Last Name
Russell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DDY
Service Branch
First Responder Ret.
Hi all,
I recently made the switch from Jeep to 4runner. I am looking for recommendations as to brands and size of lifts. I am an avid hunter / fisherman and overlander. At the time of this message my upgrade list is short (cbi swing out rear bumper (Oct delivery), gobi rack (done soon), wheels and bfg 275/70/17 K02's (this week)). I am by no means into just the looks, but rather functionality and enhancing an already well designed package. Any input based upon experience would be greatly appreciated.

Mike (#1880)

Reactions: Chris Zawacki

Chris Zawacki

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA
Member #

Id say the most popular ones are Old Man Emu, and they just changed their design that looks really nice. Also the Boss system from Toytec is popular and depending on what you want to spend ICON makes some really nice suspension kits.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

My plan was going to be the icon stage 2 kit.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I sure would like to hear some first hand reviews on lift kits. Anyone want to chime in?

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I sure would like to hear some first hand reviews on lift kits. Anyone want to chime in?
I installed the Icon Stage 2 kit this past spring on my 2015 Trail w/kdss. I have a Gobi rack, awning, cooler slide out, stove and TruckVault that I keep loaded most of the time so needed to beef up the springs in the rear at least. The truck was feeling a little mushy when loaded for the weekend with the stock stuff. I ended up with Icon's progressive "expedition" springs, rear track bar and UCAs in the front in addition to the rear shocks and front coil overs... When I first picked it up from the shop (I had some old racing friends do the install) it was a tad taller than I expected, but seems to have settled in at about 2 3/4 -3 inches taller from where I started. Getting the caster where it needed to be was iffy without the UCAs and the runner was a little flighty on the highway at speed. Nothing I couldn't handle, but bought the UCAs anyway. The line up is perfect and the truck handles great now. The more I carry the better it rides off road.

If you plan on carrying a bunch of stuff, the expedition springs are great, but if you travel off the beaten path empty they are a little stiff. I know a lot of people like the Swayaway springs or OME, but I wanted to stay with a setup designed to work together. My research pointed me to Icon. They seem to have it figured out...

On another note... I blew a front shock this summer ( bad O ring and a killer pot hole) and the guys at Icon turned it around in a day and overnighted it back. Great customer service. Stuff happens, deal with it. I used the need for a fresh line up to add the UCAs.

Crossing.jpg CargoBay.jpg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
OME is the best of the budget stuff. It's what I have on my FJ. Next level up is Icon. OME also has adjustable coilovers now.

Reactions: 1derer

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I will be installing the Toytec BOSS, Total Chaos UCAs, and OME Dakar leafs this winter. All of those come highly recommended!

As long as you stay with well-known brands, you're probably fine.

NWoverlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Graham, WA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DDY
Service Branch
First Responder Ret.
Update: After all of your input and my own research, I went with the Icon Stage 7 with the overland rear springs. So far so good. I am very happy with the quality of product, customer service, ease of install and alignment adjustability.

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Update: After all of your input and my own research, I went with the Icon Stage 7 with the overland rear springs. So far so good. I am very happy with the quality of product, customer service, ease of install and alignment adjustability.
Pictures?

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

I will be going with the BP-51 by OME this Summer. Love their stuff and they took years to develop this suspension. Can't wait!

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Great lifts mentioned! Cool pics too. I went with the Toytec Ultimate Lift with Bilsteins and I did the Camburg UCA's! Hard to go wrong with any lifts mentioned in this thread!