Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
So I recently threw up a post in the general discussion thread about my new vehicle; The 2017 4Runner SR5 premium that I bought at the end of March. The build is coming along nicely so I'm starting a Build Thread. I'll try to include where I bought certain modifications, and what my lead time was and include a little info about the installation. When I purchased it, it was bone stock with around 85k miles on it. The previous owner had installed some Grabber ATx Tires and other than that, nothing was done to it.
dealer 1.jpg

The first thing I did after getting it home was to remove the side steps. I found that both myself and my girlfriend ended up stepping over them to get in and out. So off they came.
step removal.jpg

That same week we removed the roof rails and painted them black. I sanded them all with 320gr and cleaned them well with rubbing alcohol before applying 2 coats. We also applied the blackout badge covers to the front and rear badges. My original plan was to completely remove the SR5 badges. The driver side came off without any issues and the paint buffed clean with no ghosting. HOWEVER... the previous owner must have had the passenger side badge fall off at some point and instead of reapplying it with 3M Tape, they used gorilla glue. SO when I pulled it off, clear coat and paint came with it. I used it as an opportunity to paint them and reapply them with the proper 3m tape. Around this time I also installed a dual battery tray and accessory tray from C4fab. The battery tray was $129 and the accessory tray was $29. They came unfinished so I painted them with gloss black rustoleum. Into the battery tray was put a battery that I had from another vehicle which was nearly new. Its just a group 24 starting battery but it will work for now. Linking the batteries is a Redarc dual sensing battery isolator.
painted roof rails.jpg

Next step was a lift and tires. I was having trouble getting the ATx tires that came on it to balance properly, A total of one regular and 2 roadforce balancers over a period of a month and they would still wobble and vibrate. Having ruled out all other possible causes I knew I needed to swap out the tires. I wanted to go up to 285/70 r17s and in order to safely clear it needed to be lifted. Not having the money all at once to get a proper lift and tires I opted to get cornfed suspension spacers. I chose the 2/1.5 kit as I don't mind a little bit of rake but I absolutely hate reverse rake. The kit cost me about 165 shipped to my door. I installed it myself over the course of 2 days and all went relatively smoothly. I was not able to loosen the Cam nuts on the LCAs which allows them to hang free for easy removal of the strut, but a trick I discovered was to attach a heavy duty ratchet strap to a hole on the underside of the LCA and ratchet it to the opposite wheel. It was perhaps a little dangerous being under all that tension but it puled the LCA down far enough to remove the strut without a compressor. The rear went in easily but I did have to use a spring compressor to get the second side in place. If you're even remotely inclined with a wrench, you can do this job in about 6-8 hours total. The next day I had my tires mounted and balanced for $100 at a local shop that does nothing but tires and had me in and out in 25min. Then drove directly to an alignment shop and had the front end done. It took them about 2 hours but they brought everything into perfect factory spec with stock UCAs. Total price for the alignment was $129. Below are some before and after pictures of the lift on the stock size tires as well as a photo of the new Goodyear Duratracs.
lift before.jpglift after.jpg

I also found a stock 5th gen and took a few pics side by side for comparison. The height difference is pretty significant.
side by side front.jpgside by side rear.jpg

Around early May I was ready to start upgrading some of the lighting. Not yet having sorted out power distribution, aftermarket fog replacements made the most sensible starting point as they use factory wiring and switch. I knew from the start that I planned to use Baja Designs all the way around so I went with their Squadron fog light replacement for the Toyotas which comes with plug and play harnesses and direct fit brackets. I opted for the Non SAE versions with wide cornering optics for max output. They installed in about an hour and look great in my opinion. The output is AMAZING. They easily out shine my low beams and throw a much taller and wider beam of light. I ordered them on Ebay from the seller rudys_performance_parts for $337.46 shipped and they arrived within 3 days.
baja fog lights.jpg

This past week I ordered some more Baja Designs to round out the forward facing lighting. I also ordered a TRD pro grill from TacoVinyl to accommodate one of those items. I got a pair of S2 Sports and caliraised ditch light brackets. and a 20" S8 Bar to go in the upper grill section. The ditch lights are installed now and pictured below. I'm still waiting on the grill to arrive which has a 2-4week lead time. Once that's installed ill update the thread. I also finished my power distribution center this past week. I work for a private ambulance company and some time ago, an old ambulance was going to scrap and was being stripped of anything of use. I got my hands on a few terminal strips, relays, fuse blocks and some breakers. I put them all to good use in my power distribution center under the hood. Now that its all hooked up, it allows me to just plug an accessory into the strip under the hood, and add a switch to the corresponding terminal strip under the dash. The underside of the accessory tray where the relays were mounted got a little messy but its functional and all the hot leads are well isolated. It works well and it cost me very little.
baja ditch lights.jpg
power tray 2.jpgpower tray relays.jpgPower tray.jpgUnder dash Switch distribution.jpg

As of right now that's all that's been done. But I do have plans for a roof rack with lighting and some other accessories in the very near future. more to come.

Attachments

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
A few updates over the past couple of weeks. The TRD pro grill has been installed allowing the installation of the Baja S8 20” as well as the Weboost Drive Reach OTR. Pictures below. The Weboost amplifier was mounted under the driver side rear seat. The exterior antenna has been mounted on a comet brand trunk lip mount that I modified slightly. I think it will be moved to a ram mount on the roof rack when my Prinsu full length roof rack arrives sometime in the next 2 weeks. The ram mount will give me a little flexibility by allowing me to fold it down and out of the way when clearance is an issue as well as being unaffected by the position of the rear hatch. I had initially put it on the 18” extension with the spring. It sat just above the roof line but the turbulence made it swing violently in the wind. It sits now at a 38” and seems stable but it’s a lot of strain on the mount in the wind and on rough roads.
A3D374A5-7B4E-4761-997E-11BDB886D908.jpeg6EF331FD-DB4E-493D-8B84-4647237457CE.jpeg

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

So I recently threw up a post in the general discussion thread about my new vehicle; The 2017 4Runner SR5 premium that I bought at the end of March. The build is coming along nicely so I'm starting a Build Thread. I'll try to include where I bought certain modifications, and what my lead time was and include a little info about the installation. When I purchased it, it was bone stock with around 85k miles on it. The previous owner had installed some Grabber ATx Tires and other than that, nothing was done to it.
View attachment 200682

The first thing I did after getting it home was to remove the side steps. I found that both myself and my girlfriend ended up stepping over them to get in and out. So off they came.
View attachment 200684

That same week we removed the roof rails and painted them black. I sanded them all with 320gr and cleaned them well with rubbing alcohol before applying 2 coats. We also applied the blackout badge covers to the front and rear badges. My original plan was to completely remove the SR5 badges. The driver side came off without any issues and the paint buffed clean with no ghosting. HOWEVER... the previous owner must have had the passenger side badge fall off at some point and instead of reapplying it with 3M Tape, they used gorilla glue. SO when I pulled it off, clear coat and paint came with it. I used it as an opportunity to paint them and reapply them with the proper 3m tape. Around this time I also installed a dual battery tray and accessory tray from C4fab. The battery tray was $129 and the accessory tray was $29. They came unfinished so I painted them with gloss black rustoleum. Into the battery tray was put a battery that I had from another vehicle which was nearly new. Its just a group 24 starting battery but it will work for now. Linking the batteries is a Redarc dual sensing battery isolator.
View attachment 200685

Next step was a lift and tires. I was having trouble getting the ATx tires that came on it to balance properly, A total of one regular and 2 roadforce balancers over a period of a month and they would still wobble and vibrate. Having ruled out all other possible causes I knew I needed to swap out the tires. I wanted to go up to 285/70 r17s and in order to safely clear it needed to be lifted. Not having the money all at once to get a proper lift and tires I opted to get cornfed suspension spacers. I chose the 2/1.5 kit as I don't mind a little bit of rake but I absolutely hate reverse rake. The kit cost me about 165 shipped to my door. I installed it myself over the course of 2 days and all went relatively smoothly. I was not able to loosen the Cam nuts on the LCAs which allows them to hang free for easy removal of the strut, but a trick I discovered was to attach a heavy duty ratchet strap to a hole on the underside of the LCA and ratchet it to the opposite wheel. It was perhaps a little dangerous being under all that tension but it puled the LCA down far enough to remove the strut without a compressor. The rear went in easily but I did have to use a spring compressor to get the second side in place. If you're even remotely inclined with a wrench, you can do this job in about 6-8 hours total. The next day I had my tires mounted and balanced for $100 at a local shop that does nothing but tires and had me in and out in 25min. Then drove directly to an alignment shop and had the front end done. It took them about 2 hours but they brought everything into perfect factory spec with stock UCAs. Total price for the alignment was $129. Below are some before and after pictures of the lift on the stock size tires as well as a photo of the new Goodyear Duratracs.
View attachment 200688View attachment 200690

I also found a stock 5th gen and took a few pics side by side for comparison. The height difference is pretty significant.
View attachment 200691View attachment 200692

Around early May I was ready to start upgrading some of the lighting. Not yet having sorted out power distribution, aftermarket fog replacements made the most sensible starting point as they use factory wiring and switch. I knew from the start that I planned to use Baja Designs all the way around so I went with their Squadron fog light replacement for the Toyotas which comes with plug and play harnesses and direct fit brackets. I opted for the Non SAE versions with wide cornering optics for max output. They installed in about an hour and look great in my opinion. The output is AMAZING. They easily out shine my low beams and throw a much taller and wider beam of light. I ordered them on Ebay from the seller rudys_performance_parts for $337.46 shipped and they arrived within 3 days.
View attachment 200693

This past week I ordered some more Baja Designs to round out the forward facing lighting. I also ordered a TRD pro grill from TacoVinyl to accommodate one of those items. I got a pair of S2 Sports and caliraised ditch light brackets. and a 20" S8 Bar to go in the upper grill section. The ditch lights are installed now and pictured below. I'm still waiting on the grill to arrive which has a 2-4week lead time. Once that's installed ill update the thread. I also finished my power distribution center this past week. I work for a private ambulance company and some time ago, an old ambulance was going to scrap and was being stripped of anything of use. I got my hands on a few terminal strips, relays, fuse blocks and some breakers. I put them all to good use in my power distribution center under the hood. Now that its all hooked up, it allows me to just plug an accessory into the strip under the hood, and add a switch to the corresponding terminal strip under the dash. The underside of the accessory tray where the relays were mounted got a little messy but its functional and all the hot leads are well isolated. It works well and it cost me very little.
View attachment 200694
View attachment 200697View attachment 200698View attachment 200695View attachment 200699

As of right now that's all that's been done. But I do have plans for a roof rack with lighting and some other accessories in the very near future. more to come.
Let me know when I can place an order, love the work

Reactions: JSearles562

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
This past week we installed our new prinsu full length roof rack complete with ridgeline handles and Baja designs rock lights for perimeter lighting. The lights were wired to an Anzo 4 channel wireless remote which uses a key-fob like remote which will allow us to turn them on and off from inside the tent or just generally around camp. 7B4CBF3C-C2DB-47D5-A889-1E7CBED48B47.jpeg

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
After much debate I've decided to relocate my antennas from the comet RS-840 trunk lip mounts located on the rear liftgate as pictured above to the roof rack. The RS-840 is a fairly robust mount and worked well for the 2m/70cm antenna however did not perform well with the weboost antenna. At highway speeds, weboost antenna would slowly begin to tilt backwards away from the vehicle. I don't fault Comet as it was never designed for such an antenna. In an attempt to keep it in place during my highway trip I tightened... overtightened the bolts for both axes. The Comet mount for the weboost failed after the center bolt pulled through the washer like portion. Fortunately it did so in my driveway not while traveling down the road.
My initial plan was to mount the weboost antenna on a ram mount as I have seen other people do. I ordered a t-track ball, a ball with 3/8 24 threaded stud to interface with the bottom of the spring and a short arm. However, I made the mistake of believing that Ram "B" size would be sufficient. It was not. The "B" size, even when tightened completely, would still move easily with just hand pressure and certainly wouldn't stand up to highway speeds or off road driving. I ended up modifying a pair of aluminum mirror mount brackets from weboost that I had on hand by cutting off the bottom half of the mounting bolt side then using 1/4x24 carriage bolts to attach them to the rack. The 2m/70cm antenna mount was drilled out to accept the larger SO-239 connector and mounted opposite of the weboost antenna. I currently have a Comet SR2x4 antenna which is nearly 40" tall and is a little too obvious for my taste. I will be swapping it for a 15" tram dual band NMO mount antenna as soon as my SO-239 -> NMO adapter arrives. Care was taken during this install to route the coax so that it cannot be pinches and in any places where there's a potential for abrasion on the coax jacket I installed heat shrink tubing. Antenna relocate1.jpg
antenna relocate2.jpg
antenna relocate3.jpg
antenna relocate4.jpg
antenna relocate5.jpg