2016 Nissan Navara (diesel frontier) build (Australia)

• HTML tutorial

ben.dicoot

Local Expert, Victoria Australia
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
Member #

Well it has been a while since I've had a chance to work on the datto. Two sets of registrations and insurances have eaten into the money for mods!
IMG_3728.JPG
There's some empty space that needs filling!

I have just fit up some "cheap insurance" modifications to look after the engine while on my travels. This includes a second fuel filter mounted before the factory unit to effectively pre filter the diesel. Australia has poor quality diesel in remote areas and the smallest bit of crud can ruin a common rail engine or pump.
The second is an oil mist separator (or catch can) that stops the oil mist (from the crank case breather) mixing with the carbon from the egr valve and blocking the intake manifold.
Both items shared the same stainless mount using factory holes and the whole kit came from Western Filters in Sydney.IMG_3729.JPG
This is the oil mist seperator. There is a filter inside and the clean air returns to the intake, and the oil runs down a hose to a tap behind the front wheel to be drained every 5000km.
IMG_3732.JPG
The fuel pre filter. The inlet (back) is from the factory filter (pictured behind) while the outlet (front) runs into the original inlet. Easy!

Now my little truck is guaranteed to have clean air to breathe and clean diesel to sip. :)

Still have to wire my battery system and fit a cab roof rack before my big trip. Back to saving $$$!
Happy trails

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

A busy week was had on the Nissan. Dual battery system is all wired up. I'm really glad I did it myself. I now know how it all works and can fix any faults on the trail. The entire system fits into otherwise wasted space (to the left of the fridge)IMG_3831.JPG
I also managed to fit a Rhino pioneer cab rack. Drilling into the roof wasn't as scary as I thought! This will carry a tool box, maxtrax, shovel and high lift jack.IMG_3829.JPG 7 weeks until my overland trip to the northern most point in Australia. Car is now mostly finished and only some dust sealing and other odd jobs to do.IMG_3830.JPG

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

More bits bolted to the mighty Datsun IMG_3844.JPGI'm kitting out the roof rack for the vehicle spares and recovery gear (the back seats and the ute tub are for us!) Hopefully these items won't see much use so they're up and out of the way. HiLift jack mount, shovel holder, 4 maxtrax mounted. I bolted down a weatherproof box for my winch kit, snatch strap and vehicle spares like air filter, fan belt and radiator hoses.IMG_3845.JPGThe box is bolted down to the rack.
There was also a 20% sale at my local camping store... a very dangerous thing a month out from a trip!IMG_3847.JPGA new second battery, chairs, coffee table, sand pegs, shower and siphon hose amongst other things.
The car is pretty much ready for my big trip. I would've liked a rear air locker but I need fuel money instead!

Reactions: justin marsh

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

You are going to have a blast. Any shorter test trips planned to see how you like your setup?
I'd like to get away for a weekend to try it for sure. We've tested the rooftop tent and kitchen previously. My main concern is fitting everything in neatly and easy to access. I have been test packing certain aspects to make sure I'm sorted. Six weeks is a long time away but there are sections of a week or more away from civilisation that will need consideration

Reactions: TGF

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Yeah, we've been doing variants of camping for a while and it's much better when you have thought it through carefully and know the drill and the equipment super well.

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

Yeah, we've been doing variants of camping for a while and it's much better when you have thought it through carefully and know the drill and the equipment super well.
IMG_3924.JPG
Ended up setting up out at my girlfriends place. It gets super cold out here so it will test the RTT tonight.
IMG_3921.JPG
A greater detail of my pack. I've added a small shelf above the fridge to store a wolf pack for dry food. All the food is then in the one place. A 20/25l water can will fit on the far right next to the kitchen. Chairs and coffee table are on the kitchen. Behind that is the RTT annex room and a second water can. Behind the fridge is my 120w portable solar panel, air compressor and hose, socket set and wheel ramps to get the tent level.

Back seat has clothes, electronics and an ice box for fresh produce we pick up along the way

The roof rack has 4 maxtrax, shovel, high lift jack and a toolbox for car spares, non frequent tools and recovery gear.

Everything has a place, is easy to access and there is plenty more room

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

IMG_3954.JPG Well we're a couple of days into our big trip and everything is going great! The little Datsun is loving the open road and all the mods are working a treat. The roof rack is a bit noisy (clunky on bumps) so I'll take a look at that over the coming days IMG_3961.JPGIMG_3968.JPG

Reactions: bjy10