First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hey All,

I'm working on upgrading my truck for next season, and I've gotten in kind of a quandary. As a background, I have a Silverado 1500 with a camper shell/bed cap (whatever you want to call it) that I've added a sleeping/storage platform to. I don't plan on taking my rig on any rock climbing adventures or anything like that. Just rough tracks for reaching out of the way places.

I can't decide what to do next. I have a roof rack for my truck cap which hasn't been installed yet. I also have some suspension upgrades waiting to be installed (it's cold and I don't have a garage). I will be adding a solar shower to that rack, as well as an awning, with a little space left for storing maybe a jerry can or two. Basically, I probably won't need any more roof storage after it's installed.

That being said, I *was* going to buy a rack for on top of the cab as well, with attached spotlights. The main purpose of this was going to be 1) to mount the lights and 2) to have an attachment point for limb risers. Plus it would have the added benefit of the additional storage. But, like I said, I probably don't need that much storage. So basically, it seems stupid to buy a cargo rack to do something other than carry cargo.

The only reason I even want to get limb risers is because I cracked my windshield on a trail last year. I thought the trail was too overgrown, but I'd seen other people take the trail (online, probably some years before my attempt), so I went. The overgrown portion was about a mile long, so in that case, trimming wasn't an option. I don't want to be in a position someday where I have to turn back from going to some awesome location because of an overgrown trail. But, I don't know that this will realistically be a problem I face that often or ever again. If I skip the limb risers, I probably would skip the roof rack and also a brush guard I was considering as well.

I know asking for opinions on the internet is asking for trouble, but in this case, I'd appreciate them!

Attachments

Reactions: Mekcanix

Cripley91

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Concord, NC, USA
Member #

Nice rig! I'm running just about the same setup in a '16. I've never seen limb risers on a Silverado. Do you think the angle from the hood to the roof would be too much? The risers wouldn't have much clearance to be effective like they would on a super-square jeep or defender.

P.S. What size tires are you running? I'm looking to upgrade once my tires wear out. I'm too cheap to replace them before they're bad...

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hey All,

I'm working on upgrading my truck for next season, and I've gotten in kind of a quandary. As a background, I have a Silverado 1500 with a camper shell/bed cap (whatever you want to call it) that I've added a sleeping/storage platform to. I don't plan on taking my rig on any rock climbing adventures or anything like that. Just rough tracks for reaching out of the way places.

I can't decide what to do next. I have a roof rack for my truck cap which hasn't been installed yet. I also have some suspension upgrades waiting to be installed (it's cold and I don't have a garage). I will be adding a solar shower to that rack, as well as an awning, with a little space left for storing maybe a jerry can or two. Basically, I probably won't need any more roof storage after it's installed.

That being said, I *was* going to buy a rack for on top of the cab as well, with attached spotlights. The main purpose of this was going to be 1) to mount the lights and 2) to have an attachment point for limb risers. Plus it would have the added benefit of the additional storage. But, like I said, I probably don't need that much storage. So basically, it seems stupid to buy a cargo rack to do something other than carry cargo.

The only reason I even want to get limb risers is because I cracked my windshield on a trail last year. I thought the trail was too overgrown, but I'd seen other people take the trail (online, probably some years before my attempt), so I went. The overgrown portion was about a mile long, so in that case, trimming wasn't an option. I don't want to be in a position someday where I have to turn back from going to some awesome location because of an overgrown trail. But, I don't know that this will realistically be a problem I face that often or ever again. If I skip the limb risers, I probably would skip the roof rack and also a brush guard I was considering as well.

I know asking for opinions on the internet is asking for trouble, but in this case, I'd appreciate them!
SIDE OPTIONS:
A folding hand saw that fits in the drivers door (small branches)
a chain saw?
or a
Buck saw' bigger than a folding saw. It depends on just how much clearing your willing to do for access. If a chain-saw becomes necessary on most trips, you should reevaluate your trail plans. A little side scratch is one thing, dents or worse, is another. A standard cap's roof structure is not the same as one manufactured with a rack base on it. The caps on those are made with a much stronger and thicker fiberglass, along with metal reinforcing in them. A solar panel would fit on a cap and give you options for electrical/power stuff. Want one that will last 40 years, try CARAVAN CAMPERS in Reno Nevada. Not as slick or beautiful, but made from sheet aluminum, not the foil type aluminum found on some RV's.

Jerry Cans: The old US/commercial type have to be stored upright, otherwise they vent all over. A much better version is the NATO style, but the are now scarce in this country (EPA) . A 3rd option is the Military Specter fuel cans. These are HD, but take a special nozzle that is not cheap. These last 2 options can be stored on their sides for better overhead clearance.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
SIDE OPTIONS:
A folding hand saw that fits in the drivers door (small branches)
a chain saw?
or a
Buck saw' bigger than a folding saw. It depends on just how much clearing your willing to do for access. If a chain-saw becomes necessary on most trips, you should reevaluate your trail plans. A little side scratch is one thing, dents or worse, is another. A standard cap's roof structure is not the same as one manufactured with a rack base on it. The caps on those are made with a much stronger and thicker fiberglass, along with metal reinforcing in them. A solar panel would fit on a cap and give you options for electrical/power stuff. Want one that will last 40 years, try CARAVAN CAMPERS in Reno Nevada. Not as slick or beautiful, but made from sheet aluminum, not the foil type aluminum found on some RV's.

Jerry Cans: The old US/commercial type have to be stored upright, otherwise they vent all over. A much better version is the NATO style, but the are now scarce in this country (EPA) . A 3rd option is the Military Specter fuel cans. These are HD, but take a special nozzle that is not cheap. These last 2 options can be stored on their sides for better overhead clearance.
Hey, thanks for the ideas!

I did get a folding saw after my experience last year. In retrospect though, I should have gone with the "reevaluate your trail plans" option. Experience probably would've told me that the trail was obviously too overgrown, but I was pretty well lacking in experience (still am, but I have a bit more now). I think the trail was a forest service road that the FS decided they don't need anymore, so no longer maintain. But, there's always that voice in the back of my head saying "other people did it, don't be a pussy!" Since cracking that windshield though, I've learned to tell that voice to stfu - it doesn't have to pay $300 for a new windshield.

Jerry cans are on my list. I've decided not to try to put them on the roof for the reasons you mentioned. If I put them up there, that's pretty much all I could put up there due to the roof weight capacity of my camper shell. I'm toying with the idea of a swing-away cargo rack for the tow hitch receiver, and mounting the cans there - and then only when I'm driving in very remote areas (like the Trans-Taiga trip I'm planning) with little traffic to minimize any chance of dangers caused by a rear-end collision with the cans sitting just above the bumper. I just can't think of a better place to put them that doesn't involve giving up sleeping space or breathing gas fumes while driving for hours.

The solar panel is also an idea I've been thinking of for a while. My next major upgrade will probably be a secondary battery that I can later install solar to charge.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Nice rig! I'm running just about the same setup in a '16. I've never seen limb risers on a Silverado. Do you think the angle from the hood to the roof would be too much? The risers wouldn't have much clearance to be effective like they would on a super-square jeep or defender.

P.S. What size tires are you running? I'm looking to upgrade once my tires wear out. I'm too cheap to replace them before they're bad...
Thanks!

I've never seen limb risers on a Silverado either. I think they would be helpful, assuming you can make them tight enough and aren't flying through the branches. But you're probably right, they won't be as effective as on a vehicle with more of a right angle in front. Put it this way, they probably won't stop scratches from the twigs and stuff that stick out from the branches, but they probably would have stopped whatever thicker branch smacked my windshield. At least, I think so. Since taking that picture, I've added a grille guard, which gives me an attachment point for the font end. It would attach about flush with the top of the hood and just behind the directional lamp. For the roof, I'm *hoping* I can find a roof rack bar (Rhino-Rack or something) that can be shimmed up enough to fit a couple 3" spot/floods underneath it and allow me to attach the limb riser on top. In theory, that would offer protection for the lights while keeping branches off the windshield. However, this has kind of been put on the back burner as for now, I'll probably just avoid such overgrown paths :)

I "upgraded" from the stock 20" alloy wheels to 17" steel rims with Goodrich TA KO2 32.2x10.8. I wanted a bit more rubber without going too hog wild. With stock suspension I had just a little rubbing in reverse with the wheel cranked to the side. Added some Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks to get just enough lift to stop the rubbing and give myself about 1" additional clearance all around.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For some ideas here is my 2002 Silverado 2500hd with a Yakima Mega Load Warrior on top of the truck camper. I have cross bars above the cab but have utilized that for my polar panel. The Load Warrior Rack also has the extension to make it as long as the shell. I also have a Yakima awning and Road Shower 4s. I thought about putting lights on the front cross bar but don’t want additional wind noise than I already have.

For the front I only have a bull bar for protection and a 20” LED bar attached.

Attachments

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
For some ideas here is my 2002 Silverado 2500hd with a Yakima Mega Load Warrior on top of the truck camper. I have cross bars above the cab but have utilized that for my polar panel. The Load Warrior Rack also has the extension to make it as long as the shell. I also have a Yakima awning and Road Shower 4s. I thought about putting lights on the front cross bar but don’t want additional wind noise than I already have.

For the front I only have a bull bar for protection and a 20” LED bar attached.
Nice rig!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Lights on a roof rack well have a lot of glare off the hood. About the only time I use mine now is in camp. Ditch lights do the same but not as bad. If you want good lighting with no glare them a front light bar is the best option imho. A Hitchgate Offset rear swingout can carry your spare, 2 gas cans and a Hi-Lift jack, my roof rack carries my traction ramps and a 42"X16" Plano all weather case and camp chairs.

Reactions: JCWages

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
The rims are Ultra Type 164 I picked up from customwheeloffset dot com (Custom Offsets). Their shipping FAQ says they ship anywhere in the world.

can I ask what brand of Steel rims those are, I am having no luck finding rims like that up here in Canada

Reactions: Mekcanix

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Lights on a roof rack well have a lot of glare off the hood. About the only time I use mine now is in camp. Ditch lights do the same but not as bad. If you want good lighting with no glare them a front light bar is the best option imho. A Hitchgate Offset rear swingout can carry your spare, 2 gas cans and a Hi-Lift jack, my roof rack carries my traction ramps and a 42"X16" Plano all weather case and camp chairs.
Agreed. Trucks have long hoods and the glare from lighting on or above the hood ruins my night vision.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Well, perhaps I will reconsider the roof mount then. Mounting on the grille guard *would* be much easier. My thinking was more ground clearance = better performance at long distance. But I don't really need to see that far, just more clearly.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Well, perhaps I will reconsider the roof mount then. Mounting on the grille guard *would* be much easier. My thinking was more ground clearance = better performance at long distance. But I don't really need to see that far, just more clearly.
Just place it in both places temporarily at night and see what it looks like. It's pretty easy to find a dark road somewhere, place the light and power it up via the battery without going through the hassle of running wires and mounting the light only to find you hate it in that location. :)

Reactions: Aequitas1916

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Lost Sasquach on Youtube has nice mods that affordable and obviously help him get out and explore. Check it out.

He has good informative videos. Glad there is another Silverado outlander out there.