2013 Toyota Tacoma Limited DCLB

• HTML tutorial

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

So I'd been wanting to get into overlanding for a while, owned two Jeeps previously, and finally got around to it a couple years ago. This is the evolution thus far of my 2013 Tacoma Limited DCLB. I have several projects going on currently and don't have pictures of that progress.

Stock 2013 DCLB Limited with Leer 100XL

My idea was always to build an "overlander" that I could really do anything with. Commute it, haul my bike, road trip in, etc,. so it was the logical choice over nearly everything else. Unfortunately I haven't used it nearly as much as I've wanted but it has seen more than a few hundred miles of trails in Arkansas, Missouri, Indiana, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Of course the build isn't complete, but she has come a long way.

My first mods were really to just remove as much chrome as possible, 2" OME lift, the TRD Pro wheels (love the look, had no idea how popular they were...), and get some BFG TA KO2's.

Next was armor, so I went with Pelfreybilt aluminum skids, as I wouldn't be doing a LOT of hardcore trails and Indiana is prime rust belt territory. So I hit em with some bedliner, tossed em on, and headed to Arkansas to explore the Ouchita area for a few days.

My initial thought was to build a sleeping platform in the bed, but I'm 6'3" and couldn't deal with my feet and head touching the ends of the bed/tail gate, so I opted for some All Pro bed bars, a Smittybilt RTT (just to cut my teeth and see if it's what I want to deal with) and the rest of my armor (Pelfreybilt steel full hoop front, and rear bumpers). I also opted for their bolt-on rock sliders, and a Rotopax Fuelpax just to serve as fuel enough to get to a gas station if needed.

I also opted for a bit of a lighting upgrade, adding a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Pros, and testing whether or not I would even need a light bar by throwing on a Rough Country Black Series 20" LED Bar in the bumper, a Smittybilt 9.5k winch, and a refresh of old recovery gear (straps, rope, snatch blocks, etc,.) adding a set of the X-Bull Recovery Boards as a test as well.

I added a Prinsu Designs Cabrac and finalized plans to changeover to the Alu Cab Explorer Canopy and hard shell RTT. The ARB 2000 Awning was my latest addition in this pic. Pisgah National Forest was pretty cool and Asheville an interesting place.

Here are a couple and a short video from Rendezvous in the Ozarks last year on the trails. We did a medium difficulty trail and outside of taking one chicken track due to wheelbase issues, I made some turns a little hairier than others, but it is a long bed. Still did great!

This video is not my own!!

Newest additions. Alu Cab Explorer Canopy and COE Vehicle Solutions Large RTT

The RTT is sitting a bit back and offset due to the awning brackets. The awning will be changing position and mounting hardware completely which will move the tent a bit forward and make it equidistant from the sides. There's really not a lot of overhang and this RTT is larger than most other hard shell models offered. It opens and closes VERY easily and I was able to fit my Exped Megamat Duo 10 inside as my mattress. The narrower RTT's won't fit that and it's FAR warmer and more comfortable than anything I've seen inside of a RTT.

Not Pictured:
Dometic CFX50 Fridge
Auxiliary Battery System (currently a work in progress, been playing with different mounting solutions)
ARB Single Compressor

Future Plans:
The truck itself is pretty set, outside of adding lockers and regearing after it's no longer my daily driver. I commute about 50 miles a day to work, so I'll be adding a Prius to the fleet. :)
Interior I want a better GPS and mount, better interior lighting, and seat covers (I HATE LEATHER!!)
Exterior -
Wire in rock lights, camp lights, and finish my bed setup.

I am literally swamped with projects right now for the truck. I have about 20 hours worth of wiring and parts ready to install, but all smalls and convenience related.

Side note. I didn't want a Limited initially, or a long bed, but the deal I got on the truck was too good to pass on. I love it and nearly everything about it but kind of regret not getting a 4Runner instead. I drove this off of the lot for about $6k under value, fully loaded, very low mileage. I still haven't even hit 60k miles yet with trips to North Carolina, N Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan, and two to Arkansas under my belt. Next big trips planned are Colorado/Utah in the fall, Overland Expo East, and hopefully another Rendezvous in the Ozarks.

100w Renogy Solar Panel added, tilt to 45 degrees with gas struts courtesy of Clint Hughes!
I have to rearrange the crossbars a bit to mount a couple of other things but it should all work very well in the end!!
37956572_10104114455944683_1724428617724723200_o.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

What an amazing start! Do you have anything in the works for bed storage/organization? If you do, any shots of that?
Thank you!! I do, but it's mostly different types of totes and that's not working for my OCD. I have a mounting panel in the works that will kind of act as the cornerstone so I haven't moved that far for improvements yet. It will have my compressor, solar controller, rotopax fuelpax, and fire extinguisher attached to it. I'm undecided on buying/making a drawer system and fridge slide or getting a Bedslide and getting universal totes/storage. This is pretty much my last major change to be made for a while and definitely the most difficult decision wise, the rest was relatively easy in comparison!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gothere