2005 Toyota Tundra build

• HTML tutorial

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Hey guys wanted to post some pics before I start making any major mods to the truck. Already have the vision raptor 372 wheels on and a cobra all in one. Love the 1st gen platform and have a laundry list of things that I want to do. Tomorrow goes on ICON stage 2!!! So excited. I want to start posting pics from trips and upgrades, so tell me what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: NiteSky and Jimmy P

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Great platform , don’t really need a whole lot to explore with them . Not sure if it’s the same on the tundra but if you unplug the grey sensor on the side of the master cylinder it turns off the traction control and abs . I found Toyota’s traction control to be a little over controlling in the snow and Ice .

Reactions: Plisken

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Great platform , don’t really need a whole lot to explore with them . Not sure if it’s the same on the tundra but if you unplug the grey sensor on the side of the master cylinder it turns off the traction control and abs . I found Toyota’s traction control to be a little over controlling in the snow and Ice .
Ok I will check that out, although I haven't noticed the TC being an issue as of yet but thanks for the advice

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Very nice. I will be following to see how you build yours. I will be interested to see what you think of the ICON product and how it changes your ride. I just bought the same vehicle with 85K on the OD, couldn't pass it up. The wife wanted it because it reminded her of her 90 Toyota Extended Cab truck and it didn't feel as big as the Ram Charger, even though it was just as wide and three feet longer.

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Very nice. I will be following to see how you build yours. I will be interested to see what you think of the ICON product and how it changes your ride. I just bought the same vehicle with 85K on the OD, couldn't pass it up. The wife wanted it because it reminded her of her 90 Toyota Extended Cab truck and it didn't feel as big as the Ram Charger, even though it was just as wide and three feet longer.
Congrats on the buy, 85k is great for one of these, yeah it is definitely my favourite platform, even the 1/2 tons now are to big and the Tacoma's are about the same size but the 1st gen tundras have sooo much more room to maneuver, I love it!

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Congrats on the buy, 85k is great for one of these, yeah it is definitely my favourite platform, even the 1/2 tons now are to big and the Tacoma's are about the same size but the 1st gen tundras have sooo much more room to maneuver, I love it!

I ment maneuver as in the cabin space haha not so much the truck itself yeah the turning radius is ..pretty bad haha

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Well today could have gone better, started digging into the suspension it took almost all day to get it disassembled. Then my shocks don't seem to want to line up and the LCA won't go down far enough to allow them to slide into place. Long frustrating day. Currently is set up for me to get back at it tomorrow.

Reactions: Jimmy P

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Looks like your spring height is adjustable and I can't tell in the picture if they top collar is at its highest point. If you can spin the top collar up you will be able to line it up then once you get it attached you can screw it back down. There is probably a set screw holding the collar in place you may have to back out. You will need to get the tires on and have every thing on the ground to check your ride height.

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Oh this is great haha I did not know about the alignment bolts, man I've been fightin that thing all day! And as far as ride height I don't have icons special spanner wrench mabye that was something I was supposed to get.

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Ok update, I got everything installed that I wanted too, everything went on fine ( after struggling with EVERY single freaking bolt!!!) So I got an appointment with the shop to get an alignment on Saturday. Now today I was very apprehensive about driving it at all afraid that the engine was going to either explode or drop out the bottom.. anyway... I really don't know what the deal is I only swapped one of the bushings on my steering rack because I couldn't do the others and now the steering feels sort of stiff and unresponsive. Then it turns out my front camber is maxed out at -1.4 on left and -.9 on right, driving home it pulled noticeably to the right. And the truck just doesn't feel right driving down the road... Sorry for the length but I am pretty worried

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

Alright then it's been a bit since my last update but turns out the clunking was coming from the LCA bushings, in the end I ended up replacing the entire lca arm on both sides, both lower ball joints, sway bar links, UCA with total chaos, Icon coilovers in front, rotors, brake pads, rear 2.0 shocks, and an addaleaf. Took me about 4 weekends to do the project. The icons are riding about the same stiffness as stock and haven't provided as much lift in the front as I had expected. The numbers say there is 2 inches in the front of lift and about an inch in the back but it doesn't look like much, I gain about 5inches of down travel on top of the 2 inches of lift. Took the truck for an outing last weekend with some guys. Got down to -1 haha chilly.

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
"over controlling" ...and less than spectacular for grip. My 2012 Tundra DC fish-tails like mad on steep icy asphalt roads. Aside from that, I completely agree that the Tundra is a very capable overlanding machine even in stock forms. Obviously, it won't be squeezing through the tightest of treed trails and switchbacks as the width and length is on the bigger side but I have driven my stock Tundra places some built trail vehicle owners wouldn't go.

Reactions: NiteSky