2007 Yukon Denali, good for an Overland Rig???

• HTML tutorial

alfredregis

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Regis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
What is going on OB family!!? So I recently picked up a 2007 Yukon Denali (not my 1st choice) and have found out that the aftermarket support for an AWD Denali is far and in between. First off, it comes with air suspension front and rear with automatic load leveling system. Trying to lift this a mere 3" entails more than just swapping out air ride shocks for passive ones. I would also need to either trick the autoleveling system by extending the rods or installing some sort of bypass relay/solenoid/resistor or something to that affect. 2nd, there are no low profile racks specific to the Yukon Denali (non XL), talk about frustrating. What is everyone's opinion and have any of you experienced dealing with the 07 and up Denali's. Cant wait to hear the feedback!! Thanks all!!

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just one man's long-winded opinion but here goes:

I loved the old big Chevy Blazers and GMC Jimmy's (Sheriff Brody, Chief Hopper). By extension I have to like the Tahoe and Yukon as they are the closest relative to that. The 2007 -2013 Tahoe Yukon is a comfy platform with a lot of room. I have a 2013 GMC Sierra but want to pick up a Tahoe or Yukon when I can, and the 07 -13 is a nice choice. Preferably a z71.

Everything is covered with a hard roof and you can reach any item you need without getting out in the rain if you rely have to. Lots of seating, lots of storage. Good lines of sight.

Having said that, I think the Denali is the toughest to work with. It pushes the envelope of comfort and technology and therefore usually requires more convoluted methods of doing just about any modification. Magnetic ride is one example. All-time All Wheel Drive is another. Larger rims with thinner tires, auto-leveling, etc.

Even though that's the case, it's a really nice comfy platform, so enjoy it for what it is. Pack the cooler and some camping gear and go on out there. They aren't the most capable SUV'S out there, but they are still very capable, and are great people or cargo movers. So you wont be rock crawling but you can go down trails -and do it in style!

For me, I wouldnt go with the 2014 - 2020 Tahoe/ Yukon anyway. That front bumper spoiler is about the closest to the ground as I have ever seen, and the amount of technology in them is wonderful, but seems constricting. The latest design, the 2021, has a better front design, especially the z71, but that has air ride now too, and is most as long as a 1970's Suburban.

alfredregis

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Regis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thank you for the insight! Ya not planning on doing any rock crawling but would like to do some easy to easy/moderate trails (fire roads to primitive campsites for example). I will be changing out the wheels and tires in the future but decided to throw on some Cooper Rugged Treks for now, mainly for our winter Tahoe trips. I've seen passive swap kits but they dont bother to tell you how to navigate around the auto leveling system, as well as leveling kits but again no additional parts to circumvent the darn leveling system.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well, that's a beautiful truck. Be a shame to scratch it all up on trails.

Forgot to mention I like tha fact that Tahoe Yukon have the roof rack, where early blazers and all jeeps do not.

I was gonna ask what tires those were. Thanks for mentioning. Are they noisy on the highway and how do they affect fuel economy?

alfredregis

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Regis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Not too bad on the highway, I hear the hub bearings more than the tires lol, time to replace those too. Ya a few battle scars here or there I wont be too worried about lol.