Rank III

Enthusiast I

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Partridge
Member #

So my overland build started in Nov of 2019 when I bought my 2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TSS. I had recently returned home from deployment from Afghanistan and while deployed on Youtube I discovered the hobby/pastime of "Overlanding". As a kid/teen my dad and I always had trucks and 4wheelers and gone camping, something I always enjoyed so when I stumbled onto this new past time I was thrilled.

I started out with a 2016 Tundra SR5 knowing I would updating and adding a lot to the truck. I started out with a Carven Cat-Back Exhaust and a S&B Filters CAI (cold air intake). Next was a Rough Country Front and Rear Heavy Duty Bumper, the front has 4 LED cubes and a 20 inch LED light bar built in and the rear has two LED cubes. I also added the Rough Country grille insert. Following that I did a BDS 3in suspension lift with front coil overs, XD 820 18x9 +18mm wheels wrapped in 33x12.5x18 Kenda Klever RTs (which have been amazing and would definitely recommend). After that I installed a Victory 4x4 Bed rack with bed channel stiffeners (not pictured ). I also added RCI skid plate and A-arm skids (not pictured). On top of the rack is Roofnest Condor XL which fits our family our 4 and our dog. Wanting to make sure if we went " off grid " we would be okay I added a Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Solo with a full size matching spare and a hi-lift jack.

I have other minor add-ons, such as recovery board mounts in the bed, custom door sills and lots of chrome delete inside the truck from AJT Designs along with ICS Fab Dash mount with Ram mounts.

Next on the list is to upgrade the leaf pack in the rear to support all the weight that is on truck as a daily driver and one big surprise under the engine that will really get the truck up and running. Stay tuned for more.

Attachments

Ryanryan34

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Partridge
Member #

Definitely a big fan of the Victory 4x4 bed rack. If you have the bed rail system it makes install a breeze and I feel it is very secure.

Reactions: mmrhodes06

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Just picked up a 2016 Tundra - TRD offroad pkg, probably some other stuff - I never trust the lists unless it's the original sticker. It does have Dual Exhaust - which was almost a deal breaker for me - that is one obnoxious exhaust system. The "Muffler" is 2-in 2-out, and it's tiny. The droning at any and every speed is horrible - but once crawled under and saw the tiny little thing they tried to pass off as a muffler, I figured it was fixable - another 5.7 with the single exhaust was night/day different. Curious why you picked yours, and are you still happy with it? I'm too old to want to listen to loud exhaust for more than a fast trip down the block - and I'm not going to turn the stereo up to ear bleed levels to drown it out.
So - I'm exhaust shopping - that (what I suspect is the TRD Pro Dual exhaust option) has to go.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Just picked up a 2016 Tundra - TRD offroad pkg, probably some other stuff - I never trust the lists unless it's the original sticker. It does have Dual Exhaust - which was almost a deal breaker for me - that is one obnoxious exhaust system. The "Muffler" is 2-in 2-out, and it's tiny. The droning at any and every speed is horrible - but once crawled under and saw the tiny little thing they tried to pass off as a muffler, I figured it was fixable - another 5.7 with the single exhaust was night/day different. Curious why you picked yours, and are you still happy with it? I'm too old to want to listen to loud exhaust for more than a fast trip down the block - and I'm not going to turn the stereo up to ear bleed levels to drown it out.
So - I'm exhaust shopping - that (what I suspect is the TRD Pro Dual exhaust option) has to go.
Still shopping - it’s definitely not the TRD exhaust having finally seen one. I think I’m going to find/make a 2.5 - 3 inch ‘stock’ system. Anyone know what size the stock pipe size is?