Launch Member

Member I

Hesperia, CA, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Irizarry
Member #

Looking for input on what type of suspension some members have ran on a 4th gen ram 2500 Diesel. Looking I to icon front springs and would like to get their full set up but going to have to do it slowly. I was thinking about ordering their front 2.5 springs to remove the spacers on my truck and then pairing it with Bilstein 5100 (found a great deal on front and rear set $240 new)until I can afford to upgrade to more of the icon set. I feel the spacers are rough but it's how I purchased a the truck. I tow a toy hauler and daily the truck so looking for a happy medium. Any input is appreciated. IMG_20190901_191039_700.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I’m running the bilstein 5162 2.3 inch front springs with 5160 shocks front and rear. I’m very pleased with the ride. Shop around and you can get the springs and shocks for under 1k which is a great buy for reservoir shocks.
The 5100 stocks are pretty stiff but they are an even cheaper option.

Reactions: OffRoadIcon

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
My 2015 Ram 2500 diesel is also just leveled. It does the job but has limitations.
I am looking at the AEV setup. It moves the front axle forward 1.5 ". It also fixes the coil springs by placing them back where they belong.
I like this lift the best because it's a minimalistic approach. Just enough lift to fit run 38" plus tires, while keeping the center of gravity low. It also retains most of the factory suspension which has been R&D'd to be bullet proof.

Reactions: OffRoadIcon

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

I'm currently running icon's stage 2 4.5" lift on my 06 cummins I have no complaints about it, works great ride is nice both on and off road. My one complaint comes when I wanted to upgrade the 2.5" lift block to the add a pack they advertise in their stage 4&5 kits apparently they don't make leaf packs anymore or not for the HD rams. Honestly if I were to do it all over again I'd go with one of the companies that specializes in suspension for the heavy duty market check out CJC off road Carli Suspension and also check out Thuren Suspension and Dodge offroad

Last edited:

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Thurens website has some very helpful information about understanding the Ram suspension. Due to the geometry involved, 2-3 inches seems to be the sweet spot on these trucks.
There is two ways to get the desired height, coils and spacers. My understanding of the AEV lift is that it is a very well engineered and expensive spacer lift. The pro to that is you keep your factory payload rating. The cons are that you do not get increased suspension travel.
If you go with a quality coil spring lift then you get the benefit of the additional 2-3 inches of travel. They also usually use a softer spring to improve ride quality. The Con to this method is that you will be reducing payload to roughly that of a half ton.
I bought a heavy duty truck because I needed that towing and payload capacity. I wanted the ride quality and increased travel from a coil spring kit, but not the payload reduction
I my case leveling the front with coils, keeping the stock rear coils, and upgrading shocks all the way around was the best compromise I could do.

OffRoadIcon

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hesperia, CA, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Irizarry
Member #

Thank you everyone for you input. Its tough although I totally understand that I have a 2500 and it will always be a stiff ride with no load on the truck, its hard to get beat up every time we hit a trail lol... @Salty4Life & @Cummins_Overland I had looked into the Thuren because I do want to get their sway bar, but I continue to look at Icon since I already have their track bar. The other part is I am slowing looking at adding a bed overland rack and a roof top tent so that would help the stock rear suspension with the weight. It's tough wish I could ride in someones rig that already had a set up. Appreciate the input from everyone. Thank you. Attached a photo of this weekend to show what its it doing stock with front spacers
DSC_1481.JPG

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Thank you everyone for you input. Its tough although I totally understand that I have a 2500 and it will always be a stiff ride with no load on the truck, its hard to get beat up every time we hit a trail lol... @Salty4Life & @Cummins_Overland I had looked into the Thuren because I do want to get their sway bar, but I continue to look at Icon since I already have their track bar. The other part is I am slowing looking at adding a bed overland rack and a roof top tent so that would help the stock rear suspension with the weight. It's tough wish I could ride in someones rig that already had a set up. Appreciate the input from everyone. Thank you. Attached a photo of this weekend to show what its it doing stock with front spacers
View attachment 123077
Putting weight in the bed definitely smooths out the ride. I alway carry about 500 pounds of tools in the bed of my truck. Also I air down my tires to 55 front and 45 rear and that also makes a difference. If your in south Florida you can take a ride in my truck. Maybe by then I’ll have Thurens sway bar.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Putting weight in the bed definitely smooths out the ride. I alway carry about 500 pounds of tools in the bed of my truck. Also I air down my tires to 55 front and 45 rear and that also makes a difference. If your in south Florida you can take a ride in my truck. Maybe by then I’ll have Thurens sway bar.

edit: also you don’t have to run strictly icon parts. You could have an Icon track bar(as long as its adjustable) and a Thuren sway bar, and whatever springs you want as long as they are between 1-3 inches of lift height.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Carli is the king of Dodge suspension. Call them and tell them what you want to do with you truck. If you can ask for Radar. I and 3 other I know have used them, we’re all very pleased with what we changed to. Now of us have all the same components. They are on line.

OffRoadIcon

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hesperia, CA, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Irizarry
Member #

@Salty4Life thank you for the offer but i live in southern California. @MMc did you run the 2.5 or the 3.25 lift.? There is someone in northen CA selling new set of coils for a 2.5 carli level kit for $300. Doesn't seem like a bad price if they are new.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

2.5 lift and a progressive leaf springs, Fox all the way around, by-pass up frt. The progressive springs are the best ride going.

OffRoadIcon

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hesperia, CA, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Irizarry
Member #

Well I will be picking up those Carli front coils today so figured its a good cost for new coils and if I don't like them I could always resell them. Now on to save some money and get the shocks to go with them. Thanks for every ones input. If I am lucky maybe I can find a deal on those too.

Reactions: 1derer

Sean Silvera

Rank III

Traveler III

Woodacre, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Silvera
Member #

My two cents!!!! I have the AEV duelsport and its the best ride on a full size i have ever had!! Ive owned 3, 2500 Silverado diesels on leaf springs and nothing is like the Ram AEV. The thought on the AEV is that they utilize the stock springs that Ram put Millions of dollars into perfecting the ride. I love it!! The one necessity is replacing the stock ball joints with Dynatrac and adding the BD diesel steering box stabilizer. super smoooove!! i feel the same on the road as i do on the dirt at 80 mph with this ride

Reactions: RedDirtJoe405