Mtb11789

Rank 0

Traveler I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Barchetti
I've started doing some research for a new car, and it having decent overlanding ability is a must. The KL trailhawks have popped up on my radar for a good mix of affordability / quality DD vehicle / and capable off-road. The one drawback with the KL's that I've found is the sparse off-road support.
So far I've found RRO, and they seem to have some decent products. I didnt know if there were any other companies out there putting out some good products.

Testimonies welcome, and also if you have any advice on the overall car choice too!
Thanks!

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I've never bought anything from RRO personally, however I helped install a set of KL sliders/steps and they never really fit up great. We got them installed but it took probably twice as long as it should and it left some spots open that could have been covered by trim.
Other than that I have no real experience with KL stuff. I know Rough Country has a lift, and I think teraflex too.

Reactions: Mtb11789

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Gobi supports the KL. I have a Rola roof rack but have the Gobi ladder. For lift and leveling you can look at Hazard Sky, MFC Offroad, and Rough Country. MFC also has mounts for lights and such.

I have a 2019 TH and like it a lot. Comfortable on the interstate and surprisingly capable on moderate trails. The biggest issue you might run into with the Cherokee is the cargo area is tight for its class. Hasn’t been a problem for two people but something to consider if you have a family.

I have read that the 2017 model had some issues but I can’t really confirm it. Just a heads-up if you are looking to buy used.

Good luck with the search!