2007 Subaru Forester XT

• HTML tutorial

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey guys. I love the overland community. Everyone is always so helpful and willing to share information, so thank you!

I'm currently building my Forester. Like many, I was inspired by @FozRoamer and his beautiful build.

I started with building my own overland kitchen, which is almost completed..

I will try to post the details of the kitchen a bit later.

A few weeks ago I got my 2 inch lift kit from Anderson Design and Fabrication. I installed it in my garage, which went smoother than expected haha! I went with standard height king springs, as well as upgraded to Method Race Wheels and BFG all terrain tires.

Here is how it sat before the lift..

And here is after..

I'm excited to add an auxiliary battery, more lights (because why not), get my kitchen sink hooked up, and start build some more functional bumpers, and a winch to start. Outfit and explore! Thanks for reading! Stay safe out there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Welcome Tyler! Good to see more fellow subies on here! How do you like your light bar up high on your cargo basket? Any glare from your hood?

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Thanks! I like it. It works the best when driving in the trees. I don't experience much hood glare on this one because of the color. I had the same setup on my old obs, and that car was white so i did get a glare on that subi. Let me know if you have an instagram so I can give you a follow!

Reactions: krzyboy2o

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey guys. I love the overland community. Everyone is always so helpful and willing to share information, so thank you!

I'm currently building my Forester. Like many, I was inspired by @FozRoamer and his beautiful build.

This is AWESOME! So glad to help inspire your build it means a lot! glad to see people starting to take action and see the real capabilities of these vehicles. Love the kitchen build!!

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

This is AWESOME! So glad to help inspire your build it means a lot! glad to see people starting to take action and see the real capabilities of these vehicles. Love the kitchen build!!
Hopefully we can wheel someday! Forester Nation! But seriously, these vehicles aren't given the time of day. They are so capable. Hopefully I can finish up the kitchen before spring time!

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

They are given the time of day its just a select few who either have no idea of their capabilities or they are just hard headed. They have been wheeling Subarus since the early 80s its nothing new really. Lots of love most of the time I rarely get negative feedback, well maybe on the comments section on the internet but rarely in person..haha

Check out this video with Jeff Pearson, hes a living legend in the Pacific NW Subaru community he's been doing it for ages. I got to hang out with him at WCSS this past year pretty low key guy.

Martynas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lithuania,Tauragė
Member #

A few weeks ago I got my 2 inch lift kit from Anderson Design and Fabrication. I installed it in my garage, which went smoother than expected haha! I went with standard height king springs, as well as upgraded to Method Race Wheels and BFG all terrain tires.

And here is after..

I'm excited to add an auxiliary battery, more lights (because why not), get my kitchen sink hooked up, and start build some more functional bumpers, and a winch to start. Outfit and explore! Thanks for reading! Stay safe out there.

wow i love the wheels :0

FOZTREK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

McGraths hill, Australia 2756
Member #

And here is after..

Absolutely loving the kitchen build dude great job!! Oh and the foz is looking awesome as well! Go ADF!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Iridium

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looking great @tyleromyah! Reminds me that I really need to get started on my drawer setup.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

@tyleromyah do you have a write up of how you wired your light bar? I'm thinking of running the wires through the back hatch and running another wire from the battery to the back. Seems like a lot of work.. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

@tyleromyah do you have a write up of how you wired your light bar? I'm thinking of running the wires through the back hatch and running another wire from the battery to the back. Seems like a lot of work.. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't currently have a write up, but I'll do one for you soon!

Reactions: krzyboy2o

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Any of you lifted Subaru fellas have any issues with your transaxle after installing the lift? Mine will intermittently buck one time, mostly between 45-55 mph. Feels like a hard shift, or if you've ever experienced a bad mass air flow sensor and the bucking that comes from that. Any thoughts on that?

Reactions: HudsonZRoamer

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Did you get a retune after changing your tire size? Those tires are going to change the load points for almost all driving conditions. You may be seeing intermittent knock there, that is typically a high load point. Not sure if you know how the ecu works on those, but basically you may need to have it re-scaled.

As background since I am new here, I have tuned MANY Scoobs, used to have a rally/race shop that worked on 80% Subaru.

If it is in the transmission, it is probably the center diff. There is a large thread about center diff issues in those automatics on the Forester forum, may be worth a look.

Hope that helps

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Any of you lifted Subaru fellas have any issues with your transaxle after installing the lift? Mine will intermittently buck one time, mostly between 45-55 mph. Feels like a hard shift, or if you've ever experienced a bad mass air flow sensor and the bucking that comes from that. Any thoughts on that?

I have def had some minor MAF issues after installing my snorkel. I cleaned the MAF and it did fix the issue somewhat. Nothing crazy but I have noticed some intermittent slight jerking until the engine really warms up. I am looking at getting a tune on my turbo in the near future for sure.

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hmm. Yeah, might have to replace the MAF sensor. It seemed to happen the most when driving through Utah in super slushy weather and the whole family in the car with baggage.. maybe it's a weight thing, idk. But I also have a flash tune on my ecu, so I wonder if I should have the thing properly tuned as well. At the moment it's too inconsistent to diagnose.

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

With the increased weight of the car, plus the change in tire size, could be putting the load at a given RPM well higher. If that occurs, and the timing is not adjusted properly, it will give a hesitation like that (knock). If you suspect you have MAF issues, that is the #1 thing to deal with as the MAF is a key part of the ecu's ability to calculate load properly.

Keep in mind, most accessport's etc off the shelf tunes are not being done with the mindset of larger / heavier rolling stock plus a ton of overland gear and may not be ideal for your engine. Unless you have mods that require the tune for the car to run safe, a decent test could be seeing if the car does this with the stock map in place as OEM maps are much more conservative.

I always advocate for a map that is dialed for your car and config, off the shelf makes too many assumptions.

Reactions: tyleromyah

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Did you get a retune after changing your tire size? Those tires are going to change the load points for almost all driving conditions. You may be seeing intermittent knock there, that is typically a high load point. Not sure if you know how the ecu works on those, but basically you may need to have it re-scaled.

As background since I am new here, I have tuned MANY Scoobs, used to have a rally/race shop that worked on 80% Subaru.

If it is in the transmission, it is probably the center diff. There is a large thread about center diff issues in those automatics on the Forester forum, may be worth a look.

Hope that helps
Thank you! I didn't think about that. I have read a couple things about these stupid automatics! Lol I mean if all else fails, I guess I'll have to swap it! ;)

I will definitely have to look into a real tune. Mine is just a Cobb flash tune, i don't even know what tune was put on it (it was done before I bought it). That would make sense though for sure. Thanks again! I appreciate the help guys.