2016 Tacoma mods

• HTML tutorial

Jenksy-al1644

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm a relatively new member early on in my build. I have a 2016 Tacoma. Looking for recommended mods I should consider or stay away from. I already have a roof rack I'm loving. Hoping to upgrade the bumpers, tires and wheels in the next 18 months. Also considering a lift to go with the wheels and tires. Looking for recommendations on it all. Thanks.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

All depends on what your budget is really. What are you looking to spend? Check out mod threads as well to get ideas.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I started with 265/75r16 bfg ko2 all terrains on stock wheels, and all pro sliders. That made it plenty capable off road. Suspension is tricky and completely depends on what kind of load you'll be carrying. I started with some rear leaf helpers from hellwig that were cheap and helped the sag from the shell and rtt, but wasn't enough. I tried the old man emu system for awhile and liked the Dakar leafs with the added leaf for handling the weight of camping gear, shell, rtt and fridge, but didn't really like the front. I ended up going with icon 2.5 ifp extended travel coilovers and ucas with Delta joints in the front which handle nice and worked out great for fine tuning the ride height with the hidden winch mount from is off road and warn m8000s. The upper control arms imo are worth the money. The alignment shop got the ome set up close with the stock ones, but it wasn't close enough for me. The ome rear shocks seemed bouncy compared to the icons in the front so I got some custom length icon 2.0 extended travel rear shocks, wheeler super bump stops, all pro u bolt flip kit and extended rear brake lines. This combination has worked out great for me. I haven't decided on a rear bumper yet, but pelfreybilt is on the top of my list so far, and I'm looking at their skids too. It's hard to do the lift without the weight you intended on eventually planning on having, especially in the front, adjustable coilovers make it easier, but you still might need to go with a heavier spring if you get a crazy heavy bull bar type bumper. I ended up rebuying things and wish I would've just spent the money upfront for the higher end suspension to begin with. It usually just comes down to what you intend to do with the truck and $. Just sharing my experience with my build, I hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

My advice before purchasing any upgrades is to look at how realistic these upgrades will benefit you right now. Prioritize. For example, how often will your truck see off road? If it's frequently then I'd suggest tires and wheels and a lift first. Then add on from there. Maybe sliders, lights, a winch or a dual battery setup. It's a game. Play your cards! Outfit to your needs.

If I were you, i'd start slow, familiarize yourself with every upgrade first, do your research and find what fits your style.
That way you'll understand and appreciate each addition and know how it reacts to your truck. Educate. Enjoy the experience. You'll be putting down lots of hard earned money and time into this truck and only you will have the final say. Make sure the misses (if there is one) understands the what and why of this. Trust me... you're in another relationship believe it or not.

Anyway, after 6 or 8 shots of soju and several mugs of pilsner that's all I got. Enjoy and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jenksy-al1644

Rank 0

Traveler I

That's actually very helpful. Especially because that's the exact tire size I was looking at upgrading to. My difficult there is that I'm not interested in lifting it any more than is necessary to prevent rubbing. Any tips in that are very helpful. Especially making sure I get it right the first time.

I regularly tow with mine, and load it up, so I was planning on adding airbags to the rear to maintain balance and ride.

I started with 265/75r16 bfg ko2 all terrains on stock wheels, and all pro sliders. That made it plenty capable off road. Suspension is tricky and completely depends on what kind of load you'll be carrying. I started with some rear leaf helpers from hellwig that were cheap and helped the sag from the shell and rtt, but wasn't enough. I tried the old man emu system for awhile and liked the Dakar leafs with the added leaf for handling the weight of camping gear, shell, rtt and fridge, but didn't really like the front. I ended up going with icon 2.5 ifp extended travel coilovers and ucas with Delta joints in the front which handle nice and worked out great for fine tuning the ride height with the hidden winch mount from is off road and warn m8000s. The upper control arms imo are worth the money. The alignment shop got the ome set up close with the stock ones, but it wasn't close enough for me. The ome rear shocks seemed bouncy compared to the icons in the front so I got some custom length icon 2.0 extended travel rear shocks, wheeler super bump stops, all pro u bolt flip kit and extended rear brake lines. This combination has worked out great for me. I haven't decided on a rear bumper yet, but pelfreybilt is on the top of my list so far, and I'm looking at their skids too. It's hard to do the lift without the weight you intended on eventually planning on having, especially in the front, adjustable coilovers make it easier, but you still might need to go with a heavier spring if you get a crazy heavy bull bar type bumper. I ended up rebuying things and wish I would've just spent the money upfront for the higher end suspension to begin with. It usually just comes down to what you intend to do with the truck and $. Just sharing my experience with my build, I hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I have a 2013 TRD OR DCSB
I have an ARB front bumper w/8000 Warn winch, the stock front was not enough so I installed an old man emu "heavy" suspension.
I love it. Lift is 2.5"
I started with 2"AAL rear it was fine empty, but with weight or a trailer it sagged too much for my needs.
I got an expo leaf pack from ALL Pro and I'm very happy.
the rear lift is now 3" and it doesn't sag with the weight I carry or tow.
the empty ride is firmer, but still better than my old 2500 Ram
Im running BFG AT in 265/75/16 on stock alum rims.
I wouldn't go bigger on tire size without regearing.
I have sliders, and I regularly tow a cargo trailer for work, my camping setup is a bedrock and RTT.
this pic is before the new rear springs
IMG_1847.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

MrMartinD

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Exton, PA 19341
Member #

I'm liking this thread as I just got a '17 Tacoma off road and looking to make it ready for off roaring myself.

I'm not looking to go crazy, just bottom out a little less. I'll start with the 265/75r16 bfg ko2 tires and want a 2inch lift but since I'm new to this, have no idea how. Don't want to get taken advantage of. I don't have the now how to do it myself.

I want to do moderate rock crawling (Rauschenberg creek green) and trail riding/mud

Any advice on a lift kit is appreciated.

Last edited:

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

265's typically don't rub if you mount on stock rims. It's when the offset starts to change that they come in contact with stuff. Even without a lift it's very minimal. There is a whole range of lifts to sort through. Bumpers look cool but are super heavy. Ask yourself if you need that extra approach and departure angle. If yes the get a lift first then reassess. You can go up to a 33" without regearing, yes you will notice a difference. If you tow anything then you will want to regear. Take a few trips in your truck in stock form and go from there.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
It's good advice to run stock for a while and assess your needs, The truck is very capable as is, and everything is a compromise when you start modifying .