2006 Jeep Liberty kj build (last year)

• HTML tutorial

bellasamlucky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montreal, Canada
Member #

Wanted to share my slow build of the kj. Acquired the jeep 2 years ago with about 140000 Kim's or about 80000 miles. Je jeep had very little rust and the owner had all the maintenance papers so it was a great start.

Kept the jeep stock for the first year but with the spring sag it would it the Front bumpstops quite often.

I always wanted a go anywhere vehicle but no rock crawling. Informed myself more on what was overlanding and found this site. An amazing site I might had.

So here is my build or the work in progress....

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

bellasamlucky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montreal, Canada
Member #

I started with a 2 inch lift from BDS and shimmed it to 2.5 inches total. Here are some pics. At the same time, changed the upper control arms, lower front balljoints, wheel bearing

Reactions: Jimmy P

bellasamlucky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montreal, Canada
Member #

For the extra 0.50 inches, added a rear upper isolator and 3 pipe nuts in the front just below the font spring seats

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
This looks great. How well are those pipe spacers going to hold up? That is a mod that never even occurred to me.

bellasamlucky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montreal, Canada
Member #

For the Liberty it's well known to add that extra half inch. They are made of metal. As long as the fork stays flush with the bottom of the shock and does not go below, it's all fine. 3 of them on each side in front do wonders. Here is a picture.

Reactions: khorsa

JFAZ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice Build! How did the lift effect handling and ride? Looking forward to seeing the rack installed. Good looking rig!

bellasamlucky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montreal, Canada
Member #

It really helped the ride, the shocks and the springs being new, it gives it stability. I was on the highway and last second decided to take an exit (really stupid from my end but sometimes you don't think) believe me when I say that if I had the old shocks and springs, I would have done some "roof skidding". With the new stuff, it was scary but the jeep handled it like a king and all tires stayed planted. Very happy for me, my wife and my kid.

bellasamlucky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montreal, Canada
Member #

Well, here is an update after a few months of driving the Jeep in winter. Tires are great. No issues and was very impressed by the grip it gets in the packed and soft snow. In ice, well ... we all know that most tires don’t excel on that so overall just amazing for me.

For the lift, I do have some rubbing In The front. the rear noise is still there when the suspension compresses. Will need to dive into this issue in the spring. The front rancho 5000’s are doing good, enough stiffness so that’s good. The rear shocks that come with the kit are too soft. Will need to swap those for something else stiffer this coming summer.

Next steps will be brakes front and rear, a cat back exhaust not to expensive like mbrp. More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Good to see another Libby build on here. My '08 KK is gradually getting more and more "stuff" added or replaced on it. I know some people don't consider them "real" Jeeps, but I have to say, I love mine.

Bjorn44

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Massanutten, Virginia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Beery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPI306
Service Branch
Navy and Army
Good to see another Libby build on here. My '08 KK is gradually getting more and more "stuff" added or replaced on it. I know some people don't consider them "real" Jeeps, but I have to say, I love mine.
I enjoy mine. I originally bought it BC I got a hell of a deal for it (plus it’s a 6spd manual) Then just started building it for something to do and it took off from there.