North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
As my 2003 Tundra neared 300k miles and had several things to be done, I looked for another vehicle. I needed something for work, camper toting, work around the property and long trips.

Enter the 2010 Dodge Dakota. 4.7 V8, TRX package, which includes skid plates and a positraction rear end/ 135k miles when I bought it. Did not feel or seem like a truck. Sagged like a mofo when I added the camper.

So. To start I added helper springs in the rear, Monroe Heavy Duty shocks and Timbren SES bumpstops (These are my go to for load control on trucks) to make this work. Worried about weight? Let me tell you that at this point Dodge was phasing out the Dakota. The frame, entire drivetrain and brakes all match the 2010 Dodge 1500. Yes there are small differences in dimensions like width and length, but irrelevant to my purpose. I have done hundreds if not thousands of miles now with this set up and it handles great.

Since bought, I have added not just the rear suspension parts, but also rebuilt the entire front end including 1/2" spacers, which led to a full 1" lift. I then added some Cooper AT3's in a size 1" bigger than stock. 265/75/16

The truck should have come this way. There is extremely limited aftermarket support for the truck, so I am doing the best I can with it. This is how she sits at the moment
Dakota 2023.jpg

Seems to be toting the camper well at this stage of my build.
Dakota July 2023.jpg

However, I find myself lusting after all kinds of other rigs, from 3/4 ton trucks to jeeps. Had to do some soul searching. Should I work on this due to the positives or should I chase another platform?

* I really like the drivetrain. The 4.7 mated to the 5 speed auto is awesome. With the 5th gear, since I drive like a ganny, I can eke out 21 or 22 on the highway... if I keep it at 65mph or lower.
* I like the size... super easy to drive and park.
* So far it has done everything I have asked, from carrying the camper to a couple 1200 mile round trip road trips. We have carried a roll of hay in the back, while toting a car trailer, stacked with 4 more round bales, 4 x 25 mile each way trips in one day.
* We live 3/4 of a mile in the woods and my "drive" may be more rough than most 4wd trails, so it is in the dirt regularly.

But...
I am missing something. I don't know... a "cool" factor, a "truck" feeling, something... so here are my plans... if I can work it all out.

• Front spacers for 2" total front lift. When I do this I am going to replace the struts. I am a fan of Monroe and since none of the "off road" oriented companies do anything for this truck, I got a set from Monroe. Had to go for a slightly earlier year, but will fit. This will allow me to assemble the struts and spacers and do the install all at once.
  • 1" lift blocks in the back. The rear suspension changes I have made already, in order to carry the camper well, have already pushed the rear end up, but I want to be ready with the blocks after the front is done in case it is needed. I do not mind a stinkbug stance and prefer to have the truck level with the camper on.
  • Thanks to @CR-Venturer on here I have nice pics of the frame as it exists under the fron bumper. Both I and my 14 year old weld. We are going to take the front bumper off and try to work out a hidden winch between the front frame rails. Hopefully be able to put the silly looking front bumper back on with access to the winch cut in. We'll see. That one is going to be a "design as you go" adventure.
  • Goal is to mount 285/75/16 or 255/85/16 tires for increased clearance, with the winch to provide self recovery and to do work around our property.
  • The Chrysler 9.25 rear axle is stout enough. I may drop a locker in... yet to be determined. I have done several lunchbox lockers in the past and find it a rather easy and enjoyable mod.

Other goal is for me to like it better. I am 56 and have been off roading/camping, etc my whole life and had some very cool rigs. I like the Dakota, just need to toughen it up a bit, I guess. I figure I am at a point in my life where even though this may be frivolous, I don't care :-)

Stay tuned... hoping to get started this weekend, weather, parts arrival and time allowing.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Looking good! Thanks for the shoutout :D If you decide to fit 285/75/16's, I'm intrigued to know what if anything is needed to fit them, as I considered those but for various reasons had to play it safe and go with 265/75/16's at the time.

I also had the same idea you had about fitting a hidden winch. I know of someone on a Dakota forum who did exactly that, so it can certainly be done. If you want me to dig up the link and provide it, please let me know.

Oh, and also, could you link to the helper springs you used in the rear? I really need a set as mine is getting tired and saggy in the butt!

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: jscusmcvet

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Looking good! Thanks for the shoutout :D If you decide to fit 285/75/16's, I'm intrigued to know what if anything is needed to fit them, as I considered those but for various reasons had to play it safe and go with 265/75/16's at the time.

I also had the same idea you had about fitting a hidden winch. I know of someone on a Dakota forum who did exactly that, so it can certainly be done. If you want me to dig up the link and provide it, please let me know.

Oh, and also, could you link to the helper springs you used in the rear? I really need a set as mine is getting tired and saggy in the butt!

Cheers
If you rememebr which forum I can probably find that write up. Would be good to have an idea in my head and then pretend for my 14 year old it was my idea... LOL!

I think the 285's will fit with some inner trimming for turning. Honestly I love the 255/85/16 sixe, 33" and about 9.5 inches wide. That is most likely the way I will go.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

If you rememebr which forum I can probably find that write up. Would be good to have an idea in my head and then pretend for my 14 year old it was my idea... LOL!

I think the 285's will fit with some inner trimming for turning. Honestly I love the 255/85/16 sixe, 33" and about 9.5 inches wide. That is most likely the way I will go.
Here's the link, just scroll down a bit and the fellow did a full write up with pics on his winch mount setup: good place to mount a winch? - DodgeForum.com

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Reactions: CR-Venturer

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thanks. Definitely something he and I can pull off. My Dakota has great factory tow hooks so we'll try to figure out how to tie the winch mount to those for strength
Nice! I had a heck of a time trying to find factory tow hooks for mine, so I had to just drill and bolt in some rated recovery hooks to the frame. Could you by chance provide a link to the helper springs you used? Mine needs them desperately.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Hellwig/HE72FR.html These are the helper springs. They stiffen up your suspension and ride all the time.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Timbren/TDDR052.html This is the Timbren SES "bump stops". They only engage when you load your truck and it sinks about an inch.

Part Details These are the load bearing shocks. I like these a lot. Also gave about an inch of lift.

Hope that helps
This is awesome, thanks! I assume the helper springs also decrease the saggy butt effect as well?

Looks like the perfect solution for me. Very affordable.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
The helper springs did not seem to lift at rest, but help when you load heavy... So it takes more weight to sag... If that makes sense.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
After some tinkering this morning the Monroe struts do not fit. The bolt patter on the top is different. I thought the 2005 - 2010 were the same but apparently NOT. Dammit. Might not be today but will try to mount the spacers with the stock struts.