2015 F150 Offroad - Just add dirt

• HTML tutorial

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

You don't see many full size trucks on Overland Bound but where I am from everyone has a full size truck for work and play. In the oil field you need a truck. The great thing about most 4x4's is, the only required upgrade for overlanding is dirt. Of course toys are fun and a few safety and reliability add-ons can make it more fun. Here's my F150:

Fun stuff from the factory:
1: 4x4
2: skid plates
3: Oversize fuel tank (almost 600 mile range)
4: Low range
5: Rear lockers

A month after I got the truck we had a Northern Arizona/Southern Utah trip planned. Because we would be on our own on the White Rim Road I wanted to upgrade the tires to my favorite BFG KO2 All-Terrains.
IMG_0334-2.jpg

I also like to have secure, dry storage so I added spray in bed liner and a camper shell.
IMG_0337-3.jpg

Once the camper shell was on I built a shelf to allow three Plano storage boxes under and bags, etc over.
IMG_0268-6.jpg

The Plano boxes are:
1: Recovery and Safety gear
2: Mobile kitchen
3: Dry goods and other supplies

Mounted on top of the shelf I have:
1: Tool box
2: Roto Pax fuel can
3: Fire extinguisher (mounted under the shelf)
IMG_0265-4.jpg IMG_0266-5.jpg

Ric0chet808

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sumner WA
Thanks for this post. I have a 2015 F150, I feel like the vehicles are underrated for overland. I have the 2.7 turbo. 50k miles and not a single issue. The only thing keeping me from doing more to my truck is that I want a crew cab, I currently have a supercab. So I know I will not be keeping my current rig long enough to justify doing much to it.

I am toying with the idea of a crew cab ranger next year, or sticking with the F150. Maybe even crew+6.5 bed. However I am concerned the length will get a hair much.

The struggle is real.

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

Can't go wrong with an F150 in my book. I think Matt L's truck is a perfect example of a clean and functional build for a full-size truck. I've had mine for going on six years and my brother has the 2017 Platinum edition. From what I've seen, the newer the truck the more capable they are off-road. Only downside for me being back east, is the trails are much tighter than out west. That said, I've had several Toyota Tacomas but the Ranger does really interest me. I'll probably keep the 150 if I ever get a smaller one.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I guess I should have mentioned the specs on the truck:

2015 Ford F-150
3.5 L Ecoboost
4X Offroad
Current mileage: ~55,000

I love how it runs but I am not looking forward to the day the turbo goes out.
It has been great for towing motorcycles and boats and the Sports setting on the transmission is fantastic for rough terrain when low range is not necessary. If you have not tried using the Sport mode while overlanding, give it a try. It makes the truck more responsive.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Love seeing your rig on here. I just bought an F150 Supercrew and have been searching high and low for inspiration, but haven’t found much. Plenty of Tacomas though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it seems Toyota and Jeep have the overlanding market pretty well covered. I'm planning to level the front soon because I keep dragging it. I'll post information when I get that done.

Reactions: Jason Jackson

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Love seeing your build! I’ve got a 2015 3.5 eco crew cab w 6.5’ box and love it!

Turbos going out is so overblown. Don’t worry about it and keep trucking.

Reactions: LMOSNOW and Matt L.

Ric0chet808

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sumner WA
People have been driving turbo diesels to the ends of the Earth. My confidence in gas turbos has greatly increased since my experience with mine. It's the same as most any other thing. Use high quality products and don't be stupid with them and they will usually last a long time. I Have No Reservations anymore when it concerns gas turbos. I think the benefits greatly outweigh potential cons. Especially if you're driving at high altitudes.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Thanks for sharing. I have a 2016 F-150 that I am using as my Daily/ overlanding rig. Love this 3.5 EcoBoost engine. How was White rim? I am looking at taking my kids out there this fall.

Reactions: Matt L.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Thanks for sharing. I have a 2016 F-150 that I am using as my Daily/ overlanding rig. Love this 3.5 EcoBoost engine. How was White rim? I am looking at taking my kids out there this fall.
White Rim was fantastic. The only area we got close to having a problem was climbing Murphy Hogback. That was because a large bolder had fallen on the trail and it covered more than half the trail. We had to stack rocks to get over it since we could not go around it. Everything else was pretty easy, especially with a spotter in some areas. We stayed at White Crack Campsite because we only stayed on the trail for two days and that is half way. It was great, with some good hiking but no river access. It would have been nice to have our mountain bikes at camp with us.

IMG_0437.JPG White Crack Campsite

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Hey thanks for the heads up. How far out did you book the camp site? Great photo btw
I booked a site about a month ahead, if I remember correctly. However, when we got there we changed our site to White Crack at the suggestion of a Ranger. Turned out we were the only people camping there that July 7, according to the Ranger. We had our choice of camp sites. Originally we booked a site on the Green river (Hardscrabble Bottom) with hopes of fishing and swimming, but we decided on White Crack to break the days up more evenly.

Reactions: flyingnome

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

That's good to know. I just found the reservation page so I can start checking dates. Were you on stock suspension other than the bigger tires?