Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
Update #3

Tires & Wheels:
Went with 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, picked up a set of TRD Pro wheels from a Toyota dealer in Kansas (best price). Will have stock TRD OR wheels and tires to sell soon :)

Suspension:
Ended up with Camburg UCA's and Icon Stage 6 coil overs and rears. Got some great help from SDHQ, shout out to @tubbsisland for a solid recommendation. We were PM'ing on TacomaWorld and he saw my OB#1836 signature and mentioned he's a member too! They have not all arrived yet, but planning on installing next weekend with an appointment for wheel, tire, alignment and body mount chop on December 5, so have to finish next week/weekend (hoping for no rain this week...).

Comms:
Picked up a Yaesu FT-8900R for comms and a tailgate antenna mount from C4 Fab. Stopped by Ham Radio Outlet yesterday in Sunnyvale. They were busy on Black Friday, but very gracious with their time and extremely helpful. It's nice to have a local source like HRO! I went with ham for the install instead of CB, as it has the potential of better range and when I go with a group that has CB, I will bring my portable, with how close we are on the trail and enroute, range of the portable is perfect.

Armor & Recovery:
Front bumper: Ordered a Southern Style Offroad slimline hybrid bumper and a Smittybilt X20 Waterproof Synthetic 10k winch with a cutout for Baja Designs 20" flush mount light bar.

Sliders: Ordered BAMF sliders as well. I didn't order powder coated this time, as the first time you scratch them it's hard to cover up the bare metal and have it look the same, so, I'm going to prime and paint them myself, so if (when) something scars them I can dress her back up and look consistent.

Interior:
Had the leather installed while I was "overlanding" Mickey Mouse's Kingdom in Orlando last week for my son's birthday.

Still to decide:
- Rear bumper/recovery
- PrinSu roof rack or stay stock...
- Organization of the bed for overlanding. Not going to put a rails and sliders, so need to develop the "system" for trail life.
- Lighting. Not sure I'm going to go with as much as I have on the TRL EATR Wrangler, but lighting here/there, might be an option.
- Name of the truck (thinking Trail Yeti - white Tacoma...)
- Where to take her overlanding first (besides work and the airport!). As a few of you have mentioned, needs dirt.
- Where to put OB badges (mine and son's)

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Liking your ideas already. I do not have a toyota, but I know a couple guys with the Prinsu racks on their tacomas, and they are without a doubt some nice racks.. That's what I'd do if you are going to go with a rack...

Reactions: TRL EATR

Porter707

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Northern California
Member #

Holy crap, I wish I could drop that much in one sitting on my truck! Can't wait to see the setup man.

I bought me some JBA UCAs on Black Friday, once those are in I'm ready to throw my setup on. And my BAMF Bed Rack should be finished this week, then I'll finally be able to throw the Tepui that's been sitting in my spare bedroom on!

TRL EATR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
Update #4

Felt that I needed to stretch myself, so I decided to try the installation of the UCA's and suspension myself. A little bit of trial by error, but felt pretty good. Icon stage 6 and Camburg Upper Control Arms with Deaver spring pack for the rears. Done. Had Four Wheel Parts re-torque and install the TRD Pro Wheels and KO2 285/75/17's. Looks pretty bad donkey.

Installed the Yaesu today and the CBI antenna mount. Looks great, works better!

Painted the grill matte black.

Most important install... OB1836 emblem (and son's on passenger side OB2073).

Will add more pictures when it's light tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: Porter707

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Looking good. I would say it's a good call for the BAMF sliders. Mine have been stout and saved me from damage many a time now. If you plan on slick rock with 285's, plan on upping your armor game. Get skid plating as soon as you can. Even mid travel IFS doesn't have the ground clearance really necessary for a "clean" slickrock run.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Just for more info a friend over on the TAPS "The Adventure Portal", website forum has the Toy suspension down pat you might check out his rig on the " rig thread " under the name of "Outkast", he is a pretty cool guy to talk to and he has done a lot of research on his...

Reactions: NetDep