Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Anyone willing to show how they mounted their Ham? I have an ICOM 5100a, i'd like to see how everyone is using their setups in their rigs. I have the full center console, was going to mount the head unit under the cig adapters in that multi-tiered phone holder up front of the center console, but want ideas.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I had plenty of time to plan a bit, in case your curious: After pulling a postive and negative wire off spools and wrapping them, i realized my truck has a ground sensor which just negated all of my nice wire work, and it is recommended to not use the ground from the battery. I think I have a plan, about the ground sensor situation to get power in the cab. I plan on putting the head unit on a CD slot mount, and the body in my center console. Run a positive to a bluesea box either in the center console or under rear seats, and grab a ground from under the rear seat from chassis. Using a fender mount for my antenna for now.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I had plenty of time to plan a bit, in case your curious: After pulling a postive and negative wire off spools and wrapping them, i realized my truck has a ground sensor which just negated all of my nice wire work, and it is recommended to not use the ground from the battery. I think I have a plan, about the ground sensor situation to get power in the cab. I plan on putting the head unit on a CD slot mount, and the body in my center console. Run a positive to a bluesea box either in the center console or under rear seats, and grab a ground from under the rear seat from chassis. Using a fender mount for my antenna for now.
Technically the ground cab be placed anywhere. The battery is the most commonly recommended location but any body panel that is well grounded will work. I once used a seat bolt as my ground and it worked well.