2014 Xterra Pro-4x Build and Adventure Thread

• HTML tutorial

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I'm new to the forums, so I thought I'd take the time to start a build thread and introduce everyone to my fun-wagon.

I've owned it since January of 2014, bought it new. It's my DD and adventure mobile, and helped me make two cross-country moves in the past 18 months. It's got a modest 3" extended travel lift with aftermarket UCAs, 33 inch Duratracs, sliders, an ARB bumper and lights, Gobi ladder, Tepui RTT, and some other bolt-on swag. I've had it on trails and backroads from the western Adirondacks and the hills of Vermont, to old mining outposts and camps in southern Arizona, and now the mountains of western Washington. Anyways, enough blabbering. Here's some photographs of my documented travels:
Most recently in the Mountains of the Olympic Penninsula

This Fall during a whale watching trip on San Juan Island

Earlier this year on a run up to Gallagher Head Lake, and then the lake, itself.

Stopping to enjoy the view in Washington Pass, southern Olympic Mountain Range

Winding my way through a dry river bed in Arizona

This past Spring in Arizona on the Box Canyon trail east of Phoenix. Probably my favorite trail, to date.

Late last winter on the Gualajote Flats trail right on the Mexican border in SO AZ. This is actually an old mining trail, like many of the 4x4 routes that cover this part of the country.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'll keep this updated with my exploration and modification!

Last edited:

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Man, good looking X and nice travels. Ever looked into a tire carrier for the rear? Keep the stories and photos coming however and welcome to OLB.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Thanks you, all, for the warm welcome.

Man, good looking X and nice travels. Ever looked into a tire carrier for the rear? Keep the stories and photos coming however and welcome to OLB.
I actually just picked up a Bucksnort rear bumper from over on TNX.org. It doesn't have a tire carrier, but is made with the ability to add one later should you desire. What it does give me is an integrated hitch receiver and recovery points, which I've been in need of. Thanks for the compliments.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Yup, Im over on TNX as well. Didnt see your build otherwise I would not have posted it, sorry. Bucksnot does make some good stuff. Now you need to swap ladders with someone when you go for the carrier, since Im sure you will want it soon enough. BS is also Johnny on the spot with getting you the bumper. I waited almost 6 months for my Shrocks. Oddly enough, I just decided I wanted to swap my rear for a Maximum Design (on here as well). Ill offload the shrock at GONE. Sure someone will want it.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
@utspoolup Yeah, BS had the bumper out to me the day I paid for it. Very quick turn around. I love the Max bumpers, he makes awesome stuff. I hear you on the ladder, I went with the drive side originally in fear that the passenger side would interfere with my rear view camera. I've seen your build over on TNX, I love what you've done with it. Actually, your X has inspired what my next likely mod is going to be, the ARB rear diff cover. Just can't decide on red or black....

@Trixter404 Steve! What's up brother. Yeah, I finally made it over to this one, as well. We still need to get out on the trail sometime soon.

@TreXTerra thanks!

Reactions: Trixter404

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Yes, we should! Unfortunately, the army has me in California for the next two weeks (I've already been here for two), so it'll have to wait until early February at the soonest. Any place in particular you've been looking to hit up? I could be talked into some winter camping, as well.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
The next few posts aren't necessarily focused on the Xterra, but rather the trips I've enjoyed by way of the truck.

In staying with my personal tradition of spending my day off by myself in the woods, I ventured out to the Olympic Peninsula on this rainy a couple of weeks ago. Mrs. Jhberria was out of town, so it was just me, the mountains, and the rain that has been falling incessantly for the past two weeks in western Washington.

The rain was more of a mist at higher elevations, frustratingly obscuring both the epic views over the Puget Sounds and the road ahead.

A sobering, enduring reminder to not drive like and an idiot on these mountain trails.

Working my way up across Jefferson Ridge and down to Little Elk Lake via FSRs.

Tons of rain and melting snow runoff which bodes well for wildfire season. Certainly don't want a repeat of last summer.

Posin', hard.

Finally made it down to Little Elk Lake. Took a stroll around it and did some bird watching. As tranquil as can be, and quite full from the recent rains.

Even flooding the trail at points.

The clarity of these mountain streams is indescribable. A crisp blue that's impossible to replicate with my lackluster photography skills and equipment. Quite the paradigm shift from the murky creeks and pools I'm used to back east (albeit they possess their own unique charm, as well).

Progressing further west into the Olympics, I reached the trail head for the hike down to Jefferson Lake. I was greeted by the sign at said trailhead:

Now, if there's anything I learned from the 'The Revenant' starring Hollywood heartthrobs Leo DiCapprio and Tom Hardy, it's that a man can suffer a debilitating bear attack, endure a long and excruciating recovery in the wilderness, and still maintain the wherewithal to exact vengeance on his enemies.

This cinematic revelation inspired me to continue down the trail.

After a brief trek through the primordial Olympic Forest adorned with moss and ancient evergreens, I reached the lake. It wasn't particularly impressive, but satisfying nonetheless.

Soon I was heading further west still, and the elevation was gradually increasing. It wasn't long before I was in the shadows of the central Olympic Peaks, in all their grandeur.

Alas, with elevation comes snow. This snow was wet, sloppy, and impassible. Especially by myself and a remote region of the park. This is where my trip ended....for now.

On the way out, I stopped briefly to sit on top of the Xterra and eat a sandwich. Like a boss. This was my view.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Also, I took a camping and hiking trip up to the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula last weekend with Mrs. jhberria. For those of you that have never been to or even heard of this place, it can only be described as magical. It's one of the largest temperate rainforests in the U.S. and we really lucked out on the weather.

We started our visit, after a three hour drive up the Pacific Coast, by hiking the Hall of Mosses trail. This is a short loop that winds through some of the most intricate and beautiful flora I've ever seen.

After completing the Hall of Mosses, we moved on to the Hoh Rover Trail. This one wasn't nearly as scenic, sans offering an amazing view of the river and Olympic peaks.

After doing a few miles of the River Trail, we migrated to our camp site (also on the Hoh River) and the wife began cooking our breakfast burritos (breakfast for dinner!?! Say what?!?) while I started a fire and set up camp. Not long after getting settled in our spot, a herd of Roosevelt Elk began grazing through the River campground, these things were mostly fearless, beautiful animals. They're apparently the largest of the North American Elk subspecies. They spent the better part of 2 hours meandering across our campsite, with one cow walking within 5 feet of us while we were eating. It was one of my most enjoyable camping experiences, to date.

And just so this post isn't completely void of vehicle pictures: The X in camp-mode being flanked by the Mrs.

Long story short, if you're in the PNW and have been considering a trip to the Hoh, just do it.

On the way back home, we decided to stop at Ruby Beach on the western side of the Pensinsula for a walk on in the sand. This is another one of those breathtaking landscapes that seem to be abundant out on the OP.

Oh yes, and I did this with some free time this afternoon. Wasn't too terribly difficult, and refilling the M226 is wayyyyyy easier now with the high-fill hole on the ARB.

Thanks for looking - Josh

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Beautiful photos and prose describing a magical place. It was pretty dry when we were there last Ocrober. I'd love to see the Hoh in the wet season.

You ought to split this off and put it in the trip report section of the forum.

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

I really need to explore the peninsula this year. Lived in western WA all my life and just have not spent much time up there unfortunately. Awesome photos man!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That bumper looks great, and the ARB cover is pure awesomeness. I haven't had the chance to off-road in the PNW, but a buddy and me did a day hike up to the old Apex mine site above Skykomish last year, and the area was just stunning. I just love our part of the world over here in the west. Such a diverse area to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
That bumper looks great, and the ARB cover is pure awesomeness. I haven't had the chance to off-road in the PNW, but a buddy and me did a day hike up to the old Apex mine site above Skykomish last year, and the area was just stunning. I just love our part of the world over here in the west. Such a diverse area to explore.

Thanks, man.

After spending most of my young life on the East Coast, I can confirm that being out west opens a whole new realm of possibilities as far as travel and "overland-ish" activities.

You should join us Washington folk for a weekend of camping and wheeling this year.....or host a Whipsaw Trail run for us Yanks:-)

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I've never attempted Whipsaw. The trailhead is about an hour and a bit from my town. I've driven past the Whipsaw FSR provably a thousand times during my life. It is on the list though.