2012 jkur

• HTML tutorial

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
Been building up my Jeep for sometime now. Getting it ready for the trans America trail come this August.. my gobi stealth rack should ship this week, it was ordered back in November. Hopefully, it was worth the wait lol. Mods
Warn power plant 12k
37’s with full spare crawler concept carrier
Atx beadlocks
Icon coilovers front, icon shocks in the back.
Nitro axle shafts
Im sure I’m forgetting some stuff.
I’ll be ordering a cvt roof top tent and an arb fridge when the rack arrives. Any gear you guys recommend for this trip would be appreciated thanks.. u can also follow my other builds on instagram Rudyr03.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MazeVX

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
Gobi rack arrived has arrived.. hopefully I can install this week.. excited to see this product. Ordered in November and finally received it in April..

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Looking forward to a trip report when you are done with the TAT. What are you planning on carrying your dry food goods in?

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
I’m open to suggestions.. next upgrade is probably going to be dual battery kit with either snomaster or an arb fridge. Not sure if I want to make a drawer kit. I need the backseat for the kids.. any suggestions ??

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
As for the duel battery set up I am only familiar with the Genesis Offroad set up and it is a great product. I have several friends who have installed this system and have absolutely "0" problems. I will be installing mine sometime later this spring.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I used a weatherproof case for my "soft" dry food. Bread, beagles, chips and anything else that can get crushed easily. It actually worked out quite well and will be used on all trips going forward. The only issue I had with it was that it did not have an purge valve. This caused and issue opening it after altitude changes. I'll see if I can find a link to the one I bought when I get home. It was quite a bit cheaper than a Pelican.

What kind of electrical draw are you planning on in the Jeep? I ask because unless you are going to park your Jeep and leave it for a couple of days, a dual battery is not needed to run a fridge. I have a Dometic CFX50W that I run in the Jeep without issue as long as I drive each day (not tested a 2 day stay yet). I'm actually going to test running my fridge and four of my LED side lights overnight tonight to see how the battery holds up to that. That will give me a good idea on how long I could run the lights and fridge if I really needed to.

Now, if you plan to park for days and use the Jeep as a base camp, a second battery might be required. A better option might be to forego the dual battery setups and put that money towards a second battery and solar setup to charge it. More flexibility that way.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I used a weatherproof case for my "soft" dry food. Bread, beagles, chips and anything else that can get crushed easily. It actually worked out quite well and will be used on all trips going forward. The only issue I had with it was that it did not have an purge valve. This caused and issue opening it after altitude changes. I'll see if I can find a link to the one I bought when I get home. It was quite a bit cheaper than a Pelican.

What kind of electrical draw are you planning on in the Jeep? I ask because unless you are going to park your Jeep and leave it for a couple of days, a dual battery is not needed to run a fridge. I have a Dometic CFX50W that I run in the Jeep without issue as long as I drive each day (not tested a 2 day stay yet). I'm actually going to test running my fridge and four of my LED side lights overnight tonight to see how the battery holds up to that. That will give me a good idea on how long I could run the lights and fridge if I really needed to.

Now, if you plan to park for days and use the Jeep as a base camp, a second battery might be required. A better option might be to forego the dual battery setups and put that money towards a second battery and solar setup to charge it. More flexibility that way.
I only have one yellow top and use my ARB, lights while at a spot over night with no problems starting in the morning, I even leave the ham on until I go to bed. The main reason I am going to get the Genesis duel set up is piece of mind, its the mind thats screwing with me.

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
Yes the only reason why I’m doing it .. is for peace of mind also.. since I’ll be traveling with my wife and 2 small kids.. but the second battery with solar panel isn’t a bad idea? Which set up for that do you guys recommend.. I know that dual battery setup ain’t cheap lol

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Yes the only reason why I’m doing it .. is for peace of mind also.. since I’ll be traveling with my wife and 2 small kids.. but the second battery with solar panel isn’t a bad idea? Which set up for that do you guys recommend.. I know that dual battery setup ain’t cheap lol

$450 + for the battery set up. and my solar is a cheep 100watt but it works great. Search the forum for solar info there is lots of great advice.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I was going to do it for the piece of mind as well, but after testing it several times decided I'd get better piece of mind applying that money else where. And for piece of mind, you would be served just as well with one of the ~$150 jumper boxes. You can search Amazon for "solar power 12v battery charger kit" and get returns for several that have good reviews. They will not be the big names you see thrown around on the overland sites, but the RV people seem to like them well enough. You could actually get one of these solar kits and the jumper box for less than the dual battery setup.

I did find the link to the "bread box" that I used. It is actually a little deep for bread, so I put a spare blanket in the bottom. This one might be a better fit if you don't already have one. Like I said, the only draw back was it not having a purge valve. We had to pry it open with a screwdriver multiple times do to the seal being so good and altitude changes. but are bread was always fresh!

Reactions: Kent R
S

SubeeBen

Nice looking rig hows the wind noise with the soft top & Gobi ? Either way nice !

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
Nice looking rig hows the wind noise with the soft top & Gobi ? Either way nice !
It’s pretty noisy even with the deflector installed.. I think I’m going to try the pool noodle trick.. you have suggestions?

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

It’s pretty noisy even with the deflector installed.. I think I’m going to try the pool noodle trick.. you have suggestions?
Turn the radio up??? Just kidding. While driving I actually don't hear any noise from the Gobi at all. Not light bar or wind deflector installed. When stopped and the wind is blowing good, I do get a nice Indian song singing through the bars though. I kind of like it. lol

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
Turn the radio up??? Just kidding. While driving I actually don't hear any noise from the Gobi at all. Not light bar or wind deflector installed. When stopped and the wind is blowing good, I do get a nice Indian song singing through the bars though. I kind of like it. lol
Aré you currently running a soft top or hard top?? I think the problem is with soft tops.. it’s not unbearable it adds to the experience lol

S

SubeeBen

No suggestions. I was just wondering as I was thinking about putting on a soft top & I have a smittybilt src rack & was just wondering about noise issues. Thank you. ✌

JKScofield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

17812 Regentview Ave. Bellflower, Ca 90706
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Scofield
Member #

On the dual battery topic: I have the M.O.R.E (Mountain Off-Road Enterprises) Dual Battery kit installed in my '08. Fit was great. I picked it up to hold the dual Optima YellowTops so that I had more available juice if I needed to use the winch or run the lights for soccer practice. Just starting the Overlanding thing, so I will be adding the battery isolation kit from some mfg soon...

Reactions: Rudyr03