Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

No, you didn't read that wrong. Why am I building out this little hampster-mobile and making it do things no one has ever intended?! I want to prove something! I want to show people that there is absolutely no reason they can't get out and explore. I teach automotive tech and sales every day and one of the things I hear the most is "it's a great car but there is no 4wd". This is true, the car has its limitations and won't go some places a Land Cruiser will. But not having all four wheels powered can't be the reason these people sit in front of the TV all day wishing they could get out but couldn't afford to. So here is what I am up to. Over the next few months,3 I will be turning my old Kia Soul into an overland rig. At the end of August my wife, two of my good friends and myself will be taking a trip from Tampa FL, to Denver CO, to the Red Wood Forest, down to Yellow Stone, over to the Grand Canyon, through New Orleans and back to home in Lakeland FL. So here is the list of things that must get done asap.

- RTT - Done
- 15 wheels - Done
- Yoko Geo's 215/65 15 A/T tires - Done
- Yeti 150 - Done
- Renorgy 50w Solar Panel- Done
- Lowered rear floor with rear seat delete - Done
- Rtic 65 w/ custom lock and custom interior mount - Done
- Front Roof Basket - Done
- Rear 3rd Roof bar, Yakima - Done
- GoPro mounts - Done

Attachments

Last edited:

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

The upgreads are coming, a lot of this is going to be fabricated and most parts need to be appropriated from other models. It's a weird world when you start down a path few have never traveled.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: AZAdventurer

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

The floor is in and the space is gigantic! I also installed the cooler on a slide with a lazy susan so it can be easily brought to the edge and drained out.

Yesterday I ordered a set of 215/65/16 Yokohama Geolandars. They will be sitting on some 16" blacked out 5 spoke Kia Niro wheels. Those should give this front wheel drive car a big more stability on trails... They should also make it look pretty awesome! The wheel and tire combination I put together saves almost 20lbs per wheel, I can't wait to see when happens to the fuel economy.

Since I have a good deal of space behind the tent I am going to cut up an old roof basket I have and down size it. That will go right behind the tent and take up the last 23".

The awning's and additional front light will be coming next month.

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Very cool - we all want a Land Cruiser, but you are proving that it is simply not necessary.

Looking forward to seeing further developments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. I have no doubt there is a Lexus gx or lx in my future but for now this will do well

JPMike

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Altoona, Pa
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hite
Member #

Sometimes you just have to work with what you got. I have a friend that loves his Soul. He loads up his kayak and mtb and goes camping all weekend. He lives and works in D.C., so he needs a economical daily driver. He just uses a ground tent.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: btedesign

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Time to post some build updates. We have been on the road a lot so not much has happened. We just put in a goal zero 150 to keep camp lights up and running as well as the electrical to keep the little battery charged. I decided to do something the manufacturer told me was impossible and added the third and rear cross bar. After doing that I moved the RTT to the rear and turned the RTT so it unfolds off the back instead of the sides. Today I also installed the awning on the passenger side and I am debating buying one for the driver side as well since the tent isn't in the way. Also the front of the roof has left me with enough room to add a 2' basket and a slide it 100watt solar panel.

IMG_6842.JPGIMG_6835.JPGIMG_6845.JPGIMG_6685.JPGIMG_6265.JPG

S

SubeeBen

Awesome looking rig & mods ! If they only made a lift for the soul ha ha. Love the idea of something new not the typical rig. Good job & look forward to your adventures

Reactions: btedesign

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Time to post some build updates. We have been on the road a lot so not much has happened. We just put in a goal zero 150 to keep camp lights up and running as well as the electrical to keep the little battery charged. I decided to do something the manufacturer told me was impossible and added the third and rear cross bar. After doing that I moved the RTT to the rear and turned the RTT so it unfolds off the back instead of the sides. Today I also installed the awning on the passenger side and I am debating buying one for the driver side as well since the tent isn't in the way. Also the front of the roof has left me with enough room to add a 2' basket and a slide it 100watt solar panel.
Looking good! Those tires are a tight squeeze! Will be nice to get that rear bag lift installed. If you have a front coil overs you could buy some HDPE plastic and have them cut to give you a mild 1-1.5” lift! I bought one made for the overseas versions of my outlander sport but it’s all the same shocks and mounts. Might be something to check into as you get deeper into the build [emoji1598][emoji1598]

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Looking good! Those tires are a tight squeeze! Will be nice to get that rear bag lift installed. If you have a front coil overs you could buy some HDPE plastic and have them cut to give you a mild 1-1.5” lift! I bought one made for the overseas versions of my outlander sport but it’s all the same shocks and mounts. Might be something to check into as you get deeper into the build [emoji1598][emoji1598]
The rear isn't as low as it looks. But because of the lack of lift kits on the market, I decided to go with skinny tires that fit in the wheel arches. Bags are in the future though. Thanks!

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

No, you didn't read that wrong. Why am I building out this little hampster-mobile and making it do things no one has ever intended?! I want to prove something! I want to show people that there is absolutely no reason they can't get out and explore. I teach automotive tech and sales every day and one of the things I hear the most is "it's a great car but there is no 4wd". This is true, the car has its limitations and won't go some places a Land Cruiser will. But not having all four wheels powered can't be the reason these people sit in front of the TV all day wishing they could get out but couldn't afford to. So here is what I am up to. Over the next few months,3 I will be turning my old Kia Soul into an overland rig. At the end of August my wife, two of my good friends and myself will be taking a trip from Tampa FL, to Denver CO, to the Red Wood Forest, down to Yellow Stone, over to the Grand Canyon, through New Orleans and back to home in Lakeland FL. So here is the list of things that must get done asap.

- RTT - Done
- 15 wheels
- BFG 215/65 15 A/T tires (gods I hope they fit, the math says they are 1" larger)
- rear airlift 1000 in spring airbags (because no one makes a reasonably priced rear lift kit)
- Dual battery set up for lights and power
- a full custom galley ( I am a maker so this is going to be a lot of fun to create from scratch)
I am currently deployed but I live in Florida. I would have loved to meet and tag along with you. What your doing is in my opinion genius. I look forward to seeing the build unfold and following the trip.