Huntington Beach, California, United States
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
I’ve had this vehicle 8 years and now have decided to turn it into an overland vehicle for me and my son to go out and explore and camp. This pic is of the stock look before the build start. IMG_8526.JPGIMG_8527.JPG

Phase 1 is done. Pro comp 6” suspension. 17” Black Rhino wheels with 35” pro comp mud extremes. Add a Wilco hitch gate max for the full size spare.

Next step is sPod, dual battery setup, on board ARB compressor, light bar and hopefully roof rack.

Attachments

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I look forward to seeing your completed photos and what all you have done to your rig.

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
I should have some more this week. Going to try and get some of the electrical stuff done. Spod and ham radio and I am also looking to relocate my park assist to the back of the tire Carrier just not sure it’s worth it. Also need to relocate review camera and install a new plate light since that had to be relocated as well. Fun fun.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I should have some more this week. Going to try and get some of the electrical stuff done. Spod and ham radio and I am also looking to relocate my park assist to the back of the tire Carrier just not sure it’s worth it. Also need to relocate review camera and install a new plate light since that had to be relocated as well. Fun fun.
I installed my Ham Radio in the headliner where the front dome lights are I will be installing new lights above the seats. I gave up on the park assist for now but I may install a swing out rack on my bumper later. I installed my camera above just under the center tail light but I am thinking of relocating it to the tag mount. I have a 2011 Tahoe too if you get a chance check out my build thread.

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
I installed my Ham Radio in the headliner where the front dome lights are I will be installing new lights above the seats. I gave up on the park assist for now but I may install a swing out rack on my bumper later. I installed my camera above just under the center tail light but I am thinking of relocating it to the tag mount. I have a 2011 Tahoe too if you get a chance check out my build thread.
Oh I have been following it. You have given me a lot of ideas on somethings. I had asked you at one point about the front bumper cause I am trying to decide on one. There are not a lot of companies that make one winch ready for our rigs.

I am going to be doing a little wood project this winter. Going to build a two drawer storage for the back but it has to be strong enough to hold my big butt so I can sleep on it for now. Haven’t decided on a more permanent sleep arrangement yet for my son and I. Can’t decide on a RTT or just get a real good quality ground tent. I’m trying to get as much done as possible I have a trip to California next April. Will be leaving Texas and hitting trails in Utah and near Yosemite in the Sierras. Then meeting wife in San Fran going to red woods then drive coast down to San Diego. Possibly on the way home Grand Canyon, tombstone AZ and then big bend. So a lot needs to be ready for the long trip.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
The rack system I use easily holds up for my wife and I sleeping on it. It doesn't even flex. I weigh in at 250 pounds... You can build it in a few hours. If you use just 2 4x2 racks you can leave the 2nd row seats in there.

Reactions: Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Well, got the next step done....a few electrical items. Installed the sPod Bantham with 8 circuits under the hood and touchscreen on the radio dash. I then installed the Kenwood TM-D710G dual band radio and wired it to the sPod, with the main unit installed under steering wheel, head unit in headliner near sun roof and mic under sPod on radio dash. Also, mounted the iPad holder on the passenger side of center console. Just need the ram mount that will actually hold iPad to the mount. I also ran wiring from the back of the vehicle to the dual battery side under the hood in the front of vehicle in preparation of Dometic fridge/freezer that will connect to the aux battery. I plan to only connect the fridge to this aux deep cycle battery with the hopes that it will last a while with vehicle off. I will be installing a national luna dual battery setup kit that will charge that aux battery anytime the vehicle is started. May need to see how that works and maybe add a solar option as well if needed.

Next step is to install my 60" Hi-Lift jack on the hood and install the 50" curved rough country light bar and tie it into the sPod.IMG_8758.jpgIMG_8759.jpgIMG_8771.jpgIMG_8772.jpgIMG_8773.jpg

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
That is looking good. I will have to check into that Batam pod
Thanks. I forgot to stop at lowes this morning and get the rubber grommet for the data cable that goes in the headliner for a clean look. Saw it in the picture and realized I forgot it...hahah

The sPod is expensive in my opinion, but has pretty cool features. Has a lot of features for controlling accessories. They are also expandable so you can connect 4 sPods together for a total of 32 switches and all can be conttrolled from the touch screen inside the vehicle.

Reactions: Charles M

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Looking forward to seeing the up date.
Had a complication with the ham radio wiring Crapped out on me, so been doing some unwiring and wiring this week. This Wednesday I plan on installing light bar and mounting hi-lift to the front hood. Maybe also the jerry can holder. Will post picks when done with that.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I just ordered ditch lights, and will be adding a 30" lightbar once i get a steel bumper, and maybe lights for my bed rack to lighten up the surrounding area. I've looked at SPOD, just worried its a bit pricey and over kill for what I want

Reactions: Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Another good day of installs. I got the 50" curved Rough Country DRL black series light bar installed and mounted the Hi-Lift jack to the front hood. Also, almost completed the relocation of the rear back up camera until I realized after wiring that it will not connect to stock radio. Hmmmm I have been wanting a new radio head unit, so now I got to install that to finish the camera. This is an after market camera, I figured it was easier to just install a new one then pull everything apart in the back to unwire the stock camera....that kind of bit me in the butt.IMG_8808.jpgIMG_8811.jpgIMG_8812.jpgIMG_8813.jpgIMG_8814.jpgIMG_8815.jpgIMG_8817.jpgIMG_8818.jpgIMG_8819.jpg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Ohhh ahhh nice setup! On your Wilco hitch what is that thing holding the spare tire in place?

thing.PNG