Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

My last rig was a 1990 Suburban 2500. I loved that rig, but my wife did not. It started to have some transmission issues, and it just was not a great rig to tow my 30 ft travel trailer. It only had 190hp stock and to fix the trans, add power, fix some other issue was more than I wanted t spend on a rig my wife hated.
The replacement is this 2008 Suburban 2500. More comfortable, more power, and my wife loves it and not only wants to ride in it, but she is OK driving it. Not only did I gain power to tow, I gains some MPG over the 1990.

The plans for this rig are mild. I want to sleep in the back, and be capable on the trail, but I don't want to do anything that can't be easily reversed should I need to.
First up is a sleeping platform. In the 90 I tried several different heights for the platform and we found that we liked it as low as possible to allow us to sit up and read or even watch something on a tablet. So, there will be no drawers under the bed. However, I did make some lift out panels in the front to allow for storage under the front where the seats were. I added a pull out table that allows me to cook and do food prep under the tailgate protected from some sun and rain. The platform is all 3/4in cabinet grade plywood, it still needs a second coat of shellac. The big grey thing in the pictures is the tri-fold 6in mattress. We are getting old and comfort on the trails is the most important thing, keeps my wife happy.

Next up is the roof rack/storage/awning etc. The stock Suburban comes with a rack, but no cross bars. I used some Super-Strut to make those. I added a Hi-Lift mount and made some mounts for my traction boards out of all-thread and aluminum bar. I mounted the awning I had from my 90 on the right side. I ordered a 39x84 roof rack to go in the middle to give me roof storage.

I removed the winch from my 1990 and it will go behind the front bumper with a hidden winch mount from Rough Country. I ordered it, but it has not arrived yet. I also ordered some tow hooks/recovery points to install at the same time.

As this is my only vehicle (my wife has hers too) I use this to go to the airport every week. It is parked in the airport parking lot 5 days a week while I am gone. I will be removing the jack, awning, and traction boards and only install them before a trip unless I can find a way to lock them on. It is a small airport and I have not had any issue with theift yet, but why give them incentive.

I will update this as I go. No, I do not plan to add a big lift or heavy steel bumpers. With care and good driving skills, this will take me anyplace my wife and I want to go.

Attachments

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Took me over a month to get my lift and winch mount from rough country . Love the rig can’t wait to see where it goes .

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Suffolk, Virginia, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

Awesome setup! It'd be great to see some more pictures of adventures or build updates.

Just out of curiosity, have you had any issues with your Suburban running hot while idling with the AC on?

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Awesome setup! It'd be great to see some more pictures of adventures or build updates.

Just out of curiosity, have you had any issues with your Suburban running hot while idling with the AC on?
Last year I did the Washington Back Country Discovery Route, 5 days, 575 miles in the summer heat. I did have an issue with it overheating, but I discovered that I had a coolant leak. If I kept it full of coolant, the truck ran cool at any speed, even slow crawl with the A/C on.
Since that time, I believe I have fixed the leak and I have had no issues at all from it.

As an update, the winch is installed behind the bumper along with 2 HD 2500 tow hooks. I am updating the platform slightly. The pull out table gave me some problems when I put weight on the platform. It kind of refused to slide. I am currently working on a way to allow it to slide in and out easier.
I had a huge awning on it, but I just did not use it. It was too big. I plan to either cut it down, get a smaller one or just use a smaller tarp off the back hatch. We don't go sit for days in one place, we only stop for the night and move on the next morning. With that kind of travel, the huge awning is just not needed.

I also have my dual battery system installed, 400 watt inverter, battery isolator, and several 12v outlets/USB outlets. I have a 50in LED light above the windshield and I just ordered some ditch light brackets.

I will try to get some updated pictures this weekend and post them up.