Launch Member

Contributor II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Amberleigh
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

Newbie here (sort of)! I just got my own soon-to-be rig and I'm putting together a list of what I want to do with it. That being said, I'm looking for some suggestions for lift kits for my Subie as well as any other suggestions y'all may have!KIMG2755.jpeg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Don’t drop your hat into the LP Adventures bucket off the bat. They are expensive & don’t really offer anything special over other lifts IMO. I did the ReadyLift on my 2019. It was $400 as opposed to the almost $800 from LP. With the money I saved going with a less well known lift, I bought new cam bolts, RalliTek adjustable front end links, RalliTek front springs, & King rear springs (the rear springs from King are better at handling heavier loads like towing a trailer).

There are different parts for different models. Your 2005 OB 3.0R won’t have a lot of suspension components in common w/ my 2019 OB 3.6R. My best advice is don’t buy into the hype of some of these brands & don’t just go for the low hanging fruit. Be prepared to spend a good bit of time researching it online. Also, don’t hesitate to straight up ask a company what the benefit (or difference) of their product compared to a competitors. Let them tell you why you should buy their product instead of a competitors.

Reactions: bowserwafer

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome to Overland Bound fellow Subaru owner and congratulations on acquiring your Outback @bowserwafer! The 3rd gen will always hold a special place in my heart because I firmly believe it’s the best all around wagon Subaru ever made.

Spacer lifts are the most common way Subaru owners lift their vehicle. It’s relatively easily done and has zero impact on ride quality. LP doesn’t make a lift for the 3rd gen but ADF does and they’re a highly regarded company.

ADF also has a ‘tire chart’ on their website listing common lifted wheel/tire sizes.

Another great lift option, and the one I’d recommend, is a company owned by a fellow Subaru driving Overland Bound member. He has easily one of the most identifiable lifted 3rd gens and is an all around good dude.

If you intend to carry a good bit of extra weight ALL THE TIME and then even more when you head out into the woods it becomes time to consider aftermarket springs. I recommend Rallitek springs front or rear because I feel King springs have too high of a springrate for almost every Subaru I’ve ever seen.

If you’re considering springs and you have questions please ask them.

bowserwafer

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Amberleigh
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

Don’t drop your hat into the LP Adventures bucket off the bat. They are expensive & don’t really offer anything special over other lifts IMO. I did the ReadyLift on my 2019. It was $400 as opposed to the almost $800 from LP. With the money I saved going with a less well known lift, I bought new cam bolts, RalliTek adjustable front end links, RalliTek front springs, & King rear springs (the rear springs from King are better at handling heavier loads like towing a trailer).

There are different parts for different models. Your 2005 OB 3.0R won’t have a lot of suspension components in common w/ my 2019 OB 3.6R. My best advice is don’t buy into the hype of some of these brands & don’t just go for the low hanging fruit. Be prepared to spend a good bit of time researching it online. Also, don’t hesitate to straight up ask a company what the benefit (or difference) of their product compared to a competitors. Let them tell you why you should buy their product instead of a competitors.
I have no fear of lesser known brand stuff for sure, but I am definitely going to be looking around and researching.

As far as height, I meant to ask this weekend (or maybe i did ask) how much lift you put on your Subie?

bowserwafer

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Amberleigh
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound fellow Subaru owner and congratulations on acquiring your Outback @bowserwafer! The 3rd gen will always hold a special place in my heart because I firmly believe it’s the best all around wagon Subaru ever made.

Spacer lifts are the most common way Subaru owners lift their vehicle. It’s relatively easily done and has zero impact on ride quality. LP doesn’t make a lift for the 3rd gen but ADF does and they’re a highly regarded company.

ADF also has a ‘tire chart’ on their website listing common lifted wheel/tire sizes.

Another great lift option, and the one I’d recommend, is a company owned by a fellow Subaru driving Overland Bound member. He has easily one of the most identifiable lifted 3rd gens and is an all around good dude.

If you intend to carry a good bit of extra weight ALL THE TIME and then even more when you head out into the woods it becomes time to consider aftermarket springs. I recommend Rallitek springs front or rear because I feel King springs have too high of a springrate for almost every Subaru I’ve ever seen.

If you’re considering springs and you have questions please ask them.
I don't *intend* on carrying a lot of extra weight all the time, because this is also my daily driver. That being said, once we get in and under there to give it a good look I'll know what I've got on my hands and what may need replacing, so having these options is good to have!

I've always been infatuated with the OB, but it was only recently that I finally decided I was going to get one.

Now I just gotta get my other car sold lol

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have no fear of lesser known brand stuff for sure, but I am definitely going to be looking around and researching.

As far as height, I meant to ask this weekend (or maybe i did ask) how much lift you put on your Subie?
The strut spacers are 2” on the front & 1.5” rear. Enough to fit P245/65-17 tires. It doesn’t sound like much but the additional rise from the tires & stiffer springs brings it a good bit taller.

Reactions: bowserwafer

bowserwafer

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Amberleigh
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

Well, after taking my Subie to have the recall handled and informed (and shown) that the brakes had been horribly tampered with, we decided to return it to the seller. We're going to be on the lookout for another vehicle (most likely another Subie) but until then we'll just be rockin' the 4runner.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Well, after taking my Subie to have the recall handled and informed (and shown) that the brakes had been horribly tampered with, we decided to return it to the seller. We're going to be on the lookout for another vehicle (most likely another Subie) but until then we'll just be rockin' the 4runner.
That sucks, but at least it was caught before it was too late! That 4Runner is a mean rig.

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Sorry to hear you had a bit of bad luck with your Subie. Best of luck finding a replacement.