• HTML tutorial

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Update: July 5, 2016

In May 2013, in an attempt to get a little smaller with my vehicle, I traded my 2006 Ram 1500 for a new 2013 FJ Cruiser. Over the few years I have owned it it has been to many places and been modified for the ability to go out independently.

Drive-train: Stock

Suspension:
- OME BP-51 Shocks all around
- Camburg Unu-Ball Front Upper Control Arms

Armor:
- Stock

Wheels/Tires:
- Stock Revolver Rims
- BFG KM2 285/70R17

Additions:
- Warrior Industries flat roof rack
- Warrior Industries front bumper
- Warrior Industries rear bumper
- Superwinch Talon 9.5iSR
- RAM dash mount for iPad
- Custom AZ license plate
- LED back-up lights
- LED front light bar
- Gobi ladder (install coming soon)
- Transfer case breather relocation kit (install coming soon)
- Front differential breather relocation kit (install coming soon)
- Rear differential/E-locker breather relocation kit (install coming soon)
- Renergy 100w solar panel
- Dirty parts dual battery install kit
- Dirty parts washer bottle relocation kit
- Snorkel
- ARB single air compressor
- Turtleback bumper mounted bottle opener
- Foxwing awning with three walls

Recovery:
- ARB Recovery kit
- 6-3/4T shackle
- 2-snatch block
- Factor 55 hitch shackle recovery point
- Gloves
- WFR First aid kit
- Tool kit
- 48” Hi-Lift jack with base
- Hi-Lift winch assessory kit
- MAXSA Innovations Escaper Buddy Orange Traction Mat
- Large shovel
- Small garden shovel
- Ax

Communications:
- Yaesu FT-8800r dual band HAM, relocated the radio face to the dash.
- Baofeng UV-5r handheld
- Delorme inReach explorer

Sad thing is I think it may almost be done. I have begun work on a small trailer to go with it for base camping options.
FJ.jpg GPS mount 1.jpg Phone download 6-8-16 247.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 728.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 736.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 927.JPG
Hopefully by the end of this weekend the new suspension will be installed.

Last edited:

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Sweet FJ, have you used the MAXSA traction mats yet? I am thinking about getting a set and everyone seems to like them!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Love that ICEBERG!!!!!!! Oh I so want the BP-51!!!!! Iv'e out grown the toytec.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

So the local AZFJ.org group got together at the Turtleback Trailer shop and decided to turn wrenches this weekend. See @1Louder post with all of those pictures. It was a good day; a lot done. It is always cool to get together in groups like this, everyone learns something, and it is just cool to see everyone's vision for their vehicles.

So I took a good stab at my truck:

- Installed OME BP-51's all around
- Installed the solar onto the roof rack
- Added some insulation to block the rear windows
- Helped around the shop with everyone else who needed it.

IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2944.JPG IMG_2945.JPG IMG_2948.JPG

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
That look's very nice, I'm sure the new alignment will be a lot happier also!!!! It should ride so much better than the OEM UCA.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

@mmnorthdirections Plan to get the alignment tomorrow.

So my initial impressions of the BP-51's. They have been on for a week now.

- As for rebound and compression adjustments. The rear is no problem when it come to adjusting. The fronts are a different story. For one, you have to remove the tire to adjust the Reb/Comp settigs. As a matter of fact you may have to remove the entire coil, as was my case. The adjustment settings are covered by the spring. You do not need to disassemble the coil over you just have to rotate the entire coil over to a position to where you can get the spanner in between the coils to make the adjustment. When installed the coil bucket and frame get in the way.
- As delivered from the factory, both front and back are set for an unloaded vehicle. I have found that having them all set in the middle setting seems to be the best for my driving style. I will be going off-road this weekend, so after this may need to adjust again.
- As most FJ owners know, the vehicle has a left leaning list. I still need to adjust a little more lift into the left side. Both front shocks are factory set at 20mm (this provides approx 2.5-3 inches of lift), but I think the left side needs and additional 2-3mm. Again I will wait until I drive offroad. As mentioned above I need to remove the coilover to make adjustments anyway, especially for the height.
- Brakets for the resivours. In a word, SWEET! Most people with aftermarket remote resovours will attest the bracket designs are not the best. I have helped install numerous others and trying to find the best location and having to use a hose clemp seems like an afterthought. OME thought it through with this setup.

All in all, the install is real easy and straight forward. OME instructions are probably the best aftermarket install instructions I have seen on the market. Very detailed and include addtional help tips. This kit is completely thought through in regards to install and fit. A true straight bolt on kit. There are three locations where you bolt a braket to the frame rail and OME proides a tool to locate the attaching hardware. Very simple! Total install time for the shocks (all four), including disassembly, was under 2 hours with a helper.

As for the Camberg UCA's. Very straight forward. Instructions less than one page, but I believe these are a no brainer for install. One thing to watch for during install is the angle on the LCA when linning up to bolt the top to the knuckle. You just need to play with a jack and it will fit right together. Total install time for both UCA's was also under 2 hours; helper required. One recommendation on these UCA's I would make. Go buy new (4) 90 degree zerk fittings to replace the ones provided if you get the Camberg kit. They are located on the bottom of the UCA's and will make it impossible to get a grease gun fitting in this area. With the 90 degree fittings you have a straight access from the wheel well and will not have to remove the tire when you need to grease.

After this upcomming trip I will provide any additional comments I may have.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Great info @Gunnermoose my Camburgs have the zerks/90deg on the top hmm. I have the MOOG version they look the same aside from the zerk and the bearing. I had heard that OME was working on the adjustment problem you mention, some of the feedback they got from the FJ forum during testing prior to release. Have you contacted ARB USA and asked, I believe that they are marketed as adjustable ON THE TRUCK. Having to remove is kind of a pain. Great write up and thanks i'm getting closer to jumping in with them!!!!!

Reactions: Gunnermoose

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

So I went out this past weekend. Nothing to harsh or rough, just wanted to get a feel for the new suspension. I purposefully stayed aired up to highway pressure to ensure the tire were not adding to the "suspension" capability. Once I turned of pavement I was immediately on washbord for approximately 3 miles. I could not tell. I had driven this road before with my last set of OME shocks and would have to drive a little slower to deal with the washboard effect.

Intial response is a need to lower the compression setting at least 2 settings on the rear. The rear has a feeling of an abrupt shock when hitting a bump on initial contact. I think lowering the compression will aid in fixing this feeling. I think the fronts are dialed in the way I like. I have not had my sway bars on my truck for over 2 years. The new suspension has definitely stiffened the roll up. I have a feeling of more control in cornering than previously on the OME Nitro charge shock. I still need to adjust the left lean out a little more; still not completely level but closer.

Overall, the main concern for me is now having to watch my speed. I deffinitely found myself driving faster than normal, but feeling more in control. I could say without a doubt I would recommend these shocks. My comparision is based on the OME Nitro charged 2 1/2 - 3 inch lift previously.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Really nice....

I used to live in East Mesa, went to Mesa Central, and used to play guitar at the "Lucky Nugget" in Apache Jct. a LOT in the late 70's, early 80's. (and all over the Valley)

You're probably not old enough to remember Toad Hall.......... ?