First Name
Le
Last Name
Voyager
Member #

I’m in the process of upgrading my suspension. All the parts have been ordered:
5100 Bilstein Struts
ARB OME Dakar Leaf Springs
Factory coils (4WP and local shop say I should keep original coils... sounds like a bad idea). Of course there are more smaller parts. However, the more I dig, I’m finding this probably isn’t an optimal for a RTT, aftermarket steel bumper, and loads of gear inside... especially if I want it to wheel decent. Should I look at an OME Kit? Or would some of you have different recommendations?

Meettaco

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

If you get a front bumper you should upgrade your coils. Med spring probably. Or try it first with stock then figure it out. But most people upgrade the coils - I have a 2006 Xterra with Icon front coilovers and OME rear spring pack along with Icon shocks rear as well.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
You’re going to want to upgrade to a higher spring rate if you’re adding a RTT, bumper, etc. Honestly, I wouldn’t waste my time with the 5100s if you are adding a steel plate bumper. Just bite the bullet and buy full coil overs with higher rate springs. PRG just launched a fairly budget friendly coil over. You’ll also want to address the sagging leaf packs. I would just replace them since AAL and helper springs are just band aides.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I suggest the full OME kit personally. With a RTT, bumper, winch, ect, you'll probably want the heavy load springs. It's a well engineered kit and can be tweaked to suit your needs down the road.

I have the Radflo shocks all around, Alcan springs in the rear, and plate bumper with winch. I'm happy with it but the 650lb rate springs in the front are too stout for my vehicle weight. I need to drop back to 600s, if not 550s in the future.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I suggest the full OME kit personally. With a RTT, bumper, winch, ect, you'll probably want the heavy load springs. It's a well engineered kit and can be tweaked to suit your needs down the road.

I have the Radflo shocks all around, Alcan springs in the rear, and plate bumper with winch. I'm happy with it but the 650lb rate springs in the front are too stout for my vehicle weight. I need to drop back to 600s, if not 550s in the future.
I'm currently @ 600lb rate with my radflos and I'm fully Armored. Other than my need to replace the AAL's with a good set of Alcans I'm pretty happy with it. I've added a little more weight than my original configuration, so we'll see if just replacing the rear leafs works in my situation.

I just test measured for my Timbren bumpstops and I may be just touching the axle (or resting), so I'm slightly hesitant about the install.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm currently @ 600lb rate with my radflos and I'm fully Armored. Other than my need to replace the AAL's with a good set of Alcans I'm pretty happy with it. I've added a little more weight than my original configuration, so we'll see if just replacing the rear leafs works in my situation.

I just test measured for my Timbren bumpstops and I may be just touching the axle (or resting), so I'm slightly hesitant about the install.
That's good to know! I think the 650s are just too stout and are limiting my front suspension travel a lot. I flexed it out in the yard recently and couldn't get it to contact the front bump stops before it was losing traction and spinning.

Also, I need to cut down the mounts for my rear Timbrens. They are too tall and I’ve got some morenup travel there im leaving I n the table right now too.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

That's good to know! I think the 650s are just too stout and are limiting my front suspension travel a lot. I flexed it out in the yard recently and couldn't get it to contact the front bump stops before it was losing traction and spinning.

Also, I need to cut down the mounts for my rear Timbrens. They are too tall and I’ve got some morenup travel there im leaving I n the table right now too.
Greg @ PRG recommended 600 based on having an Aluminum Winch bumper and planned Aluminum skids. I ended up getting some used steel skids so went that way. I think he recommended 650 for steel, and also said that the OME rear leafs were like 650. This was a couple years ago so that may be different.

Agree on the Timbrens. You're just planning on cutting and re-welding? Wish I had the talent.