Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I am looking at possibly trading for a Ford Explorer. With three kids all in boosters and car seats, I really need the space inside the vehicle. We would never do long trips in the vehicle loaded down with gear.

I am looking at enjoying dirt roads and lesser maintained state park paths. Possibly hauling a small travel trailer somewhere within a state or so for some weekend hiking. I know they aren’t the most capable rig as far as technical trail driving, but feel it should be sufficient for what I’m looking for with some decent A/T tires.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the subject. I mainly want something with space for the family that can be bought affordable with low miles to be the daily driver.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I am looking at possibly trading for a Ford Explorer. With three kids all in boosters and car seats, I really need the space inside the vehicle. We would never do long trips in the vehicle loaded down with gear.

I am looking at enjoying dirt roads and lesser maintained state park paths. Possibly hauling a small travel trailer somewhere within a state or so for some weekend hiking. I know they aren’t the most capable rig as far as technical trail driving, but feel it should be sufficient for what I’m looking for with some decent A/T tires.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the subject. I mainly want something with space for the family that can be bought affordable with low miles to be the daily driver.
If you are going to go that route why not just get a base 4runner or Cherokee / Grand Cherokee trailhawk. At least you'll have some capability and no regrets later.

Reactions: M Rose

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

you can buy any vehicle you like , as long is .......TOYOTA :grin::grin:
the truth is , they are most reliable cars/suv/trucks on the planet , keep searching , keep reading , do not get fooled with some useless gizmos .
at list make sure is "on frame" body ,
and after your decision post here , maybe we all can learn something

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I've done a segment of the Enchanted Rockies Trail near Colorado Springs in a 2017 Sport model. You can see the washboard in the first pic. No fun on 50 series tires, since you can't air down.

wtw 13.jpgIMG_1671.JPG

sgthusk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1773 Steward Harbough Road, Williamsburg, Ohio 45176, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Huskey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W8JWH
I have an Escape and often while softroading I find myself surrounded by only jeeps and side by sides. A couple weekends ago it snowed here in southern Ohio and we went out exploring. We saw about four side by sides. Those folks looked miserably cold. And there we were on heated seats. Lol. Anyway, you’d be surprised where an explorer can take you. I know they are bigger and more clearance than our little escape. We wanted some thing tiny. We have a daughter in New York City and I hate having to park anywhere around there. Our other daughter is an hour and a half from the nearest grocery store in South Dakota where many roads are gravel. It works great both places. But if you do go that way pay attention to what features you’re getting. We purposely picked the model with small rims so we’d have more rubber between us and the road. And of course added AT tires, it came with low rolling resistance tires. Also remember a sunroof cuts down on roof load rates and leaves less room for mag-mount antennas if that’s important to you. They can get you to some amazing places but they have their limits. They are unibodies, not real frame on trucks. The Escape is not our ultimate dream overlander by far but it does what we wanted it to and we have lots of fun. Just know the limits.
Oh I am a Pipefitter for Ford so of course buy a Ford. I wish Ford had more to offer the overlander. Or maybe I should say “something” to offer. Maybe the Bronco will be it.
IMG_6399.JPGIMG_6427.JPGIMG_6429.JPG

Attachments

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I have also been looking at all the details @sgthusk with looking to trade. I have been paying attention to whether or not it has roof rails already installed. A tow hitch seems to be the biggest thing missing, but easily done on a Saturday morning. Sadly I’ve looked at Toyota and Jeep, but there is just nothing I can afford (without putting my debt load sky high) or that fits three car seats. I thought for sure the Grand Cherokee was going to fit the bill but it didn’t. Same with the VW Touareg and Nissan Frontier. The fit seems to be the Explorer when it comes to what I can get for the money without extending my payment out to 3+ years.
I’ve also found a company that does make bolt on leveling kits for Explorers. I’m seriously tempted to take a look at them to see if I could get better tires underneath it. Either way I’ve been making sure to look for one with 18” wheels instead of 19 or 20”. I think it would work for our needs, but who really knows till I buy it I guess.

Timmy92

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nebraska
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Liebentritt
I’d go Tahoe or expedition.. definitely nothing smaller than an explorer. Might be easier to find off road parts/accessories for a tahoe. 3 kids..might want to go for a larger suv.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I owned a first gen Explorer (well still do now that I think about it) for three teens it’s too small... it has just as much kido room as my second gen Ram, and less interior room than my 4th gen Bronco... and now that the kids (all but 1) have left the nest, I finally found a third row seating 4Runner that I can afford to buy outright... look for a second or third generation 4Runner, they can be had under 5,000 and some of the second gems can be had at around 2,000 needing a new engine that can be had for another 1,600.

@Smileyshaun has some info on doing a exhaust cross over delete mod that keeps the 3.0 from having head gasket issues ever again. So for 4,000 you could have a real nice Runner.