Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Why did you pick the MDX? I picked it because I have no other good option; wondering if I am happening into a "Happy Accident"...
One can have a “happy accident” in any vehicle but one also has to keep things in perspective as the MDX won’t traverse the Rubicon but will perform fine on mild trails and fire roads. Known limitations in ground clearance, break over angles etc. Targeting your MDX build at over landing will make for a better outcome.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

One can have a “happy accident” in any vehicle but one also has to keep things in perspective as the MDX won’t traverse the Rubicon but will perform fine on mild trails and fire roads. Known limitations in ground clearance, break over angles etc. Targeting your MDX build at over landing will make for a better outcome.
Adventure vehicle and DD, wife, 2 kids and a dog. So far my cruze hasn't gotten damaged but I am missing out on a lot of roads and hidden beaches. Not expecting to rock crawl but I would like to tackle deep snow and mud. But as I said I don't have any other good options; no trucks in good shape, no outbacks, jeeps are too small, etc... Lots of boxes to check and the acura hits the most important of the practical ones.
How much of your build do you think will transfer to a 2012 model? I think the biggest improvement I can make is tires and cargo carrying. Anyway I like your build and can't wait to see what kind of trouble you get into in the future; cheers!

Not sure why my reply got truncated but I just deleted the old one and replied again.

Reactions: aggrex

Rtodd

Rank 0

Contributor I

Triangle, NC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Todd
I posted this in the new members forum but figured I'd post here as well since I plan on doing a bit to this car. The car is pretty much a Honda Pilot and while there is a little about built out pilots out there, there is less about 1st gen MDXs!

I came into ownership of this car for the price of a power steering pump and steering rack last summer. It was in Florida, had not started in 4 months and we weren't sure if we were even able to start it. Two one way tickets down and we got to the car, jumped it and began the cannonball run back north (had to get back for work!) The car was drinking power steering fluid but it seemed other wise sturdy. A pit stop for bbq in South Carolina and we were back on the road north. Through the winter the car has been to Vermont a slew of times (Jay Peak!!) and other than a dead alternator(beat that one home.) it has been relatively reliable.

I drove the car bone stock for a few months with the hope that it may do alright on our soft sand beaches on Long Island as a surf buggy. After venturing out with a friends truck in tandem we had deemed her beach worthy and ready for solo adventures! The VTM-4 system is not bad for this. I won't be a rock crawler but it can definitely help in those sticky situations.

The goals are to keep the cost down on this and do what is necessary to perform well. Recently I've picked up a set of steel wheels from another Honda and I just test fit them with some 245/75/16 AT's on yesterday and we didn't see any rub! Next week I should have some Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws ready to install. I have some wheel spacers if necessary once running. Also in the living room are new KYB shocks and struts(the stock are pretty beat) and in the mail a small spacer lift that allegedly works with a Pilot (We shall see!)

Future plans are minimal right now. I'm thinking of ripping out the third row and building a platform with some storage drawers to take up the trunk. On top of this I'm thinking of hinging a piece of plywood that I can fold out to put over the middle seats when they are folded flat for a bed platform. I'm always open to new ideas and suggestions!
Cool Build. I have a stock one with 270k miles. I wouldn't be too worried about the transmission.

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
Adventure vehicle and DD, wife, 2 kids and a dog. So far my cruze hasn't gotten damaged but I am missing out on a lot of roads and hidden beaches. Not expecting to rock crawl but I would like to tackle deep snow and mud. But as I said I don't have any other good options; no trucks in good shape, no outbacks, jeeps are too small, etc... Lots of boxes to check and the acura hits the most important of the practical ones.
How much of your build do you think will transfer to a 2012 model? I think the biggest improvement I can make is tires and cargo carrying. Anyway I like your build and can't wait to see what kind of trouble you get into in the future; cheers!

Not sure why my reply got truncated but I just deleted the old one and replied again.
I would think most of it should fit on a 2012. The brake size may be larger so I'm not sure you can get away with a 16" tire. 31" tires should fit but may need to go on a 17" wheel. For the lift, anything pilot related should also fit.