2015 Maroc Challenge

• HTML tutorial

Paul Misencik

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Hello all! I'm new here, and thought this might be a good way to introduce myself. I'm also new to overlanding and off roading in general (although I have a deep history in competitive circuit racing and rally driving, which I am quite sure will help little and may hinder substantially. Hahaha!)

Anyway, I am an American living now in Spain, and I have entered the 2015 Maroc Challenge, an off road adventure rally through Morocco. It is held twice a year, in the spring and in the winter, and I will in the Winter edition, which kicks off in a little more than three months (December 6-12, 2015)

So I am preparing my trusty old Range Rover "Classic" for the challenge. It is a 1989 2-door Range Rover, with an injected 3.5L V-8 and 5-speed manual transmission. Right now it is pretty much all stock, but in nearly perfect mechanical shape, so it's a good base for a project.

I will likely lean heavily on this forum for advice and recommendations, and as I am a novice, your experience is always more than appreciated, so thank you in advance.

Oh, and although I have no connection to the event, if anyone is interested, the website for the Maroc Challenge is http://marocchallenge.es. (There is a pull down menu at the top right of the page to select your language.)

Cheers,
Paul Misencik
Javea, Alicante
Spain

Reactions: SLO Rob

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Welcome to the community @Paul Misencik ! Wow, sounds like you're in for a load of fun. How many total miles is the rally?
Looking forward to following along on your prep. You should start a build thread so we can watch your progress!

Paul Misencik

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Thank you! I will start a build thread, although it may not be as impressive as some of the rigs I see on here. Spain has much stricter laws regarding modifications to street-driven vehicles, which means lift kits and big tires and so forth are out of the question. Still, with careful planning I think I can come up with a good package that run pretty strongly. Who knows? Some people might find it interesting to know what is possible with a pretty stock-appearing vehicle. I also plan to shoot copious photos and video, and will upload as many as I can.

Total mileage for the Maroc Challenge always varies by the final route, which isn't provided to entrants until five days before the start of the event, but it's usually around 3000km. There is a route map on the web site that shows the general progression of each stage, but no specifics, and there is an official start in Alicante, Spain, followed by about 500kms of "transition" down to the ferry over to Morocco.

I am very happy to be here on the forum. I love the content, love the Instagram and Tumblr feeds, and really think you do great stuff. I have ordered my badge and some stickers and will try to represent the Overland Bound community as best as I can, not just in Morocco, but also in my various adventure driving around Spain.

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound community @Paul Misencik....Best of Luck in the Rally, sound like a great adventure. Do have an Instagram account we can follow?

Reactions: Michael

Paul Misencik

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Well, kind of. I run a small company out of here, buying classic vehicles and exporting them to the USA for resale. Series Land Rovers, mostly, but all sorts of stuff. Citroen 2CV's, Lancia Fulvias, Fiat 130's... But a lot of Land Rovers. So my Instagram account is that one, and it will have pretty much all the Maroc prep and Maroc updates on it. It is @valenciavehicles.com

I also have a Tumblr account, which sometimes has more on it. valenciaclassicvehicles.tumblr.com

And our web site has a "Journeys" section, which is essentially a blog about buying and driving classic vehicles, and I'll be posting daily updates before, during and after the Maroc Challenge there as well. It is www.valenciaclassicvehicles.com. Oh, and a Facebook page - facebook.com/valenciaclassicvehicles

Thanks for the warm welcome. I already feel at home.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

That looks like an outrageously great time. Welcome to OBF.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Paul,

Welcome on board. We are going to Morocco on the 8th of october. Doing a round trip for 3 weeks. Well, on the way back I could tell you all kind of things. IF........ my car and myself are still in one piece.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: Paul Misencik