• HTML tutorial

Bomber Bash

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA
Member #

TLDR; Post Warno

I have a 2010 Jeep JKU purchased used in 2012 with 26K miles. I have kept up the maintenance and have 111k+ miles and going. Other than changing the stage 2 transmission solenoid. (knock on wood) I have had minimal problems with my way underpowered engine. I see in posts about the nightmares of these engines and have seen a few get upwards of 200k.

I previously owned an 81 CJ7 that is still rolling strong after one engine rebuild and a few other mods.

Who else with Jeeps rocking the 3.8 that plans on keeping them running like I did with my CJ (sold it with 240K+ miles)? I love the 4 door and am not interested in getting a newer model. I have friends that say get a Toyota, older Jeep, etc. But I have rigged and am continuing to rig this one out like I like. When the time comes I will be replacing with the same engine due to costs and its been pretty good to me.

My thought is that it is way easier and more cost effective to keep and older without the electronics rig running verse this one. Not interested in an LS1 or other type engine swap. What is your long term plan for your high milage JKU? Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 2.18.41 PM.png

Where are my 3.8L Jeep JKU Overlanders?

Reactions: MazeVX

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
My 2010 JKU is at 135k and still running strong. I did have one hiccup at around 78k miles that resulted in an engine rebuild. As for how long I plan to keep it going... The plan right now is to go until the earth reclaims all the metal through the rust process. Since I have no issues right now, I expect that to be at around 800k miles.

Seriously though, properly maintained (which it is) I anticipate getting at least another 130k out of it.

Reactions: Bomber Bash

Bomber Bash

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

My 2010 JKU is at 135k and still running strong. I did have one hiccup at around 78k miles that resulted in an engine rebuild. As for how long I plan to keep it going... The plan right now is to go until the earth reclaims all the metal through the rust process. Since I have no issues right now, I expect that to be at around 800k miles.

Seriously though, properly maintained (which it is) I anticipate getting at least another 130k out of it.
Hahaha, nice! Good to know someone has the same thoughts as I do about keeping it going. I will keep that maintenance up!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My 2011 has 90k on it and very minimal problems. The mini van engine is defiantly underpowered but the proper gearing takes care of most of that. I like it so much that when the engine quits ill put the LS in it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
According to a couple of my buddies who work at jeep, as long as you don't mod them too bad (huge tires, ton of weight, tow big trailers) and do all the maintenance on time, they seem to hold together. The biggest issue you have though is buying one used. For some reason people think 4WD means less maintenance.
I have spent my who life working in a shop professionally and lack of maintenance is the biggest cause for failure. Most of the manufactures have their engineering issues which means that part of the vehicle will wear out or break prematurely but, that's different.
In my opinion Jeep should have used a different motor. On the other hand, if you don't drive it hard to make up for the lack of power, it doesn't do too bad. I have heard of eng/trans overhauls 75k-100k. I have also heard people say their at 150k with no real problems other than small things wearing out like water pump, alternator...

Scott

Bomber Bash

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

According to a couple of my buddies who work at jeep, as long as you don't mod them too bad (huge tires, ton of weight, tow big trailers) and do all the maintenance on time, they seem to hold together. The biggest issue you have though is buying one used. For some reason people think 4WD means less maintenance.
I have spent my who life working in a shop professionally and lack of maintenance is the biggest cause for failure. Most of the manufactures have their engineering issues which means that part of the vehicle will wear out or break prematurely but, that's different.
In my opinion Jeep should have used a different motor. On the other hand, if you don't drive it hard to make up for the lack of power, it doesn't do too bad. I have heard of eng/trans overhauls 75k-100k. I have also heard people say their at 150k with no real problems other than small things wearing out like water pump, alternator...

Scott
Scott,

Totally agree with keeping in great shape. I bought mine used in 2012 with 26K on it. You could tell it was a mall crawler and garage kept. The undercarriage was like new. I keep all my fluids fresh and my only battle now is keeping the salt off of it from living 4 blocks from the ocean. I hope to get 200k out of her. Thank you for the words.