back where she should be. The spring upgrade put me back 2” higher on the front coils and 3 inches on the new rear leafs.

ALMOST COMPLETE!!!!!!

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Wow, nice Tacoma! I really wish my cap had windoors like yours. I may have missed it, but did you regear for the 285s? If not how is the 3.5L handling the extra weight?

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

Wow, nice Tacoma! I really wish my cap had windoors like yours. I may have missed it, but did you regear for the 285s? If not how is the 3.5L handling the extra weight?
Thank you very much Jeremy.
No re-gear yet I really haven't seen a need. She cruises the fwy at 70-75 no problem even with my Turtleback Trailer hooked to it and seems to take off from the lights no sweat. And there's always that ECT button help out when needed.

Now that being said, you definitely feel the extra weight with the ARE shell, drawers filled with gear and all the armor.

She's not my daily driver and is only called upon to give smiles when needed or the occasional trip to Home Depot. I built it to be a jack of all trades and to accommodate all my sports, Mt biking, kayaking, skiing, Overland travel, scuba diving, ect. To get the most out of the truck.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Thank you very much Jeremy.
No re-gear yet I really haven't seen a need. She cruises the fwy at 70-75 no problem even with my Turtleback Trailer hooked to it and seems to take off from the lights no sweat. And there's always that ECT button help out when needed.

Now that being said, you definitely feel the extra weight with the ARE shell, drawers filled with gear and all the armor.

She's not my daily driver and is only called upon to give smiles when needed or the occasional trip to Home Depot. I built it to be a jack of all trades and to accommodate all my sports, Mt biking, kayaking, skiing, Overland travel, scuba diving, ect. To get the most out of the truck.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Thanks for the info. I’m following this build you have a very nice truck. I have a 2013 Tacoma but the new ones have been calling my name.