2012 Xterra Pro4-X mild build

• HTML tutorial

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

So I picked up the Xterra bone stock on January of 2016 w/42k at a price that was too good to pass up.

Almost immediately after I removed side steps and mud flaps and did melt mod

I spent some time with the Xterra in this form for a while to figure out where the weak links were and to understand it's capabilities.

With that said... I purchased some 285's about 3 months into owning it

Next came the radflo extended coilovers, spc arms, rear Bilsteins with a dual aal. With my stock leaf springs having plenty of life left I opted out of going full leaf replacement.

After tires and a 3" lift I opted for self recovery adding a PRG winch mount and smittybilt winch and full size spare.

fit in stock location!!

Also with recovery I have
- 20' tree saver
- 30' static strap
- 30x1" kinteic rope
- d ring shackles, and snatch blocks and chains
- maxtrac recovery boards x2

Next on the list is sliders and Gobi ladder and Cb radio set up.

I'm sure there will be much more to come....

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I really like your X. I just bought a 2015 Pro-4X after my 2006 bit the dust. I read you did the melt mod ... did you have to do the melt mod for the 285s to fit?

Gadsdan

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

PNW
First Name
DANIEL
Last Name
ZUMINI
Member #

Looks good, I really like that winch mount!

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I really like your X. I just bought a 2015 Pro-4X after my 2006 bit the dust. I read you did the melt mod ... did you have to do the melt mod for the 285s to fit?
Yeah I had to a little bit but nothing extreme like I've heard from others online

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Please keep posting updates on what you do to it ... not enough people modding the X for overlanding ... it's a great platform.

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Liking this setup! :) Planning nearly the same suspension kit myself. As PM'ed, would love to see closeups of that winch mount setup. Which model Smittybilt is it?
Haha just read that message! I'll snap some shots here in the next day or so!

I'm pumped on the lift, I think for non Titan swapping it's the next best thing for overland specific purposes.

I will be going the alcans and timbren bumpstop route for the rear here within the next few months!

Reactions: LoneLeaf

LoneLeaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

I will be going the alcans and timbren bumpstop route for the rear here within the next few months!
Thanks, much appreciated! My finger is hovering over the "Order" button on PRG's website waiting for these pics as you're the only user of the PRG winch mount I've found! :D

What's your plan for the stiffness of the Alcan pack? Softer, closer to stock? Same as your current 2AAL? Stiffer?

pytheas

Rank I

Contributor III

My finger is hovering over the "Order" button on PRG's website waiting for these pics as you're the only user of the PRG winch mount I've found! :D
I recently purchased the PRG mount. I went with the PRG because of cost and weight. I have been spending the weekend installing things and took a few pics. Note that the PRG mount comes bare metal, so you have to have it powder coated or painted. I didn't realize that until I received it. It is clearly noted on the PRG website, however. In terms of weight, there is definitely a net gain, but you are removing the stock steel bumper which is not light. I went with the Smittybilt 10,000 H20 winch with synthetic rope and it fits. I am not quite finished; I still need to figure out how to remount the front skid plate. It would have been nice if the winch mount came with instructions. Anyway, it seems to be a solid quality piece. I will know more when I get a chance to actually use it.

Xterra PRG Winch Mount Photos

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm pumped on the lift, I think for non Titan swapping it's the next best thing for overland specific purposes.

Rig looks good! I'm considering a winch mount like that for my Frontier as well. And I agree, With a Titan swap as I have, if you so much as look at mud, the sides of your truck are covered. I love the wheel travel, but, I've all but given up washing my truck.

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Great build so far! Sadly, I just sold my pro-4. Got a 4-runner last week though I do miss the pro-4. It felt more planted to the road, acceleration was better and the random storage areas are also missed. No regrets on my decision but I still enjoy watching others build theirs up.

I am selling my dephep rack w/ awning brackets& extender, also have some hood struts that I never got around to installing.

If interested, let me know and keep us updated as your build progresses!

-Chris

Reactions: .shark.

X_brad

Rank 0

Contributor I

With that said... I purchased some 285's about 3 months into owning it

Rig looks awesome! Definetly inspiring.

Are these pictures with 285's and no suspension lift, just melt mod? I recently picked up a Xterra X model so it only has all season 265/70r16's and debating between 265/75r16 or 285/75r16. I am not planning on suspension lift but also not planning on any rock crawling. Did you enjoy the 285's with no lift for around town and mild off roading?