Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I love my Ram but have always like the look of the the JK 4 doors. After selling my Challenger that didn't get driven much, I bought a 2013 JKU Sport last spring. I looked at Rubicons but I'm not going rock crawling and felt like the Rock Trac 4.1 transfer case was too low for most of the stuff that I will be doing. I also did some research on the Dana 30 vs Dana 44 front axles. After learning that the only real difference is the ring and pinion diameter (unless you buy a Recon $$$) and since I didn't plan on going lower than 4.56 gears, decided on the Sport with 3.73 gears and rear limited slip. Found a really good private party deal on the 2013 with 3" lift, fenders, 35" tires/wheels, roof rack with lights and a bunch of misc. upgrades. I saved about $10K over any comparable Rubicon that I could find.

I made a list of upgrades that I wanted to do, including the axles and set my budget. I haven't gotten in a hurry, shopping manufacturer sales and searching swap meets, Craigslist and E-bay with a rule that I wasn't going to pay full retail for anything.

To date I have added front and rear bumpers, aluminum inner fenders, Body Armor tube doors, evap skid, Milemarker 9500 winch, adjustable front track bar, Smittybilt seat covers, grab handles, LED headlights , Springtail fold down tailgate table, and hd hood latches.

Still on the list - gas tank skid, AEV controller, rear interior cargo rack & hd tailgate hinges.

So now for the axle upgrades. My plan was to upgrade the axles in the Jeep but I found a set of low mileage ones out of a 2016 JK on Craigslist. This is allowing me to build a set of axles without having my Jeep torn apart. I can do a swap out and then sell the axles that are in it. I have collected almost everything and will be ordering a Revolution 4.56 gear set after the first of the year.

Here is the tally so far:
2016 3.73 Dana 30 and Dana 44 w/limited slip
Used RCV front Dana 30 axles
Dana 30 Auburn e-locker
Artec Dana 30 truss
Synergy Dana 30 axle kit - tube sleeves, c gussets, c.arm skids, seals
G2 front track bar bracket
High clearance Superlift steering stabilizer and bracket
Metalcloak front and rear nodular diff covers
G2 Dana 44 truss
Rugged Ridge rear control arms skids
Rock Krawler rear track bar bracket
Dana 44 Detroit locker

I started on the rear axle today, I got the truss, skids and track bar bracket mounted. I put the heavy cover on to add rigidity while welding. Taking it slow, welding a little and letting it cool. I will complete it over the next couple days as time allows.

Before:

KIMG0009.JPG

After:
KIMG0011.JPG

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

What rear axle shafts are you going to use? I've replaced quite a few on stock JKU Sports that were bent. All OEM.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

More than likely I will use a set of Yukon chromoly axles.
Perfect. You are going to have a bullet proof drivetrain.

One thing to keep an eye on is for fluid in and around the transmission electrical connector. There is two o-rings on there and when they leak weird things can happen. Cheap and easy fix.

Reactions: 472HemiGTX

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

It's been a while, I've gotten sidetracked on other projects. Time to get back the axles while I have quarantine time. I apologize, when I get going on a project, I'm not very good about stopping and taking pictures. So for an update:
  • Trusses, gussets, brackets and skids are installed
  • Axles painted with chassis paint and covers installed.
  • Yukon 4.56 gears, front e-locker installed, rear locker installed.
  • New balljoints - HD lowers and 2 degree offset uppers, front poly control arm bushings and RCV axles installed.
  • Rear Ten Factory chromoly axles installed in rearend
  • Installing the stock rear track bar for now but I'm going to order an adjustable one
  • Install on rear axle began last night along with a new set of Rubicon Express HD springs. The Pro Comp springs that came I the Jeep when I bought it rode a little soft for my taste and when I added the extra gear, racks and bumper, I had to put a 1.5" spacer in the rear to get the height back. It also squats when I hook the trailer up more than I'd like.

KIMG0166 (2).JPGKIMG0169 (1).JPGWP_20191204_19_44_24_Pro (2).jpgKIMG0275 (2).JPGKIMG0276 (2).JPGKIMG0277 (2).JPG

Reactions: MazeVX

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Rear Pro Comp 3.5" springs (black) vs Rear Rubicon Express 3.5" HD springs (silver)

KIMG0278.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Finished up the axle install today. Used an AEV Procal to reprogram for the tires and gears. Took it for a test drive, cleaned the shop and now I'm enjoying a cold Corona (beer). You can definitely tell the difference from the 3.73 gears and the spring change.

Installed Raybestos plated calipers, slotted rotors, new SKF hub assemblies, replaced the old braided brakelines and switched to Rubicon Express front springs also. It was nice to pull out the SKF hubs and have them include the ABS sensor.

KIMG0280.JPGKIMG0281.JPGKIMG0287.JPGKIMG0288.JPG

Battle-Spec

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cartersville, GA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Proctor
Member #

That’s an awesome build. And your right, since your only going up to 4.56 gears, you aren’t going to have to worry about chipping the teeth of a smaller R&P. So your setup really will be more than enough for basic overlanding without crawling. Pretty sweet idea you had.

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
That’s an awesome build. And your right, since your only going up to 4.56 gears, you aren’t going to have to worry about chipping the teeth of a smaller R&P. So your setup really will be more than enough for basic overlanding without crawling. Pretty sweet idea you had.
I agree that’s a great setup for overlanding. I do a little bit of rock crawling with my rig and do I lots of running in the snow. When the axle starts hoping it bends things or they break.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Installed the last piece of the puzzle (at least for this mod). Steinjager adjustable rear track bar to match the front.

KIMG0413.JPG. An adjustable

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeep backroads