2015 WK2 Overland

• HTML tutorial

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Back in 2015, I was tired of driving my truck on the long daily commute to and from downtown LA. And my wife was even more tired of me using her car. My truck was an '03 and hers was an '08. So we had enjoyed being without payments for quite some time. But it was finally time for something new. So I set out looking for a new rig to serve double duty as my daily driver and weekend adventure vehicle. As I mentioned, my commute is long with lots of traffic. So I was looking for something that got decent mileage, was comfortable, yet still capable. After researching for a bit, I narrowed it down to a 4runner or a Grand Cherokee. I wasn't familiar with the term "Overlanding" at the time. But I love camping and I was interested in doing some off road exploring. And I felt like those 2 vehicles fit the bill for me. After checking them both out, the WK2 Overland won me over due to the incredibly smooth riding air suspension, the AC seats, and the 0% financing they were offering.

This build is spread out over the last 2 and half years and will be pretty much in chronilogical order.

Here she is the day I picked her up...
SAM_6730.JPG

Since she was going to serve double duty, I had already planned on having 2 sets of wheels. And since I was a big fan of the Altitude appearance package, I wanted those 20's for the street. So as part of the deal, I had negotiated a set of powdercoated 20's that resembled the Altitude wheels instead of the 18's that come with the ORA II package. A few days after taking purchase she went back to the dealer to have the Overland 20's swapped out for the powdercoated ones...
IMG_6955.JPG IMG_6951.JPG

Here's the first and most important after purchase mod...
IMG_6961.JPG

Next up were a set of BRIGHTLINES cross bars that I got off of Amazon (need to sell these now).
IMG_0828.JPG

Now it was time for the off road wheels. Going with 18's over the 20's would provide a little more sidewall and allow me to air down the tires a little on the trail. I settled on some 18x9 MBTKO Wheels with +25 offset and stock size Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. In hindsight I wish I'd have gotten the 17's for even more tire sidewall. They would fit since I don't have the HD brakes. But I didn't know that at the time.
IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0122.JPG

Last edited:

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

At this point I had a few more mods I wanted to do. But I had taken her out on a few trails and was pretty happy with the vehicle. But then through googling and talking to a few people I discovered this new to me term called "Overlanding". So I found inspiring sites like this and then the mod bug really got me.

It was Black Friday and there was a great deal on a wifi only iPad Mini 2. So navigation became the next mod. I have it running MotionX GPS and getting GPS signal via bluetooth from a Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro that I picked up on Amazon.
IMG_9259.JPG IMG_9262.JPG IMG_9314.JPG

Followed immediately by comms...
IMG_9250.JPG IMG_9263.JPG IMG_9268.JPG

To air up after hitting the trails, I was using one of those heavy duty battery jump packs that had a little air compressor built in to it. But it was really slow to fill up tires. And then I learned of a perfect spot to mount a small ARB compressor under the hood. So...
IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

One of the most vulnerable parts of the WK2 out on the trail, unless you got the Trailhawk, are the side skirts. Since I could not source a set of Mopar rails, I went with sliders from Uneek4x4. They weren't the easiest to install. But that was my fault for having dull drill bits. But I love them and they have paid for themselves!
IMG_9275.JPG IMG_9308.JPG

Last edited:

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Looming in the near future was my first overlanding trip. So it was time to think about cargo storage. The tie-down rings in the cargo area can't support much weight. So I installed some steel rings onto the body bolts and use straps to secure the Pelican cooler and Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes...
IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_9256.JPG

Next up was a Wilco Hitchgate Solo to carry a spare, extra fuel and a Trasharoo...
IMG_9244.JPG

Our trip was to be a dads and kids trip. And the other 2 dads both had RTT's. Once my daughter caught wind of that, I had to bite the bullet. Front Runner Slimline II rack and Tepui Kukenam Sky tent...
IMG_9301.JPG IMG_0639.JPG

The last thing that I wanted to do before the trip was the other vulnerable area of the WK2 which is the plastic sump guard. I replaced that with a Chiefs Products plate. Good thing, too. As I bashed a large rock on that trip.
IMG_0590.JPG

Last edited:

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Before my most recent trip, I got to install a couple of new things. First was the lower front protection from Chiefs. In the last photo, you can see where the sump plate took a big rock hit from that first trip.
IMG_9287.JPG IMG_9289.JPG IMG_9309.JPG

And lastly added a go pro mount and camp floodlight from Front Runner. Used the floodlamp once at camp. But forgot to take a pic. So this will do for now.
IMG_9310.JPG IMG_9278.JPG IMG_9322.JPG

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed the build. I'll post any future mods here, as well. I've already had a ton of fun with this vehicle. Here are a few doing just that...
IMG_0636.JPG IMG_1468.jpg IMG_1396.jpg gp_offroad.jpg

Last edited:

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Very appropriate build choices and thanks for posting. My wife's DD is a '14 JGC Overland Diesel, and we've used it on numerous trips pulling our VMI Offroad trailer. I'm afraid I've taken it places I shouldn't have without better tires, sliders and extra undercarriage protection. When the OE tires wore out, I did replace them with KO2 LT's. Instead of building up her vehicle, I solved the problem by trading in my '12 Rubicon 2-door for a new Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel. Now I can pull the trailer with either vehicle, use the ZR2 for day trips and gnarly stuff and use the JGC for really long road trips.

Reactions: GPsGeeps

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Very appropriate build choices and thanks for posting. My wife's DD is a '14 JGC Overland Diesel, and we've used it on numerous trips pulling our VMI Offroad trailer. I'm afraid I've taken it places I shouldn't have without better tires, sliders and extra undercarriage protection. When the OE tires wore out, I did replace them with KO2 LT's. Instead of building up her vehicle, I solved the problem by trading in my '12 Rubicon 2-door for a new Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel. Now I can pull the trailer with either vehicle, use the ZR2 for day trips and gnarly stuff and use the JGC for really long road trips.
Pretty good combo there with the GC and the ZR2. I miss the utility aspect of having a truck. The midsize market for overlanding has gotten alot stronger with the additions of the ZR2 and now the Ranger. My wife's DD is going on 10 years now and with almost 180k on the odo, I find myself thinking more and more about those 2 and the Tacoma.

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

A few build related updates...

This morning I swapped out my stock fog bulbs for some yellow ones. I'll try to post a pic of that in the next day or 2. I am also swapping out my stock size Duratrac's for General Grabber's new A/T X's in the 275/65R18 size. Those are supposed to be ready to go on tomorrow. And then next week I am getting some (or maybe all) of the chrome trim pieces wrapped in satin black. Trying to decide if I want to wrap the door handles or have them painted.

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

So here are the yellow fogs. They're not LED. They're just direct replacements that I bought off of Amazon for relatively cheap. They're Hella H11 Xenon Yellow bulbs. And since the lower valence was already off, it was only a 5 minute swap without moving wheel liners or anything else.

IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2110.JPG IMG_2040.JPG
These cellphone pics don't do them justice. But I like how they break up all of the black and white.

Last edited:

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The new tires also went on over the weekend. 275/65R18 General Grabber A/T X. They are about 1.5" taller than stock size. The front tires just barely nick the front edge of the flares when turning in park mode. Not a concern for me though, as I only plan to run these on off road trips and I can disable auto park mode. My initial impression of them compared to the Duratracs is that they are HEAVY. Don't think I'd want to run these on a DD. But handling feels comparable and they are MUCH quieter. Hopefully I'll be able to get these out on the dirt in the near future.

IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2104.JPG

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

Tires look great. Yellow fogs look great. Rig looks great!

Are those A/T Xs more aggressive than the A/T2s? Or do they replace the A/T2s?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tires look great. Yellow fogs look great. Rig looks great!

Are those A/T Xs more aggressive than the A/T2s? Or do they replace the A/T2s?
Thanks! I don't have any experience with the AT2's. But the ATX's are supposed to be their successor. Same inner tread pattern. More aggressive outer tread. And sidewall strength of the X3. Just broke them in on the the Mojave Trail where they performed great.