Launch Member

Influencer II

Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Heibel
Member #

Phase I of the build is complete. Started with the base Jeep Rubicon. 1st addition was the Gobi Stealth Rack. Had to have somewhere to put all the camping gear. Thanks to the Overland Bound site, I was able to get some great ideas for packing. Camping gear is now in their proper storage containers and ready to go on top. Next addition to the Jeep was the key safety features. The winch. However, the winch does not attach well to the Jeep front bumper, so of course that had to change. Installed a lowered Aluminum RockHard bumper (went with the lighter weight for less wear and tear on the engine). The winch sits low, so the vehicle still gets plenty of airflow to the radiatior and has better winching capabilities due to it's lower center of gravity. Added the standard recovery gear and fire extinguisher. Next was communication. CB radio installed to chat back and forth with those we are exploring with. Also added a second rear tow hook. Just in case. Last installed a table on the rear door of the Jeep. Convenient for making those sandwiches on the trail. Looking forward to getting out on the trails with the Overland Bound gang.IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0212.JPG

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Looks like this is going to be a very clean, well thought out build. I don't know why, but I tend to like the simpler JK builds over the extravagant, 6 inch lift on 37 inch tire JKs. An aftermarket roof rack with a utilitarian design and a slight lift is all they seem to need, as they're so capable in stock form.

Also, yours is my favorite color on the JKURs. If I drove one it would absolutely have to be in that forest green color. No bones about it.

John_Heibel

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Heibel
Member #

Thanks. I love the tank color as well. I like to keep things simple as well and when I first was in the market for the jeep I was not quite sure of the type of Jeep it would be. New I did not want a hard core rock crawling one. Then I found Overland Bound and said that's the type of exploring I'm looking for. Next phase will be a mild lift with 33's, but that won't happen until the current tires wear out and I get some camping/exploring under my belt again.

Reactions: stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Thanks. I love the tank color as well. I like to keep things simple as well and when I first was in the market for the jeep I was not quite sure of the type of Jeep it would be. New I did not want a hard core rock crawling one. Then I found Overland Bound and said that's the type of exploring I'm looking for. Next phase will be a mild lift with 33's, but that won't happen until the current tires wear out and I get some camping/exploring under my belt again.
I'm mimicking your build . No bumper or winch or table yet. And mild lift and 33s are in the future. Can't throw away good tires lol

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Nice build so far. I have a similar Smittybilt winch. I think it's the 9500 XRC or something like that. Anyway, how has your winch been holding up? Have you used it much? I've only used mine for moving a tree once. I hear good and bad about Smittybilt but I am on a budget and it was the most affordable with synthetic line.

Reactions: stoney126

TheRubiconLife

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, GA
Member #

Like the mods. How do you like the Gobi rack ? I have been trying to figure out if I what to go with the Gobi or the rhino low profile.