2016 Summer trip, need suggestions

• HTML tutorial

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Hi there. I'm beginning to plan our 2016 summer overland/road trip. This past summer we did Utah and Colorado.

Our destination is Portland to meet up with some friends.

A few places were interested in seeing: Glacier NP, Tetons, Yellowstone. We can potentially hit these places first then end up in Portland on the way home.

Looking to do some overlanding between destinations. Most all NPs don't offer any off-roading or back country trails so looking for suggestions from any of the local folks.

We'll be doing the trip over three weeks. Traveling with our 3 kids (2,4,6) and dog, hopefully we'll have the trailer by then.

Thanks in advance!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Glacier and Banff are unbelievable. It's one of the most amazing landscapes you'll ever see. They are NP's but it's just...amazing. Ask @Cappy410 If I'm not mistaken, that's near him...

Reactions: daPitbull

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Glacier and Banff are unbelievable. It's one of the most amazing landscapes you'll ever see. They are NP's but it's just...amazing. Ask @Cappy410 If I'm not mistaken, that's near him...
Yes...I was doing some google mapping last night, I think we'll add Banff to the list.

Hoping some one can chime in regarding potential overlanding routes

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I think I have a rough idea of our route this summer.

This is the general route, we're planning on heading to Banff, Glacier NP, Tetons, and Yellowstone.

We'll also be doing the WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route). This is about a 600 mile route, comprised of mostly of backcoutry/offroad driving, from Oregon, crossing the state of WA into Canada.

While I'd be comfortable doing this solo with the family, gauging any interest from the Overland Bound community to join for this stretch of our trip. Likely be starting in June 24th ish, and doing the route over 5 or 6 days. We'll be traveling with our 3 young kids (2,4,6), so if you have kids it'd even better.

More info here:
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR

After the WABDR, we'll have 2 weeks to finish off the rest of our route. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining us on the WABDR.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I think I have a rough idea of our route this summer.

This is the general route, we're planning on heading to Banff, Glacier NP, Tetons, and Yellowstone.

We'll also be doing the WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route). This is about a 600 mile route, comprised of mostly of backcoutry/offroad driving, from Oregon, crossing the state of WA into Canada.

While I'd be comfortable doing this solo with the family, gauging any interest from the Overland Bound community to join for this stretch of our trip. Likely be starting in June 24th ish, and doing the route over 5 or 6 days. We'll be traveling with our 3 young kids (2,4,6), so if you have kids it'd even better.

More info here:
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR

After the WABDR, we'll have 2 weeks to finish off the rest of our route. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining us on the WABDR.
I want to do WABDR this summer too. I was planning my WABDR trip for a bit later in the summer, depending on how much snow we get and when it starts melting, some of the route might still be covered in snow at the end of June. Some years higher elevation roads aren't clear until mid July or later. The route is on the eastern side of the Cascades, which see less snow than the western faces so that might help you out. If I'm home I might be able to do a scouting run or two,for you to check conditions in a few spots. In case you are interested, the NW Overland Rally in Plain, WA runs June 23rd through the 26th. Plain isn't far from the WABDR route. I think Oregon has a BDR too.
Also, heading to Banff is a great idea, I went there and Kootenay a national park on my honeymoon and they were awesome. Canadian national parks are so different from American national parks, they are less developed and more wild, also far less expensive to stay in and a little nicer.
I'd love to do the WABDR with you, but I'm already taking a family vacation to Yellowstone the beginning of June and then a few more days for the NW Overland Rally. When are going to be in Yellowstone? I have a 3yo and a 3mo.
Your trip looks pretty packed, but I'm Washington you are going to drive by North Cascades National Park, Rainier National Park and Mt St Helens National Monument. There is some places in Mt St Helens you can get some dirt under your tires but not much in the other two, they are pretty cool though.
Let me know if you have any Washington questions, my wife and I have have been all over the state so we mit know something to help you out.

Reactions: daPitbull

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about making a stop at NW Overland Rally, but I doubt the family would have as much fun as I would, plus we've got a lot of ground to cover. I'm acutally debating on cutting out a few places, just so we wouldn't be driving so much.

I'll definitely get in touch with you as I start to iron things out. Scouting run information would certainly be welcomed...but I wouldn't want to twist your arm to take the rig out ;)

Thanks
Ray

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
If you decide to stay state side vs Canada Sandpoint, Idaho is a great town and there are great national forest roads and views all over between glacier and Sandpoint.