Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

Yeah, I have a police car. Don't plan on selling it or doing any frame swaps right now. Any suggestions for what I might want to add?

Currently have 29 inch Mastercraft AT tires, 9.5 inches of ground clearance. In the next few weeks I will be lifting it 3 inches.

Currently, I have:

2 Wavian gas canas
Roof rack
Shovel
2 First aid kits
CB Radio / PA Speaker
A little baofeng radio
Push bar mounted to the frame of the car (slightly bent because a Charger hit my front end on the right side)
Hitch mount
A tool bag of random tools
1 42 Inch Light bar
2 4inch lights on the back of the roof rack
LED Search light
Aftermarket air intake

I think that sums it up? Any suggestions to get into more serious overlanding? I plan on doing a dual battery sometime in the near future. Also planning some a on/off locking rear diff. I plan on getting a new set of headlights (mine are very dim), an extender for 4G (I live in the mountains and have poor service), side lights, and a 9500 pound winch mounted to the pushbar (or another suggested location).
Abandoned Gas Station.jpg

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

LOL. I'm sure you will get plenty of interested buyers. As far as upgrades, I like to go on a trip and make a list of what would make the next trip better. A fridge is a worthy upgrade. And maybe some kind of sink/shower system for onboard water. An awning might sit a little low on a sedan, but shade is always nice. Anything you do should match how you plan to use the rig.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah, I have a police car. Don't plan on selling it or doing any frame swaps right now. Any suggestions for what I might want to add?

Currently have 29 inch Mastercraft AT tires, 9.5 inches of ground clearance. In the next few weeks I will be lifting it 3 inches.

Currently, I have:

2 Wavian gas canas
Roof rack
Shovel
2 First aid kits
CB Radio / PA Speaker
A little baofeng radio
Push bar mounted to the frame of the car (slightly bent because a Charger hit my front end on the right side)
Hitch mount
1 42 Inch Light bar
LED Search light
Aftermarket air intake

I think that sums it up? Any suggestions to get into more serious overlanding? I plan on doing a dual battery sometime in the near future. Also planning some a on/off locking rear diff. I plan on getting a new set of headlights (mine are very dim), an extender for 4G (I live in the mountains and have poor service), side lights, and a 9500 pound winch mounted to the pushbar (or another suggested location).
View attachment 116927
@overthecrown
Okay, you didn't say but it probably already has a locker rear or at least posi track. I'd remove the lower part of the grill section and build me a winch mount up there with some recovery hooks. Three more inches of lift should let you put some 265/75R/16 wheels and tires. Probable need some rear wheel well opening butchery. It should come with a good tranny cooler but if it doesn't have one, I would add a tranny cooler. You might need to have some skid plates under the vulnerable areas of the belly of the car. Personally I would get rig of the wrap around headlight protection, it's just something else to get pushed into your body. After you remove the fiberglass skirting below the grill you may have some junk hanging down behind it that you can get rid of or relocate. Rip out the rear seat and cut out the firewall between the trunk and rear seats making it a larger cargo area. You should be able to lay in a plywood floor to kinda level everything out for sleeping and kitchen needs. A simple 4 point roll bar wouldn't be a bad addition if you have a heavy foot.
Then go out and give it hell. You might want to change out the rear gear ratio to at least 427-456 to 1 after you put the bigger tires on it., depending on how slow or fast you want to go. Of course you will want heavy duty shocks since you are raising the car. If steering drag links are vulnerable they may need a 1"x1" angle iron welded to them for added strength.

Reactions: MazeVX

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ya got my vote for "most unique" overland rig.....
Taxi cabs and cop cars dominate the streets, why not @ OB , we accept all. LOL I'm not going to laugh when I see him in my mirror at Moab with his red light flashing in glee.

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

LOL. I'm sure you will get plenty of interested buyers. As far as upgrades, I like to go on a trip and make a list of what would make the next trip better. A fridge is a worthy upgrade. And maybe some kind of sink/shower system for onboard water. An awning might sit a little low on a sedan, but shade is always nice. Anything you do should match how you plan to use the rig.
thought about an the awning. right now, without the lift, I would just barely clear it. with the 3 inch lift it should be fine. also thought about making a removable back seat that has a fridge in it.

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

@overthecrown
Okay, you didn't say but it probably already has a locker rear or at least posi track. I'd remove the lower part of the grill section and build me a winch mount up there with some recovery hooks. Three more inches of lift should let you put some 265/75R/16 wheels and tires. Probable need some rear wheel well opening butchery. It should come with a good tranny cooler but if it doesn't have one, I would add a tranny cooler. You might need to have some skid plates under the vulnerable areas of the belly of the car. Personally I would get rig of the wrap around headlight protection, it's just something else to get pushed into your body. After you remove the fiberglass skirting below the grill you may have some junk hanging down behind it that you can get rid of or relocate. Rip out the rear seat and cut out the firewall between the trunk and rear seats making it a larger cargo area. You should be able to lay in a plywood floor to kinda level everything out for sleeping and kitchen needs. A simple 4 point roll bar wouldn't be a bad addition if you have a heavy foot.
Then go out and give it hell. You might want to change out the rear gear ratio to at least 427-456 to 1 after you put the bigger tires on it., depending on how slow or fast you want to go. Of course you will want heavy duty shocks since you are raising the car. If steering drag links are vulnerable they may need a 1"x1" angle iron welded to them for added strength.
keeping the back seat for now, might make a removable platform. this car is still my daily driver and has usually my friend, myself, and my dog. tires are brand new so I probably gotta keep them for a while. would love a nice skid plate, I think progard makes them. doesnt have rear locker, dont think any stock crown vic does

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
keeping the back seat for now, might make a removable platform. this car is still my daily driver and has usually my friend, myself, and my dog. tires are brand new so I probably gotta keep them for a while. would love a nice skid plate, I think progard makes them. doesnt have rear locker, dont think any stock crown vic does
Easy enough to find out if you have a locker. Jack both wheels off the ground and turn the wheels, if they both turn the same direction you have a posi, all police cars have them. Or do a straight line burn out under full acceleration, It should leave two distinct tracks. Without bigger tire you are going to look like a raised low rider, me thinks.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

We need pictures!
But is it missing the cigarette lighter?

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Currently, I have:

2 Wavian gas canas
Roof rack
Shovel
2 First aid kits
CB Radio / PA Speaker
A little baofeng radio
Hitch mount
1 42 Inch Light bar
LED Search light
Aftermarket air intake

View attachment 116927

I dig it, nice post apocalyptic feel to the setting for the photo shoot. You definitely need a nice "Taxi Driver"-DeNiro style mohawk haircut and M65 field jacket when fielding

You're going to have to build a winch mount, that is a push bar not a pull bar, you'll just winch that puppy right off the front of the car.

Does it have a proper back seat, or the molded plastic "perp tub". The perp tub would be perfect, you can puke on it, bleed on it, get it dirty as you want and then hose it out.

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

I dig it, nice post apocalyptic feel to the setting for the photo shoot. You definitely need a nice "Taxi Driver"-DeNiro style mohawk haircut and M65 field jacket when fielding

You're going to have to build a winch mount, that is a push bar not a pull bar, you'll just winch that puppy right off the front of the car.

Does it have a proper back seat, or the molded plastic "perp tub". The perp tub would be perfect, you can puke on it, bleed on it, get it dirty as you want and then hose it out.
leather rear seat, thankfully. even if the pushbar is mounted to the frame, it would yank it off? I heard you can use the hitch reciever as a recovery point, but those are usually held together with some bolts and whatnot.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
leather rear seat, thankfully. even if the pushbar is mounted to the frame, it would yank it off? I heard you can use the hitch reciever as a recovery point, but those are usually held together with some bolts and whatnot.
You want them bolted ! Might get a welder to install a winch plate to your existing push bar
After a beef up.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Without seeing how it is mounted, but barring luck, it is reasonable to assume that something designed to do one thing is not going to do the exact opposite well.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

After seeing this beast from afar in the wild, and then randomly having you message me on Reddit - I am really glad you joined Overland Bound. That thing is a BEAST. Can't wait to see it in action!

If you're going to upgrade your lights, make sure you upgrade the housings as well! Nothing is worse than meeting a car on the road running HID lights in projector housings.

Does the spot light work? Also, if you haven't already, I would definitely put some random colored strobes or wig-wag flashers (not red, blue, white or amber - but something you don't normally see), a Ghostbusters style siren, and a PA speaker for off-the-road shenanigans.