2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Build

• HTML tutorial

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Ok, so I am in the early stages of working up my 06 GC — my daily driver — as an overland vehicle, too. I’ve just added in the last week my roof rack — a 61.5” x 49.5” Front Runner (can be seen here in a quick test drive: ) and next up are tires/shocks/springs and a bit of a lift. Tires are getting tired and likely need replacing this summer. So am thinking of doing this next phase when I get tires.

Questions re: tires. Current stock tires are 245-65x17. I’d like to go to a 245-75x17. Can I without using wheel spacers? Will it clear pinch weld? I’m keeping my rims.

Springs: I asked at one shop locally about replacing as it seems over years they have settled. He said springs don’t settle. True or false? Would replacing give me the lift I’m looking for?

Lift: I am thinking of doing a 2” lift, no more as I don’t crawl rocks or anything like that and my max load won’t be that extreme. Do I need an OME type lift or how good are just the spacers above the springs/shocks?

EDIT: Because of my limited lift, I am thinking of adding some armor on the belly. Given this need and the weight this will add, anything else I should take into account regarding lift/suspension given a heavier-than-normal vehicle?

More to come as things progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Ok, so I am in the early stages of working up my 06 GC — my daily driver — as an overland vehicle, too. I’ve just added in the last week my roof rack — a 61.5” x 49.5” Front Runner (can be seen here in a quick test drive: ) and next up are tires/shocks/springs and a bit of a lift. Tires are getting tired and likely need replacing this summer. So am thinking of doing this next phase when I get tires.

Questions re: tires. Current stock tires are 245-65x17. I’d like to go to a 245-75x17. Can I without using wheel spacers? Will it clear pinch weld? I’m keeping my rims.

Springs: I asked at one shop locally about replacing as it seems over years they have settled. He said springs don’t settle. True or false? Would replacing give me the lift I’m looking for?

Lift: I am thinking of doing a 2” lift, no more as I don’t crawl rocks or anything like that and my max load won’t be that extreme. Do I need an OME type lift or how good are just the spacers above the springs/shocks?

EDIT: Because of my limited lift, I am thinking of adding some armor on the belly. Given this need and the weight this will add, anything else I should take into account regarding lift/suspension given a heavier-than-normal vehicle?

More to come as things progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Hi Lassen,

I'm running 265/70R17 without a spacer. No rubbing on anything. I eventually want to go to 285s. For that I will get 1.25 in spacers and have to take care of the pinch seam.

My plan is the OME 2" HD lift. Being HD springs they lift a little more than 2 inches. I'm currently running the 2 inch pucks front and back. That is how I can run the bigger tire.

4xGuard makes some great WK gear that I am looking into. They have a couple of skid plates I like. A little pricey, but well made.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Paul