• HTML tutorial

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Hello OB Members!

I'm taking the path less traveled as most of us do, but I am doing in the less travelled vehicle! The 2015 Chevy Colorado. While this vehicle is gaining traction due to the availability of diesel, aftermarket support has still been reluctant to support it. Everything I do, either is designed/built by myself or strong lobbying with aftermarket companies to produce for us. It is a difficult process but I am glad to be different. My end goal is a PreRunner style Overland vehicle. Fast through the desert but still be able to do some crawling. Shall we begin?

Base Platform:
2015 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Short Bed Z71 4wd- 3.6L V6

Current Modifications:
Suspension:
- King Adjustable Coilovers
- Bajakits Upper Control Arm
- King Adjustable Piggybacks
- Deaver Minipacks

Wheel/Tire:
17x8.5 Method Double Standards (Custom drilled for my awkward bolt pattern)
285/70/17 Falken AT3W

Performance:
- BNR Tune via Diablo Intune
- KN 63 Series intake w/ Dry filter

Electrical/Lighting:
- 50 Watt I-com race radio from PCI
- GG-Lighting G3 Pods
- Alternative Offroad Pod Brackets
- GG-Lighting G3SR 30" in the bumper
- Custom Bumper Light Bracket
- Baja Designs S2 Pro Amber in the rear as a dust light

Exterior/Armor
- Superskidz Front Skid Plate
- Superskidz Front Differential Skid Plate
- Softtopper
- Rocky Road Rock Sliders

Future Plans:
- Bajakits Long Travel w/ coilovers and bypasses
- Fiberwerx Glass Fenders/Bedsides
- Spring Under Axle Conversion
- Deaver Long Travel Leaf Springs
- Anything else I come across

Last edited:

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

What place is that? That looks like the High Desert. Great looking rig. From the looks of your list of mods, you seem to be off to a great start. As far as the Colorado and lack of aftermarket support. I think that will change, because I think Chevy has something here with the Colorado. Keep us up to date with the build.

Reactions: goleee33

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

What place is that? That looks like the High Desert. Great looking rig. From the looks of your list of mods, you seem to be off to a great start. As far as the Colorado and lack of aftermarket support. I think that will change, because I think Chevy has something here with the Colorado. Keep us up to date with the build.
It is at an old iron mine along Mojave Road!
I agree that support will change with the announcement of the ZR2 and the availability of diesel.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Very cool!
How is this suspension going to rate next to say BDS? As I've seen only them and rough country currently produce popular kits for these trucks.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Very cool!
How is this suspension going to rate next to say BDS? As I've seen only them and rough country currently produce popular kits for these trucks.
I believe it should be vastly superior to the BDS, however they are two very different kits. Mine is a long travel kit that extends each side out 3.5" with uniball upper and lowers as well as an additional bypass shock. These will be intended to have just increased wheel travel along with the ability to soak up larger bumps.
The BDS kit is by far the best traditional lift kit as far as quality, but these simply only lift the vehicle. The control arms remain the same, just dropped down with a relocation bracket. They do not provide any additional wheel travel or abilities other than the ability to fit a larger tire.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Very nice using uniballs! I've been thinking about getting a diesel Colorado myself. I had an 04 and an 07 Colorado both with the inline 5 cylinders and to be honest they had much to be desired. However I heard the few equipped with the 5.3 were beasts.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Looking forward to seing your progress. I'm getting a ZR2 as soon as it is available.
The ZR2 looks like its going to be an awesome truck. I really had to consider stopping everything I'm doing and wait until that comes out, but I am already too deep and the modifications I'm doing should make it just as capable if not slightly more. The front and rear selectable lockers were the only things I was eyeing but not worth the extra cost plus the effort trying to sell my existing truck. Hopefully I can retrofit them!

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
To get the longer travel won't the kit also provide lift? How much lift do you expect?
I have a 2015 Canyon, Crew, Short Bed, 3.6L, 4x4

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Nice Colorado's are growing on me. Love that they have a diesel option along with the ZR2. Just need to get rid of the stupid chin spoiler...lol

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Finally some updated.
Suspension is 90% installed. Need to add the Bypass tower and install the bypasses. Bed rack has been fabricated. RTT is a Freespirit Recreation. New fenders and bedsides getting built right now. Can't wait to get it back and be able to take it back out on the trails.

Some trail time before the makeover:

Makeover:

Current project: