2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition in Vegas

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

For a few years now we have been thinking of replacing my wife’s 2005 Lexus sedan. It’s been very reliable, but with 290k miles it’s time. Initially my wife was interested in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I love my 2004 Rubicon but have never been a Cherokee fan. I had suggested a few different (overland capable) vehicles as a replacement including the 4Runner. It wasn’t until a friend she works with suggested the 4Runner that my wife considered it.

I reached out to a friend of a friend at a local Toyota dealership and that day they had received a 2016 Trail Premium edition with 24k miles as a trade-in.

A492CB6E-70B1-4402-83F1-FE6F2BA2A70D.jpeg

Having already been preapproved through USAA, we went to the dealership to take a look and test drive. I’m still researching the suspension, but it appears to have about 2” of lift. The interior and exterior were in excellent condition with tinted windows (a must have in the desert). The custom wheels are nice, but I’d prefer 17” over the 20” and might pick up a second set of “overlanding” wheels. The purchase was pretty painless, but had to wait a few days to take it home because it still needed the maintenance inspection and prep.

890A95EB-340A-48F6-BF16-5982CAFE4221.jpeg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

A few days later we picked up our T4R. One of the first things I wanted to do was hook up my CDN M101 to see how it tracked.

CAF285F8-FF80-4BBA-A67E-1A11183D4F2F.jpeg

The trailer tracks really well onroad and I don’t need even notice it’s there. The only issue is the 4 pin trailer light hookup wiring wasn’t long enough to reach the connector on the 4R which is equipped with both a 4 pin and a 7 pin. I picked up a 4 to 7 pin adapter and problem solved.

59CA0B67-F2D0-4DE7-B1A9-3B96200D9CA5.jpeg

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Looks good in the driveway...BD222A29-7BB8-4FF8-B976-EB47416B5F29.jpeg

My only complaint about my Jeep is the lack of cargo space. That’s what lead me down the expedition trailer path. With the 4R I am spoiled with cargo space. Plus, having two overland capable vehicles opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

One of the first things I did when we got the T4R was pick up some basic recovery gear (tow strap, clevis shackles, etc.). While attending a friend’s wedding in LA, someone had too much to drink and decided to drive over some boulders lining a walking path and got high centered. Jacked up the front end of the car enough to get it off the bolder and looped the tow strap around boulder to drag it out from underneath. I do wonder sometimes how people can be so dumb.

FD0DCAE0-11F8-4CB9-B227-3AEAC3FE294C.jpeg

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

The RCI rock sliders are beefy as hell. They weigh about 45 lbs each and I used milk crates to line them up for install. The passenger side was easy with only one bolt for a brake line to disconnect. The sliders use the existing threaded holes in the frame with 10 bolts on the passenger side and 12 on the driver side. Driver side install was a little tougher because of the hydraulic lines for the KDSS. I removed the running boards shortly after buying the vehicle because you’re just looking for problems off-road. I felt naked without the sliders, but am much better now.

EEF2B1C8-F2AA-4757-80DC-F67012D4461F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomadik Nova

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The RCI rock sliders are beefy as hell. They weigh about 45 lbs each and I used milk crates to line them up for install. The passenger side was easy with only one bolt for a brake line to disconnect. The sliders use the existing threaded holes in the frame with 10 bolts on the passenger side and 12 on the driver side. Driver side install was a little tougher because of the hydraulic lines for the KDSS. I removed the running boards shortly after buying the vehicle because you’re just looking for problems off-road. I felt naked without the sliders, but am much better now.

View attachment 72883
it's looking good. What have you done to the interior?