Will Evans

Rank I

Contributor III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Evans
I have been lurking on here for quite a while now and am finally starting my first post. If you don't want to read a bunch of rambling just skip to the bulleted lists at the end.

I bought my 2013 white FJ Cruiser almost exactly one year ago. At the time of purchase it had 35,000 miles and it now sits at 51,000. It has a nearly new set of 265/70/17 Toyo A/T II E load tires with a matching spare (they were too new at purchase for me to justify increasing the tire size so although I wish they were 33" I am ok for now). Since purchasing, I have only added a set of Ironman Foam Call Pro front coilovers that I got for a great deal from Metal Tech 4x4 during their black Friday sale last year. The coilovers are only serving the function of leveling the front at the moment but they have significantly improved the ride by reducing body-roll and forward lurch while braking. I plan on upgrading the rear suspension in the future and switching to 285/70/17 AT's. There are also many other modifications I am hoping to make once I am finished with school such as a Demello aluminum bumper and Rhino Rack.

Last year I returned home to the Northwest from Reno on New Years Eve by driving almost entirely off road from Reno to Adel, Oregon. Planning this route, and completing the drive through one of the most remote parts of Nevada was very rewarding and definitely inspired me to spend as much time off-pavement as possible when traveling. After returning home I did realize that I was very unprepared to deal with any issues that might have come up on this trip, as it was 15 degrees outside and I didn't see a single vehicle on the 6 1/2 hour stretch off road from Gerlach, Nevada to Adel, Oregon. I do not currently have any way to transport extra fuel for these extended and isolated trips, but I believe that I have the ability to deal with simple issues such a flat tires, etc.

I am currently a Physician Assistant student at a small school focusing on rural healthcare, and will be leaving in August to complete a year of clinical residency at rural medical facilities throughout the Northwest. Staying in AirBnB for this year would have cost my wife and I a ton of money, so we decided to purchase a Teardrops NW Recon that I will live in for this year of travel. Despite the steep up-front cost of this trailer, we will still save a significant amount of money compared to more typical lodgings. I will be stationary for 6-12 week blocks, and will stay at "KOA-type" campgrounds to make use of the available electrical hook-ups and facilities necessary to show up to treat patients at work every day not appearing/smelling disheveled (showers, laundry, etc.). To break up the stress of heavy work schedules I plan on traveling between jobs on the most remote routes possible. Passing by prime fly fishing water along the way would be a huge plus. I don't know the exact location of any of my work-sites yet and will likely be flying by the seat of my pants for a majority of the whole year. If the opportunity presents itself I will try to chronicle some of my experiences living out of the FJ and the Recon for others on these forums.

Kevin at Teardrops NW has been outstanding so far at helping me through the planning process, making sure that I will have the creature comforts that I will need for a year of bumming around in a teardrop trailer. I will have a 12v Dometic fridge and a Camp Chef Ranger II stove so my diet doesn't completely deteriorate during this year. I will also have their available vestibule tent that connects directly to one door so I change into dress clothes every day without giving my fellow campers a free show. I do not have a trailer hitch or brake controller installed on the FJ yet, which ultimately leads me into my extensive list of questions that I have for this forum.

For the FJ:
- What is my best option for the trailer hitch and brake controller? (this teardrop comes equipped with a lock'n'roll hitch and 10" brakes via 7-pin connector)
- The trailer should weigh around 1800-1900 lbs. with the tongue weight most likely near 10% of that (180-190 lbs.) - I am not concerned with the FJ's ability to pull this weight, but I am wondering if there are measures that I need to take with regard to the rear suspension sagging while towing? (especially when off road driving over rough terrain)
- Should I be looking into protective/cooling implements for my transmission?
- I know I will take a big hit on the gas mileage and will need some method for carrying extra fuel for extended off road trips that I plan on taking between clinics. I am not opposed to carrying fuel on the FJ's roof rack, but the trailer also has a 2" receiver hitch on the rear that could hold a cargo platform. Any ideas here? 10 gallons would be ideal but a little less might suffice.
- Any other considerations to reduce the wear and tear on my vehicle?

For the teardrop:
- I have been searching far and wide for a cheap yet effective method for shelter from inclement weather conditions while cooking outside on the back galley. If I end up working in Montana in the winter, cooking outside every day without any shelter could become a drain on my patience. So far the only thing I have come up with is the Caddis Rapid Shelter 8' x 8', but I am not opposed to harnessing my rigging skills with ratchet straps and tarps I already own, but nearby trees to utilize can never be guaranteed. Purchasing from REI would be a big plus so I could return it within a year if it breaks. Any other solutions for this issue that someone has found?

I apologize for the extremely long post, but I hope someone on here with any experience with towing (especially off road teardrops) can chime in and offer some advice.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtySox

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Had an FJ and pulled a 2800 lb Winnebago Drop trailer (19') with it. Towed with a weight distribution/anti swaybar hitch and electric brake controller. They worked well and suspension wise I upgraded to a TRD suspension (basically Bilsteins) and was fine between them and the WD Hitch. I added a transmission cooler, cold air intake and TRD exhaust. The intake/exhaust upgrade made a huge difference in trailering through mountain passes. Fuel economy ranged from 11 to 15, with the best mileage coming while using Sunoco Premium 100% real gas. 11mpg using anything with that accursed ethanol. If I were to do a redo, I'd opt for the square bar WD Hitch and a 4K load rating. The hitch I got was a 10K rated with the bars curling under...that setup was overkill and the weight of it got old taking off and putting on.
Winnie in Trinidad.JPGWinnie in Trinidad.JPG

NV Bigblue

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dayton, Nevada, USA
Member #

Will,

First off... don't panic!!! !!!!
(I'm gonna quote you here so stand by..)

There are a TON of people here to help you out.....!!!!

I'll throw my answers out, but pretty sure others will chime in ...

"Last year I returned home to the Northwest from Reno on New Years Eve by driving almost entirely off road from Reno to Adel, Oregon."

Holy shit... It sounds like you up drove up through Vya ,via Gerlach.
Sweet move. Beautiful part of Nevada. Remote though.

"We will stay at "KOA-type" campgrounds to make use of the available electrical hook-ups and facilities necessary to show up to treat patients at work every day not appearing/smelling disheveled (showers, laundry, etc.). To break up the stress of heavy work schedules I plan on traveling between jobs on the most remote routes possible."

"Passing by prime fly fishing water along the way would be a huge plus."

You had me at fly fishing....
(contact me out of band for some prime, remote Nevada fishing spots)

"I will have a 12v Dometic fridge and a Camp Chef Ranger II stove so my diet doesn't completely deteriorate during this year. I will also have their available vestibule tent that connects directly to one door so I change into dress clothes every day without giving my fellow campers a free show."

I have the Dometic 50qt in the back of my FJ. 1.5 days on the factory battery. But will totally depend on temps...carry a genny or jump pack....

"I do not have a trailer hitch or brake controller installed on the FJ yet, which ultimately leads me into my extensive list of questions that I have for this forum."

" What is my best option for the trailer hitch and brake controller? (this teardrop comes equipped with a lock'n'roll hitch and 10" brakes via 7-pin connector)

I have a 2014 FJ.... which for most things is the same as yours....

I'm towing a 15~1600 pound trailer.....

My trailer is a Tuff Stuff Extreme Basecamp fully loaded. So pushing the 1800 lbs your towing....

BRAKES:
I have a REDARC controller. This is probably the best controller I have ever had. BAR NONE.
Yes, a bit pricey. But the head unit is super tiny, and it just WORKS. Every time.
Auto and manual control if needed... well worth the price...

Mount it anywhere.

There is some install involved, but nothing you can't handle. And if you have questions, the support is on point.

MILEAGE:
Non towing, I get between 18 and 21 MPG. SWMBO gets between 26 and 30. (I'm pretty sure voodoo is involved here...)

TOWING: On I-80 at 70 MPH, we average 16 to 19 MPG.....With our trailer loaded (and I do mean fully loaded) we average about 16MPG.

We have a 2" on the back of the trailer.... I have a cheapo Harbor Freight carrier that we use for firewood. If you load your trailer right, you can probably get a few hundred pounds hanging off the ass end.... but watch you tongue weight.

"For the FJ:"
- What is my best option for the trailer hitch and brake controller? (this teardrop comes equipped with a lock'n'roll hitch and 10" brakes via 7-pin connector)
REDARC- Best brake controller I've ever had.
Lock and Roll....I can't speak to that. I have a poly-block off-road hitch.... but I've seen good reviews and bad reviews.... mostly good... Personally.... ( and this just my opinion... unless you're REALLY doing some off-road shit.....L&R is the shiznat.)

"- The trailer should weigh around 1800-1900 lbs. with the tongue weight most likely near 10% of that (180-190 lbs.) - I am not concerned with the FJ's ability to pull this weight, but I am wondering if there are measures that I need to take with regard to the rear suspension sagging while towing? (especially when off road driving over rough terrain)"

I'm running the Airlift 1000 series Air Spring Kit.

Some install involved, but nothing the average mechanic can't do.... took me about 2 hours.

It WILL change the ride after installing.... keep about 10 LBS in the bags without a load though..... otherwise the bags ride up in the springs...

But towing is SO much nicer..... and I don't see any issues mostly off-road.

CAVEAT: If you're doing any "rock crawling" I don't think these air bags are for you....I can still flex the shit out of the FJ..... but the bags move around, and I've pulled the air lines out a couple of times now.... so on the road and moderate crawling.... no issues. Forest service roads...maintained gravel roads, frustrating 2wd..but easy in 4wd roads.... no issues... but once you start flexing....

"- Should I be looking into protective/cooling implements for my transmission?"

I'm towing at around 4500 to 7000 plus feet. I have not seen a big (any) increase in temps. I'm based out of the Reno area, so altitude is the norm.....
If the temps go up, slow down....just part of towing...

"- I know I will take a big hit on the gas mileage and will need some method for carrying extra fuel for extended off road trips that I plan on taking between clinics. I am not opposed to carrying fuel on the FJ's roof rack, but the trailer also has a 2" receiver hitch on the rear that could hold a cargo platform. Any ideas here? 10 gallons would be ideal but a little less might suffice.
- Any other considerations to reduce the wear and tear on my vehicle?"

I carry 10 gallons on my trailer, but when not towing I carry 4 rotopax fuel containers on the roof rack. (16 gallons)
Basically over half a tank of fuel....they lay flat and aren't a wind drag. Expensive, ya, but I've been using them for about 7 years now and haven't had any issues.

"For the teardrop:
- I have been searching far and wide for a cheap yet effective method for shelter from inclement weather conditions while cooking outside on the back galley. If I end up working in Montana in the winter, cooking outside every day without any shelter could become a drain on my patience. So far the only thing I have come up with is the Caddis Rapid Shelter 8' x 8', but I am not opposed to harnessing my rigging skills with ratchet straps and tarps I already own, but nearby trees to utilize can never be guaranteed. Purchasing from REI would be a big plus so I could return it within a year if it breaks. Any other solutions for this issue that someone has found?"

I can't help you with this one. All of my awnings are either free standing, or attach to my roof top tent or the awning on my FJ.

I'm not plugging anyone here, just throwing this out...

I'm running a Tuff Stuff 4x4 Roof Top Tent and awning of the side of my trailer and have the "room" that attaches to the awning. Basically a tent that attaches under the awning. We like it. I'll attach a picture. Maybe something like this would work for you...

The problem, (welcome to the high desert)...is that there aren't a ton of trees to hang your stuff off of....

If you have a free standing something...be sure to tie it down.....

"I apologize for the extremely long post, but I hope someone on here with any experience with towing (especially off road teardrops) can chime in and offer some advice."

I'm pretty sure everyone here would rather answer a "dumb" question and help somebody, than not answer that question and have somebody suffer a crappy night camping.

This is probably the most knowledgeable forum I'm on. If I'm off base these guys will correct me, but they're not dicks about it.

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
etrailer makes a good 7 pin wiring kit for the FJ Cruiser. I have had mine for over 4 years with no issues. I have a Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control also no issues. There are many options but a cheaper one/brand failed on me after 1-2 trips.

You are getting a great teardrop. I took a tour of that facility 2 years ago. You could do a Foxwing (270 awning) or other brand on poles that you can raise and lower with pins. Then the awning could get tall enough to clear your rear door. The Foxwing with tapered panes makes an awesome setup. When the weather stinks you are all walled in. You can run a heater or campfire in a can underneath and stay warm. These awnings need to be properly secured as soon as you deploy them for wind but they are really great.

You might even consider putting the awning on your FJ vs trailer. While you would need to disconnect the trailer it makes a great floorless tent on the FJ with the tapered panels. You would just need to see if the FJ is tall enough to clear your rear door on the trailer.

Will Evans

Rank I

Contributor III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Evans
Thank you all for the replies and great input. I am currently on a quick break from school so I am in a mad dash to get my vehicle ready to tow. It is unlikely I will have free time again until the trailer is completed and ready to pick up.

So far I am hearing both yes and no on the transmission cooler. At this point with the amount of free time I have and how much it just cost to get a 7-pin installed, I will wait on the tranny cooler. Do any of you FJ guys know if Toyota dealerships do that kind of thing?

Any opinions on the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller (90250)? Its expensive but I can get it online for $200 cheaper than the RV-trailer service center sells it for, and save myself a ton on labor as it would not require a skilled technician to install.
If it is junk I will just pay to get a standard brake controller installed, as I don't have the skills or time to do it myself.

For the rear suspension, I looked into the air bags and I think I will hold off for now. I don't think I am capable of doing the install myself and can't continue to bleed money modifying my vehicle to tow. I will wait until I see how my FJ handles towing the trailer before I necessitate the expenditure.

For the canopy to cover the galley during rough weather Slumberjack's road house tarp looks like it will be the perfect solution that won't take up a ton of space when it is not in use.

To NV Big Blue: my dometic fridge will be in the rear of the trailer, and will be running off of a battery system that can actually last up to a week. I will obviously never count on it lasting that long, but every time that have it plugged into the FJ the battery system will charge, and I will also be staying in "campgrounds" with power hookups that will run the fridge and keep the batteries topped off.
If I end up traveling through Nevada I will definitely be contacting you for some good stops to wet a fly.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the input.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Thank you all for the replies and great input. I am currently on a quick break from school so I am in a mad dash to get my vehicle ready to tow. It is unlikely I will have free time again until the trailer is completed and ready to pick up.

So far I am hearing both yes and no on the transmission cooler. At this point with the amount of free time I have and how much it just cost to get a 7-pin installed, I will wait on the tranny cooler. Do any of you FJ guys know if Toyota dealerships do that kind of thing?

Any opinions on the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller (90250)? Its expensive but I can get it online for $200 cheaper than the RV-trailer service center sells it for, and save myself a ton on labor as it would not require a skilled technician to install.
If it is junk I will just pay to get a standard brake controller installed, as I don't have the skills or time to do it myself.

For the rear suspension, I looked into the air bags and I think I will hold off for now. I don't think I am capable of doing the install myself and can't continue to bleed money modifying my vehicle to tow. I will wait until I see how my FJ handles towing the trailer before I necessitate the expenditure.

For the canopy to cover the galley during rough weather Slumberjack's road house tarp looks like it will be the perfect solution that won't take up a ton of space when it is not in use.

To NV Big Blue: my dometic fridge will be in the rear of the trailer, and will be running off of a battery system that can actually last up to a week. I will obviously never count on it lasting that long, but every time that have it plugged into the FJ the battery system will charge, and I will also be staying in "campgrounds" with power hookups that will run the fridge and keep the batteries topped off.
If I end up traveling through Nevada I will definitely be contacting you for some good stops to wet a fly.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the input.
The Tekonsha P3 is on sale at Camping World for $139 and Tekonsha Primus IQ is $80. Also any auto repair shop can install a transmission cooler. You can get by without one short term, but if you plan on keeping the FJCRUISER it will lessen the wear.

Last edited: