Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
First Name
Ozzie
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

White Rim was fantastic. The only area we got close to having a problem was climbing Murphy Hogback. That was because a large bolder had fallen on the trail and it covered more than half the trail. We had to stack rocks to get over it since we could not go around it. Everything else was pretty easy, especially with a spotter in some areas. We stayed at White Crack Campsite because we only stayed on the trail for two days and that is half way. It was great, with some good hiking but no river access. It would have been nice to have our mountain bikes at camp with us.

View attachment 63491 White Crack Campsite
Looks like an awesome campsite [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Matt L.

Marlowe Fenne

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Love seeing your rig on here. I just bought an F150 Supercrew and have been searching high and low for inspiration, but haven’t found much. Plenty of Tacomas though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to see other F150 overlanders here. Thanks for posting!

Like you both, I have a newer one - 2016 Supercrew FX4 3.5 EB. My buddy with a Forerunner calls it the “aircraft carrier.”

I leveled it and put 33’s on it. My mileage dropped, but it’s WAY better off road now.

Just did a few of the Moab classics a few weeks ago, and have done much of the WABDR with it, and no worries other than a few light pin stripes that rubbed out.

Future mods will be limited, as it’s my daily driver, and we tow a big RV with it.

Have fun out there!

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Glad to see other F150 overlanders here. Thanks for posting!

Like you both, I have a newer one - 2016 Supercrew FX4 3.5 EB. My buddy with a Forerunner calls it the “aircraft carrier.”

I leveled it and put 33’s on it. My mileage dropped, but it’s WAY better off road now.

Just did a few of the Moab classics a few weeks ago, and have done much of the WABDR with it, and no worries other than a few light pin stripes that rubbed out.

Future mods will be limited, as it’s my daily driver, and we tow a big RV with it.

Have fun out there!
Can you tell me a little about the leveling kit you used? I am about to purchase and I am thinking about leveling and adding 1" in the rear. I am looking at a Rough Country kit that has rear shocks and a 1" rear block. I'm not sure the rear lift will be necessary.

Marlowe Fenne

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Can you tell me a little about the leveling kit you used? I am about to purchase and I am thinking about leveling and adding 1" in the rear. I am looking at a Rough Country kit that has rear shocks and a 1" rear block. I'm not sure the rear lift will be necessary.
Morning Matt:
I took the least expensive route and just had it done at Les Schwab along with the tires. It’s a simple 2” lift - a round aluminum block - that sits atop the shock towers up front.

That gave me room for 33” tires all around, which added clearance but still let’s me fit in most parking garages.

No need to lift the rear in my opinion. It’s now level.

I also looked at lift shocks and KO2’s at 4 Wheel Parts, but it would have cost almost 2x.

I’m not rock crawling, so it meets my needs just fine...for now. ;)

Hope this helps.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Morning Matt:
I took the least expensive route and just had it done at Les Schwab along with the tires. It’s a simple 2” lift - a round aluminum block - that sits atop the shock towers up front.

That gave me room for 33” tires all around, which added clearance but still let’s me fit in most parking garages.

No need to lift the rear in my opinion. It’s now level.

I also looked at lift shocks and KO2’s at 4 Wheel Parts, but it would have cost almost 2x.

I’m not rock crawling, so it meets my needs just fine...for now. ;)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick reply. Your right, lifting the rear might mean parking in the garage is no longer an option and I don't like leaving it in the summer sun. The front lift is probably plenty. I think I will order the 2" front spacers today.

Reactions: Marlowe Fenne

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Love that 80/20 Aluminum. I made a bedrack and a rear seat delete platform out of it.
I agree. I had two lengths left from another project that were already the correct length. It did not take me long to decide to use them for the bed rails to support the deck. Strong and light weight, the two big requirements.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I installed the 2.5 in lift back in December. I planned to add a winch bumper so I went with the extra 1/2 inch to allow for the weight of the new bumper. I have now decided to hold off on the bumper so the extra height is not necessary. That being said, a 2" lift would have been better since the top A-arm now touches the shock when fully extended and the truck is a little higher in front than the rear. It has given me the clearance I wanted and I like the look better.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Nice trip overview thanks for sharing. Also your truck looks better with the front lift for sure!

I'm working on getting a set of wheels for mine in the next couple weeks. Just debating 17s or 18s as I have newish 33 inch tires already on my stock 18s... but could do 17s and have a more aggressive looking setup and sell my stock wheels/tire combo to recoup some cash. Tough decision.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Nice trip overview thanks for sharing. Also your truck looks better with the front lift for sure!

I'm working on getting a set of wheels for mine in the next couple weeks. Just debating 17s or 18s as I have newish 33 inch tires already on my stock 18s... but could do 17s and have a more aggressive looking setup and sell my stock wheels/tire combo to recoup some cash. Tough decision.
I had better luck finding 17" tires in a pinch than with my current 18". I've had to locate tires twice while on trips and the tire shops in small towns don't always have a matching tire. That is probably just my experience but it might be the norm.

Reactions: flyingnome

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

I had better luck finding 17" tires in a pinch than with my current 18". I've had to locate tires twice while on trips and the tire shops in small towns don't always have a matching tire. That is probably just my experience but it might be the norm.
That's good to know. Luckily I havent had that issue yet. Was going to pick up a set of 5 wheels though to have one extra plus my standard spare.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Love your truck Matt L. I got a white 2015 F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost. I love my rig and I am currently waiting on the GFC to be installed on my rig.
I look forward to seeing your rig. Send me a link to any updates you put online.

Reactions: Jmau25

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I am leaving to do the first half of the NMBDR in Thursday morning with my 12 yr son. In prepping I mounted the ax and shovel under the shelf...
IMG_0953.JPG

I also remounted the Hi-Lift and got an attachment that jacks from the wheel. I tested the wheel attachment and it works great. No damage to the truck and lifts it without a problem. I would not crawl under the truck with just the Hi-Loft holding it but it will give me room to get another support under if I need.
IMG_0954.JPG

I used Quick Fist Mounting hardware.

The truck also forced me to make one more mod.
IMG_0955.JPG

When I got in the truck to head to soccer practice it was dead, so new battery a day and a half before the trip.