Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
BTW, before we put the OME 2620 coils in the rear I slapped in some AirLift 1000 air bags as a quick fix for a trip. Here's a little video mini-review i did on those:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Last night, after months of just running a 45L cooler on the fridge slider I installed, I actually put a fridge on it. The Black Forest Gear fridge slider I got for free, and the tray is a bit skinny, so I was a bit limited on what I could fit on there. I ended up finding out from a friend about his 51L "cheap ebay fridge" that he has been running for a couple years that would fit perfectly. I hunted around for a good price since there are many brands that sell the same fridge with prices that are all over the place, some up to like $800. Found it on the Costway website for only ~$370 shipped! The S*ittybuilt fridge cover also was known to fit this perfectly, so I picked up one of those, too.

I'm thinking of this fridge as a short-term item so I don't have to swap out the existing slider. I'm not worried about it lasting at least through the two big trips we have from now until the end of the year. I'll run it until it dies and then swap everything out and pick up an Engel and a larger slider. If this fridge lives for multiple years, i'll be even more happy about the price. Now that I have this bit set up, I can finally start measuring to build out some drawers and storage on the right

Here it is all tucked away

slid out (with cameo by my 10yo son)

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thanks, Gabe!

I should update this thread a bit. I've started building out a galley in the back, i'll probably put a video covering the build up on my YouTube channel in the near future, but here's a peek at the little bit of progress so far. I just started the build this Sunday, hoping to finish it up and getting it painted and coated in truck liner before i leave for the Overland Bound Rally next Thursday

Quick brainstorming sketch of the design, things have moved around a bit, but generally this is what i'm going for:
20180921_124137-1.jpg

I'm a dork, and I wanted to be able to play around with placement and make sure I had all my measurements correct, so I also mocked up most of it inside Autodesk Fusion 360. It's a full 3D model, but here's the front Sketch:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.18.18 AM.png
The progress so far:
20180925_103055.jpg

and here's the power panel that i'll be slapping into that upper right corner:
20180925_103108.jpg

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

That is awesome, I wish I had those skills. It looks great.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@gabe I definitely don't have the skills, hah. I love doing the electrical stuff, but this cabinet building is _really_ hard :( I actually scrapped the one in that photo above and redid the main surround in 3/4 in plywood. Here it is in its current almost-functionally-complete-but-not-aesthetically-pleasing-to-look-at state. I've been trying to build this as fast as possible since we head out of town on Thursday morning and i'd like to have this in the jeep for the trip. My current thinking is that this is now just a functional prototype. I think I want to rebuild the whole thing using 80/20 so that it's super sturdy and super square. my current wood cabinet building skills just aren't up to snuff, so all the drawers are like 1/16-1/8" off kilter which looks pretty funny when they're all closed.

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

Great thread and build. I have a 2013 JKUR that is also a work in progress. The wife complains that the complete lift kit that is sitting in the living room needs to be moved. I guess I need to do the install ASAP. I have been looking at building me a rear compartment for my ARB Fridge and other items. The slide out that ARB sells is $$$$$. I think that I can build my own up and half that and also the way that I want it.

Heading to Texas Outdoor Expo in about 10 days and I am more that sure that I will get some great ideas there also.

Safe travels!!!

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thanks @CCTX50!

I know what you mean about the crazy cost of most sliders. Thankfully I kind of lucked out and participated in a promotion for a parts supplier where I was refunded the full cost of my slider in return for writing the install guide for it. Win win!

Have fun at the TX Outdoor Expo. I was interested in going but it overlaps our trip around CA that we're doing when we leave the Overland Bound Rally this weekend

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Last Wed night I managed to get the drawer system all installed and wired into Jolene in time to head out Thursday morning to start working our way north towards the Overland Bound West Rally. Turned out "good enough". I also wired in an RGB LED strip which is a total game changer. We've been using the drawers and lighting setup for 5 days now and it's working out great. I should have built these a long time ago.
20181003_191038.jpg 20181003_221855.jpg

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Awesome looking rig!!!![emoji106][emoji109][emoji95]

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Ever think about a beefed up tailgate swing arm to handle the additional weight of the larger tire, anything you put in the trasharoo (yousaid firewood which could add some lbs), and the extra fuel tank? Even a partially filled tank will add some heft and stress when it is open. I've read some articles where people say adding anything bigger than at 35" tire would be a good point to add a stronger tailgate.

Reactions: Drifterman

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@dougie117

Yep! That's in the plan. Right now we have ~34" tires and that 13gal tank. We rarely keep fuel in that tank to keep the weight down. There have only been two times where we've fueled it up because we knew that the planned route took us far enough from gas station range. all other trips it remains empty. We pretty much only keep trash in the trasharoo now, so the weight is probably only a few pounds at most in there.

Do you have any recommendations for some beefier tailgate hinges? I should probably do this mod relatively soon now that i think about it more

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

@dougie117

Yep! That's in the plan. Right now we have ~34" tires and that 13gal tank. We rarely keep fuel in that tank to keep the weight down. There have only been two times where we've fueled it up because we knew that the planned route took us far enough from gas station range. all other trips it remains empty. We pretty much only keep trash in the trasharoo now, so the weight is probably only a few pounds at most in there.

Do you have any recommendations for some beefier tailgate hinges? I should probably do this mod relatively soon now that i think about it more
I don't. I don't have any plans for any mods that would require that. I run 33's so I have that on the swing gate and a CB antenna but I don't see any future mods that would have me looking into that. I don't know anyone with an upgraded hinges or the like. I guess check build forums or gear forums?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I just published a new vlog over on YouTube that goes over some of the highlights from our 11-day trip that included the Overland Bound Rally.

Reactions: chithead

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Great looking build! Going though the tread really makes me miss AZ and want to trade my F150 in for a Wrangler lol
Thanks! Yeah, aside from the better (subjective, possibly) trail capability, the availability of custom parts and modifications is just about unbeatable with wranglers