2015 Forester dilemma.

• HTML tutorial

MikeyFoz

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maryland
Member #

Howdy everybody, just wanted to share the current state of my rig and see if anybody had any ideas for enhancing the durability of this machine. It's a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i (non-turbo) 6 speed manual trans. While it is great for commuting and outrageously comfortable, I realize it is no rock crawler. Still, I do plan on taking it on some milder trails from time to time and as any of us driving unibody rigs already know, damaging the body is just about the worst thing that could happen on a trip. Driveline components like axles can be easily replaced, but a bent body or frame would destroy a vehicle like this. I want to do what I can to protect the underside and especially the pinch welds along the sides beneath the doors. While rock sliders are the obvious option, they'll lessen ground clearance around the mid section and they are quite expensive. Does anybody have any suggestions for a way to really beef up the underbody without sacrificing other attributes?

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Check out a company called Sumo Suspension. They do a lot of lifts for subaru's but I know they were designing some protection parts a couple months ago

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: gloomxdoom

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
It seems the dilemma is lift the vehicle to prolong undercarriage damage or skid plates to protect the undercarriage from damage. Either way you will be needing skid plates, so that seems to be the 1st addition.

Reactions: K7CWJ

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I do have limited fab skills and access to fab tools, yes. Thought about building 1/8in steel covers but my skills are quite limited.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
I hear ya. Some if not most times it's easier and just as cost effective to buy and bolt on... fabing stuff is awesome but why reinvent the wheel.

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
For a lift there is also ADF in Sandy, OR, I am having their 2" lift installed the end of April. I have a 2017 Outback and the next on the adgenda will be Primitive skid plates, BFG AT Ko2's and I am needing some sliders and front lower body protection also. With the roof rack that is already installed that all I am planning right now.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Awesome to see another Subaru that wants to get dirty! It isn't a frail vehicle so I'd start with worrying a little less. To be honest the most limiting feature of the vehicle is the MT. Aside from that a lift, armor, and with some off road seat time you'll be surprising Jeeps on their own trails. I'd recommend ADF for the lift, Primitive for the armor (sliders not necessarily necessary), and LP Aventure to protect the front bumper.

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

You should check out my build thread.
As for recommendations I'd contact Anderson Design & Fabrication for a lift kit, Primitive Racing makes a good set of skid plates (front,mid,rear) as for your slider dilemma it's either lift and get sliders or cut and replace with steel 2x2 or 2x4.
Really it comes down to your driving ability and choices you make on the trail in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Awesome to see another Subaru that wants to get dirty! It isn't a frail vehicle so I'd start with worrying a little less. To be honest the most limiting feature of the vehicle is the MT. Aside from that a lift, armor, and with some off road seat time you'll be surprising Jeeps on their own trails. I'd recommend ADF for the lift, Primitive for the armor (sliders not necessarily necessary), and LP Aventure to protect the front bumper.
I'm hoping LP starts making bumper guards for older foresters.

I've got a 2012 and honestly I'm thinking I may have to get something custom fabbed.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'm hoping LP starts making bumper guards for older foresters.

I've got a 2012 and honestly I'm thinking I may have to get something custom fabbed.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they end up making one. For the vehicles they currently make it for they started with the current gen and have been working back. I assume you're not a fan of the Primitive option?

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they end up making one. For the vehicles they currently make it for they started with the current gen and have been working back. I assume you're not a fan of the Primitive option?
I just liked LP's style a little better because their design wrapped up under the bumper to guard a little further out.

I have nothing against Primitive, and they definitely makes good stuff. I'll likely snag a set of their plates in the nearish future, I just wanted something to wrap up a little further and provide a little guard for my bumper/headlights.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I just liked LP's style a little better because their design wrapped up under the bumper to guard a little further out.

I have nothing against Primitive, and they definitely makes good stuff. I'll likely snag a set of their plates in the nearish future, I just wanted something to wrap up a little further and provide a little guard for my bumper/headlights.
I don't fault you at all because I feel the same way. I just had an exchange with LP and they informed me that they will in fact be making one for your Forester. I love mine and I'm sure you will as well if thats the route you take.