Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

2010 Subaru Outback with 2.5l 4 cylinder boxer engine and a 6 speed manual transmission.
I got it in November 2020 with 128k on the clock for a steal.
So far all I've really done is a sound system and a few cosmetic upgrades.

Plans are as follow:

Bilstein B4 struts
King overload springs
ADF 2" lift spacers
RalliTEK rear lower control arms
SPC rear toe arms

15" Black Rhino Rumble Wheels
235/75/15 Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Prinsu roof rack
Waterport day tank
OVS shower room
OVS 270 LT awning
OVS Nomadic 2 RTT

I want to do a couple sets of lights up front and something in the rear.
I don't want a swing out tire gate so I need to find a place to keep my full size spare.
For remote ventures I need extra gas, stand alone battery jumper, air compressor.

I have a small solar panel and battery pack for camping. I want to do a small camp kitchen in the rear.
I drive this car everyday which is why I will keep a lot of stuff on the roof. The interior will mostly be used for people and to store gear.
I love this forum and the community here. Tons of great information and friendly people.

Now to the build-

This is my second Outback. Before that I had an old Tacoma (loved that truck) and a TJ (loved that rig as well)
Overall I loved my 2007 Outback. My biggest gripe was the automatic. It was the first car I ever owned with one and it was underwhelming.

The first few things I did to the new-to-me Outback were:

Sony XAV-AX7000
JBL under seat subwoofer
Hitch (wiring is still sitting in my garage)
Hella Horns (I rolled my eyes at it too I got sucked in)
Legacy Grill
Blacked-Out Headlights (did these myself)
And the day I wrote this I got my Primitive Racing full skid set on.

.IMG_8735.jpgIMG_8754.jpgIMG_8762.jpgIMG_8773.jpgIMG_9397.jpgIMG_9398.jpgIMG_9600.jpgIMG_9644 2.jpgIMG_9648.jpg

I will keep this updated as I go.

Cheers.

-Alex

Attachments

Last edited:

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

Got some work done this weekend.

IMG_9743.jpg

IMG_9749.jpgIMG_9754.jpg

Really happy with how it turned out. A few things I discovered in the process:

My tie rods are seized and the passenger side has a bit of play
My front passenger axle has a torn boot and with the lift is now giving me a clunk

I will sort this out as soon as I can. Parts have been ordered.

My friend in Pittsburgh let me use his garage (and enthusiastically helped)
He and some friends use the space to build choppers. It was a blast hanging out and working on my car.

Cheers.

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

Working on a mount for a full size spare inside the Outback. I would like to have the option to carry it inside and on top depending on where I'm going and what I'm hauling. I sold my spare tire (donut) and now have a big storage area in the rear. Here are some things I've gotten together over the past few months I plan on keeping in there.

IMG_9864.jpg

Noco Boost + stand alone battery jumper
Smittybilt 2780 2.54 CFM portable air compressor
Air down kit
Tire repair kit

I'm gonna organize a tool kit to keep in the car. I keep a ratchet set, some hand tools, and extra wrenches in the back but I'm going to take a look at everything and try and get something together that would allow me to handle most repairs when I'm away from home. One of my favorite aspects of being a "hobby" overlander such as myself is the feeling of security that comes from deliberate preparation.

Any suggestions for things maybe I wouldn't think of that you all keep in your vehicles I would love to hear them!

Cheers.

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

IMG_3251.jpg

Been busy as hell with school. Managed to change the oil, give it a quick wash, and toss in my spare tire carrier. Tire was just a bit too big to fit inside how I wanted it. Rigid Armor drop down tire carrier. Also you can see my RalliTek lower control arms/endlinks, Bilstein B4 struts, and King Springs. I like the simple and beefy design of the tire carrier. It also has a 2 inch receiver.

Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Nicely done! I can see the Rallitek control arms on your ‘2010. :) What is next on your list to do?

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

Nicely done! I can see the Rallitek control arms on your ‘2010. :) What is next on your list to do?
I have had a Prinsu rack for way too long I need to get on there. I'm hoping to do that and get a ceramic coating on the paint before winter.

Reactions: Cascadia

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

65905262490__98CB6DA6-CBE2-4BF5-A8DB-C520E740E5DF.jpegIMG_3863.jpegIMG_3860.jpeg65913098430__7F95C09C-3037-40DE-B901-2E79653853BB.jpegIMG_3851 2.jpegIMG_3868.jpegIMG_3897.jpegIMG_3898.jpegIMG_3917.jpegIMG_3921.jpegIMG_3916.jpegIMG_3915.jpegIMG_3930.jpegIMG_3931.jpegIMG_3928.jpegIMG_4018.jpegIMG_4030.jpegIMG_4031.jpegIMG_3966.jpegIMG_3967.jpegIMG_3969.jpeg

Photo dump. Some context-

Finally got the Prinsu on. Did it in 5 hours. I only needed help sitting it on the roof. The interior was less hassle than predicted. I put some extra insulation on the roof. I can't say enough good things about this rack. It is a simple design that is sturdy, intuitive, and has endless utility.

I cracked my front bumper cover and nearly pushed my radiator support through my radiator. I got lucky. I cut my front bumper along the line where it goes from paint to just bare plastic. I like the look and gives a little extra clearance. I will hand winch my radiator support back out soon. I think it's affecting my hood latch. It's acting odd now.

My first time re-booting an axle. I had two different re-manufactured axles that gave me vibrations at two different speeds. I pulled my OEM when I first noticed the ripped boot. I put on a FlexBoot and packed in some fresh grease. The pneumatic boot stretcher did the job. Quick wire wheel and rattle can job. I can swap an axle in a Subaru in 45 mins.

I still had significant rake even with a heavy load. I considered flipping my rear Rallitek lower control arms which would lower the rear, but I have poor decision making skills and no self-control. I put an extra 3/8 inch spacer on the front struts. The stance is much better. I tossed my front wheel arch moldings back on. Got it aligned and it drives great.

My trusty Yakima Rocketbox. I got this thing on craigslist for $75 bucks years ago. OB's rear hatch likes to hit these longer cargo boxes. I sat it about an inch from my opened rear hatch. Moved a rear crossbar forward a bit, drilled new holes for the front, stainless hardware and silicone in any unused holes, fender washers and nylock nuts on the 4 mounting points, and voila!

Overland Vehicle Systems 270 LT Awning. The awning itself is great. What I don't like is the height. This is a not a problem with the product, its a problem because I put it on an OB. First, I can't stand up straight underneath it. Second, my rear hatch won't open enough to not be super in the way. I am going to modify the mounting brackets to raise it up.

4 pin trailer wiring harness install. Curt kit off amazon- super easy. I can now legally tow my kayak trailer. I also wired a license plate light relocation. I got the part from MaxBilt and spliced it into a 4 pin extension harness. Unplugs when I'm not using the carrier. Unplugs if I am towing a trailer. No headaches.

When I have the chance I take off my skids to wash them and inspect everything above them. Here they are with some light damage. Rear diff skid is not pictured. Primitive Racing is the only company that makes a mid/trans skid for 4th gen OB's. 3/16 inch aluminum. I can take them on and off by myself. These were the first thing I installed. I highly recommend them.

Best

Reactions: kostkafex

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

IMG_4300 2.jpg

I figured this forum would like this. Northern Tool aluminum trailer kit, extended toungue, added crossbars for kayaks, basket and rod holders up front. This thing is super light you don't even feel a 4 cylinder towing it.

Reactions: BlackDog1