2005 subaru outback 3.0

• HTML tutorial

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
bought new 2005 outback 3.0 , 180kw 5 speed auto sportshift, VDC. wanted more power after my 115kw 2001 outback. feels nice, goes even better . will make it for travels around country and euro trips , so for longer distances, but maybe some offroading as well
bought this

now it has 2'' lift . nothing else for now. same low winter tires too. too low. i will put on it something bigger something , 225/65R17 and more agressive tires. and do something with front bumper as it will hook on everything there. rear bumper its pretty high as it is so maybe rest will leave , later will adapt my previous roof rack for it too. will adapt hi lift jack too as previous i did for my 2001. and then just enjoy ride

rear diff have like 30cm ground clearance now front lower place 28cm about.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I love the Subaru Outback. We are on our third Subi (two Outbacks and a WRX) and all of them have been great vehicles and extremely capable. Nothing made me happier than leaving expensive sports cars in the dust in my WRX - on the road, in the rain, in the snow and off the pavement. It was truly u stoppable. While I can’t imagine a scenario that I’d ever give up my Toyota 4X4, I also can’t imagine not having a Subaru in the driveway beside it. Best of luck with yours!

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
thank you. yes i dont need it to be off road monster , and in my area well what we have plenty is mostly sand and mud if you want to call that off road, there are no hills here or stones or climbing , so mostly places subaru goes here very well , if not too deep into mud . still because not so heavy cars they can perform much better then heavy 4x4 cars on same tracks here . i mean now i have 11' ground clearance in front and almost 12' in rear on diff, and thats with low tires, i could put on it much larger ones, then its even better for clearance under. just that front bumper goesinto way , i did cut my previous outback front bumper and now im thinking should i do it again. i kinda want it still look like normal city shoping car and look good , not too agresive, but i want some cool look too
found one guy did cut that front bumper on line where that black lower part goes, but i would cut it straight i think , not leaving those antifog lights there, dont know still how to make it look good too

i like those 17 rims more then smaller 16 ones from older outback, those 17 looks really in place for me, and they still can have good high profile tires even 65 or 60 at least.

Reactions: Specter

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
so lift was good but it has some small tires there. so i thought why no go wabank and put all that it can handle. at least with 2'' lift these cant take anymore, and i did some cuting myself there so front wheels could even turn kinda good, its still rubs some on situations but its half ok now i can drive it and tested it off road too with local forester club
so those are 225/65R17 nokian hakapelitas 7 , i couldnt drive out of tires center because couldnt turn almost, guys where asking are you sure you want those tires and i said yes i know what im doing lol kinda..and i did

then i made recovery points for front and hi lift jack points to lift car . result very good as its bolt on nothing welded to car and nothing cut from car

it goes very well traction control with VDC works very well on mud and most places where i dont need much momentum, and then where i need it i turn TC off and VDC still doing its job on stoping wheels thats spins for nothing.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Very cool and a good vehicle for where you live. We have a lit of Subaru off-roaders here too. One of biggest issues with the traction control system is overheating while trying to get through really tough situations. Have you added a transmission cooler or anything?

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
i duno gearbox might get up in temp but not AWD system because its allways all wheel drive not connected to AWD like most new ones, its more like old audi quatro system, its allways all wheels nothing is connecting or overheating there, at least auto gearbox. manuals then have their own problems with clutch burning and stuff, older subaru auto gearboxes are more like bulletproof, their just works.
for traction control i just turn it off when i need more momentum to let more wheel spin, VDC will still working braking wheels that lost grip . i duno its amazing system with old style autos , until they get to CVT , those doing less good in harder offroad. so depends what you doing with car, but they never overheat , older foresters and those outbacks, they not. xtrails will overheat, or honda AWD drives or similar but older subarus dont have that problem

Reactions: JCWages

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
pitch black in forest, i mean those small cheap led lights for reverse light made big difference what i could see when im backing up

and on sand its just amazing, even with full psi winter tires no problem on soft sand, plenty power too to have fun when you want it

and i mean now i have like 30cm of ground clearance there under , and in rear diff its even more , so i kinda just could drive over that fallen tree there, thats with low bumper in front still, i was cuting half bumpers from 2001 outback , but now i kinda want to wait and see when it will come that moment when they will be in the way, and i still didnt get that moment, so i wait and leave it stock still

and in the sand even soft sinking sand its no problems on those full psi winter tires, they soft enough so its very good for sand to have that softness in tires so they bulge more

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
and hi lift points in rear done too, not recovery yet put i just modified some of the original aluminum crush bumper in there and i thought its really will be strong enough for hi lift jack to just lift car if i need. so that was simple modification for that

i will do later my own tow bar from that too, i know they just replacing that aluminum oem one with steel one and there they have that tow bar , but i think i could blend those too into this one oem one maybe , i will see will my idea will work or not. but for lifting car i see no problem with just using like this
because i dont wanna it hang lower then bumper is so that hole could be like cut into bumper , something like this

but no lower maybe even higher, and then when you need to level your towing stuff just use adjustable height tow hitch and you fine
1580144165367.jpeg

Last edited:

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
well it should be winter now here with lots snow as previous years, but well not this winter i guess. first i bought car with smaller winter tires, but i wanted to know how big tires i could put there with lift, so i bought those used tires for cheap just for testing. i had AT Ko2 tires on previous 2001 outback, but now i dont have money for new Ko2 pair or any other AT tires as here they all goes for very similar price, some 100-120 for one tire if i want them on those oem 17 rims. and those goes in mud as well not bad i mean in soft mud with deep water one time that i tested it it never got stuck anywhere. but i would like to buy new Ko2 wor this as well, its all about money really.

Reactions: Daryl 32 and Joey83

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
another VDC test with Traction Control on. it works enough to push car forward on two wheels only and on soft sand

Last edited: