Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

Greetings all, and welcome to my build thread!

This build thread is devoted to my 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport FDII. I bought it new back in July 2016, and it came with the bluetooth radio, air conditioning, and FDII. No power windows, doors, or mirrors. I have taken it offroad a few times, just short day trips around the Vegas area. It is an outstanding vehicle for what it is. Quiet to drive long-distances (longest so far is to San Diego and back), and pretty competent offroad (it's no Wrangler or FJ Cruiser, but it does well for what it is). My current modifications to it are an AntennaX 13" off-road antenna and a K&N air filter.
My future plans for it are to build it into a Trailhawk model. In terms of physical appearance, this will involve putting a Trailhawk badge on, powerdercoating the tow hooks red, and maybe painting the wheels and other badges gloss black. And lots of stickers
In terms of actual modification, I plan:
RRO lift with 235/65R17 a/t tires of some sort
RRO supersliders
RRO brush guard w/ IPF lights
Gibson cat-back exhaust
Maybe a roof rack of some sort, still not sure on this

In the garage

Offroad
Side note on this picture, this is as close as I could get to replicating the photo I took on my very first offroad trip back in 2014

First oil change stuffs (3600 miles)

Last edited:
Reactions: LCM_Scott

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

Thanks! Yeah, this thread and my activity on this forum will be geared towards the Patriot. The K1500 is a long-term project, and is getting a body-off resto-mod into a trail rig. It may or may not ever see overland duty, as my plans for it are mostly a survival/hunting rig.

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

-que sad music- I think we should petition Jeep to put actual all terrains on the trail-rated stuff. At least the FD2 Patriots come with full-size spare tires... 3700 miles and I already have the spare tire on... And I can't even really argue that I need new tires to get off of my spare, seeing as the spare is the exact same tire, just on a different 17" wheel

Ttwixxxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

-que sad music- I think we should petition Jeep to put actual all terrains on the trail-rated stuff. At least the FD2 Patriots come with full-size spare tires... 3700 miles and I already have the spare tire on... And I can't even really argue that I need new tires to get off of my spare, seeing as the spare is the exact same tire, just on a different 17" wheel

When I worked at a dealership (Chevy not jeep) the first thing people would do is buy a set of new tires. The tires put on at the factory on any car or truck, in my opinion, are the cheapest tires ever manufactured.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Guilty of changing the tires on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good year fortuna's........bleh. replaced them with as big as I could fit nitto Terra grappler's g2.

Reactions: Ttwixxxx

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

Guilty of changing the tires on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good year fortuna's........bleh. replaced them with as big as I could fit nitto Terra grappler's g2.
Yeah. I'm probably going to get Kumho AT51s. It came stock with Goodyear SR-A's, which they also put on the base model Wranglers. Ha. Like the SR-A is supposed to go anywhere near an actual trail

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

So here is a quasi-update. Decided upon a nickname for my Jeep: Wildcat. Named after the F4F in WW2, it was small, stubby, and slow, but performed better than most people give it credit for. Perfect analogy between a classic American warplane and my Patriot

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app