Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Launceston Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

I’m finally back on the dirt after a couple years without a capable 4x4. I’ve been looking and waiting for the right vehicle and the right time to get it.

Then all ducks lined up and managed to secure this lovely beast!

2012 FJ Cruiser with 55,000km (approx 35,000miles)
ARB bull bar and full roof rack
Warn winch
Ironman 4x4 lift kit
Awning
UHF radio
Dual battery setup
5 Brand new Cooper ST Maxx tyres
Rear drawers and fridge slide and slide out picnic table
Spotlights and light bars (need replacing)

I got it At 4pm and by 7pm was on a quick trail up the mountain.

Absolutely love it

Attachments

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Thanks for converting the odometer reading to mileage so I didn’t have to consult google for the conversion. :laughing:

That’s a great rig with a nice set up. Good for you. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Reactions: Tinsel

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

White walls on the FJ?

Trip to the Central Plateau Conservation area in Tasmania,over the long weekend, was a bit dry and dusty unfortunately but managed to have a look at the amazing Devils Gullet.

Wash number 3 coming up.

Attachments

Reactions: Nbyapp

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

Had to replace the old Coopers as they were getting a bit slippery in the wet.

didn’t even realise the tyres were 9 years old! So 60,000km and they’ve lost their wet grip ability and coming into the winter period I decided to go bigger.
Fitted Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70R17.
Looks great but might look at swapping out wheels to 8 or 8.5 inch wide to help support the sidewall better.
‘so far it does feel a bit more vague on the road. Haven’t done a real off-road trip yet in it.

what do you guys think? Anyone squeeze 285 on a 7 1/2” wheel?

17ED86F9-725B-400A-874F-1D27E3039A90.jpeg
C32DBC89-FFE5-4315-A310-0F5875CC91F7.jpeg

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

Some earlier mishaps with the FJ. Totally misjudged the size and slush of the boghole. Spoke to a fellow on the trail running 37s on his land cruiser and also got swallowed up so I had no hope on old 31.5”. But it was pretty funny afterwards.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
That was scary watching that winch operation side loaded with all that mud resistance

Reactions: Tinsel

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

I think this is a worldwide problem, junk in the bush. I’ve never gone through this track before and came across three burnt out cars in 10 mins, and a stack of junk that would fill up a couple trailers. Our state prides ourselves on clean and green etc but even so, the local bottom feeders still steal cars and burn them down in the bush risking fires on top of it all.
52872D9C-EE2C-47EB-A7D5-5B70E65DD73C.jpeg

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

Some earlier mishaps with the FJ. Totally misjudged the size and slush of the boghole. Spoke to a fellow on the trail running 37s on his land cruiser and also got swallowed up so I had no hope on old
31.5”. But it was pretty funny afterwards.

Hi there! My name is nolen and I’m looking my into an FJ for my GF and I love the look of them but I wanted to hear from you what ownership is like? Are you really just paying for looks and I should look at a land cruiser/gx460 or are these things really all that special/different from your normal Overlanding rig? Thank you!

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

My winch died on me a couple weeks ago while trying to clean it up.
Managed to pull the winch assembly out without taking the arb bar off and disassembled the winch gearbox. Surprisingly easy to do as it turns out.
The clutch release snapped and jammed up the gearbox causing it to lock up. So that will need to be replaced along with some new gaskets etc.
However, the state of the unit as a whole doesn’t fill me with confidence. Lots of rust and oxidation of parts in the gearbox and motor. I will be replacing it with a new winch and restoring this unit to go onto the rear of the vehicle for future touring once this whole COVID has settled down and snap lockdowns here stop.....hopefully one day.
Hard to tell but all the teeth are in great condition and nothing is bound up. New bearings, grease and gaskets with some electrical cleaner etc and she should be all good again.

2E9ADB2A-E63F-4EA7-8047-CAEDBACADDDD.jpeg