2009 Tacoma (Ralph) pic heavy

• HTML tutorial

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Figured I better start a build thread on here. The truck started as a bone stock double cab long bed Tacoma. I initially started building it purely as a tow rig for the family boat and occasionally pulling an enclosed trailer. My dad and I picked it up on a long weekend I had from college. IMG_3697.jpg

First thing I changed was the mirrors. When pulling the boat I couldn't see around the boat very well. To go along with the mirrors I added air bags on the back as well as a trailer brake controller. IMG_3875.jpg

From there I put on a small spacer lift and 33's to get it up in the air a little bit. IMG_3948.jpgNext came some more off road oriented things which also helped with deer protection.
IMG_4780.jpg
It was about this time I started to get back into camping and exploring. I quickly realized I wanted more storage solutions. I got in touch with 4xinnovations in Platteville, Wisconsin to build me a bed rack that would work with my tonneau cover. IMG_5176.jpg
With the rack I was able to put bikes and kayaks on the rack while keeping my whole bed open and having the hitch available. IMG_5642.jpg
It was also about this time my dad picked up a 2017 4runner trd offroad premium. Guess the family has a thing for white Toyotas with hood scoops.

Eventually I added a rigid sr20 to the bumper as well as a Warn vr10 winch.
IMG_6621.PNG

Suspension:
Bds 2.5" strut spacer (removed)
bilstein 6112 on 5th notch
light racing uca
bilstein 5125 rear
Bds 2" block
Firestone ride rite air bag

Tires and Rims:
285/70r17 Duratracs
Ultra Gauntlet 238

Armor
Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop

Recovery:
Warn vr10

Lighting
Rigid 20" sr midnight edition in bumper
rigid duallys ( with amber covers) as fog lights

2 10" cheapo bars off the rear bumper

Communication:

uniden 520 cb
2-3' firestiks

Audio:

Alpine IVE530 radio
Alpine type r 8" sub
Alpine MRv500 amp

Cargo:

4xinnovations bed rack

MISC:

Prodigy P2 brake controller
cobra radar detector

Future:
bolt on rock sliders ( unsure of brand, recommendations?)
skid plates ( recommendations?)
arb lockers
4.56 gears
maybe a sunroof.
roof rack

Dreams

Tundra 5.7 swap

Last edited:

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

You still running the spacer lift with stock TRD Sport suspension? I have a 17 Sport with stock suspension and I'm already getting annoyed with how tight it is on the trail. I was going to do a spacer lift for bigger tires, but that will just preload the control arms, giving less wheel travel. So rather than get a spacer lift now, I'm saving for a bit longer to go right to some 5100s, OME coils, and AAL.
What are your thoughts on a spacer lift on a Sport?

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

You still running the spacer lift with stock TRD Sport suspension? I have a 17 Sport with stock suspension and I'm already getting annoyed with how tight it is on the trail. I was going to do a spacer lift for bigger tires, but that will just preload the control arms, giving less wheel travel. So rather than get a spacer lift now, I'm saving for a bit longer to go right to some 5100s, OME coils, and AAL.
What are your thoughts on a spacer lift on a Sport?
I actually got rid of the front spacers in the spring and switched to bilstein 6112 up front. I did run them for about 30k miles though. They are alright for most street driving. Offroad there was a noticeable lack of suspension. In my opinion save up for the 5100's. If I had to do it again I would have saved longer and gotten the better suspension right away.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I actually got rid of the front spacers in the spring and switched to bilstein 6112 up front. I did run them for about 30k miles though. They are alright for most street driving. Offroad there was a noticeable lack of suspension. In my opinion save up for the 5100's. If I had to do it again I would have saved longer and gotten the better suspension right away.
That's the answer I wanted to hear haha! Thanks

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

You're not too far from me! Any good trails down your way? Truck looks badass.
Not really any public trails around here just some level B roads none of which a stock 4x4 cant do. I have done some events with the tri state stump jumpers on private land. Most of them have wranglers or rock buggies and the majority of the land they go on is more than my truck will do.

Reactions: OverlandIowa

OverlandIowa

Rank II

Advocate II

Not really any public trails around here just some level B roads none of which a stock 4x4 cant do. I have done some events with the tri state stump jumpers on private land. Most of them have wranglers or rock buggies and the majority of the land they go on is more than my truck will do.
Yeah same thing around here. I'm always searching for back roads and small open trails.

Reactions: bajablastgg

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Yeah same thing around here. I'm always searching for back roads and small open trails.
Ive spent many afternoons doing that lol. Sometimes it pays off but most of the time it just turns into a nice drive.

Appreciate the compliment on the truck by the way. It was actually my dads 4th gen 4runner that led the way to me getting a Tacoma.

OverlandIowa

Rank II

Advocate II

Ive spent many afternoons doing that lol. Sometimes it pays off but most of the time it just turns into a nice drive.

Appreciate the compliment on the truck by the way. It was actually my dads 4th gen 4runner that led the way to me getting a Tacoma.
Yeah I love my 4th gen, I had a 2002 Tacoma before my 4runner. I loved that truck. We are in the process of planning a trip out towards Telluride , CO this coming spring/summer so I can get my trail fix!

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Yeah I love my 4th gen, I had a 2002 Tacoma before my 4runner. I loved that truck. We are in the process of planning a trip out towards Telluride , CO this coming spring/summer so I can get my trail fix!
I tried my best to get my dad 4runner for my first vehicle but there was no getting it from him. It was a work horse for our family for almost 10 years. He recently got a 5th gen t4r and likes that one even more. Telluride is an awesome place! I went skiing there a couple years ago and absolutely loved the town. It is a Toyota town for sure. Tacomas and 4runners are all over the place.

Reactions: OverlandIowa

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Can you give some more info/pics on that rack? Specifically how it fits with the tonneau still on. I have a tri-fold on my 2017 and I love it, it's waterproof-ish, and locks in my gear when my tailgate is locked. But I'd like to get either a rack back there too, or just get a cap and enclose it all.

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Can you give some more info/pics on that rack? Specifically how it fits with the tonneau still on. I have a tri-fold on my 2017 and I love it, it's waterproof-ish, and locks in my gear when my tailgate is locked. But I'd like to get either a rack back there too, or just get a cap and enclose it all.
I can take some more pictures of it tomorrow when it is light out. But essentially there is a base plate on each side that wraps behind the utility track on the side of the bed and bolts in using the same 5 bolts that hold the utility track on. I can still roll my tonneau up but I do have to put it through at an angle at the middle bar. I'm not sure how a tri fold would work out. The bars may need to be placed at less of an angle making the rack more square.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I can take some more pictures of it tomorrow when it is light out. But essentially there is a base plate on each side that wraps behind the utility track on the side of the bed and bolts in using the same 5 bolts that hold the utility track on. I can still roll my tonneau up but I do have to put it through at an angle at the middle bar. I'm not sure how a tri fold would work out. The bars may need to be placed at less of an angle making the rack more square.
Oh it's a roll out. That's how you can still use it with that rack. Thanks for info. Would still like closer pics when you get a chance.

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Oh it's a roll out. That's how you can still use it with that rack. Thanks for info. Would still like closer pics when you get a chance.
Got a chance to get some pictures. The rack is linexed so you can pick out the base of the rack behind the utility track and the tonneau bracket. I also ran a bead of silicon caulking down between the rack and the bed to keep water out. So far it has kept everything almost completely dryIMG_6623.JPG IMG_6624.JPG IMG_6622.JPG

Rillo16

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Auburn, Washington
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Cabanas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ZOJ
Yeah its my favorite for the 2nd gen too. i wish their 3rd gen was just as nice. But I'm going with CBI full hoops. Keep up the good work its coming along nice.