2005 Acura MDX Beach Buggy/Ski Mobile/Camp Ground rig

• HTML tutorial

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
I posted this in the new members forum but figured I'd post here as well since I plan on doing a bit to this car. The car is pretty much a Honda Pilot and while there is a little about built out pilots out there, there is less about 1st gen MDXs!

I came into ownership of this car for the price of a power steering pump and steering rack last summer. It was in Florida, had not started in 4 months and we weren't sure if we were even able to start it. Two one way tickets down and we got to the car, jumped it and began the cannonball run back north (had to get back for work!) The car was drinking power steering fluid but it seemed other wise sturdy. A pit stop for bbq in South Carolina and we were back on the road north. Through the winter the car has been to Vermont a slew of times (Jay Peak!!) and other than a dead alternator(beat that one home.) it has been relatively reliable.

I drove the car bone stock for a few months with the hope that it may do alright on our soft sand beaches on Long Island as a surf buggy. After venturing out with a friends truck in tandem we had deemed her beach worthy and ready for solo adventures! The VTM-4 system is not bad for this. I won't be a rock crawler but it can definitely help in those sticky situations.

The goals are to keep the cost down on this and do what is necessary to perform well. Recently I've picked up a set of steel wheels from another Honda and I just test fit them with some 245/75/16 AT's on yesterday and we didn't see any rub! Next week I should have some Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws ready to install. I have some wheel spacers if necessary once running. Also in the living room are new KYB shocks and struts(the stock are pretty beat) and in the mail a small spacer lift that allegedly works with a Pilot (We shall see!)

Future plans are minimal right now. I'm thinking of ripping out the third row and building a platform with some storage drawers to take up the trunk. On top of this I'm thinking of hinging a piece of plywood that I can fold out to put over the middle seats when they are folded flat for a bed platform. I'm always open to new ideas and suggestions!

Attachments

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
Moving up in the world (almost an inch)! I had the tires installed on some 16” steel wheels. I cleaned them up and sprayed them black. The tires are 245/75/16 Falken Wildpeak at3w. Ride quality is good so far and no rub!

Spacer lift should be here by the weekend to go with some new kyb shocks and struts, the ones on there are shot right now.

IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPGIMG_1725.JPG

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
Did a thing - put new KYB Shocks and Struts along with a spacer lift. Between the tires and spacers (and a no longer sagging rear suspension) I've probably gained 2.5+" over stock clearance. Along with that a new timing belt went in. I'm no longer rubbing in the deep ruts on the beach!

Still getting some clunking on the front end going over bigger bumps (especially on an angle) any ideas on what that might be? It's been doing it since I've gotten the truck. End links?

Attachments

Reactions: JCWages

ldalehart

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I bought a 2007 MDX in December to be my long distance work vehicle. I absolutely love how this car responds and with all wheel drive it should make you a good beach vehicle or whatever else that would be reasonable. I am sporting 156,000+ miles and have not had one day of mechanical issues. My windshield wipers occasionally come on and make a swipe or two without warning, but that is just the personality of the vehicle. Good luck with yours and it will be fun to watch your progress.

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
The Falkens have been great so far, i'm excited to see how they do in the winter. Some times you don't need to newest or best truck on the road to do what you want. Honestly around here there isn't much 'Overlanding' but was is around the truck can handle!

I think I've seen the same guy on instagram, had I gone in the other direction (lift first, then tires) I would have probably gone 32" (or whatever I could stuff under there) but I needed new tires so they happened first.

So far it has been relatively reliable. Some of the electronics are crapping out (who watches DVDs any way), a muffler rusted off and the passenger lock sticks. But keeping it in perspective it is a cheap truck that does what you need it to. I think the Achilles heal of it will be the transmission. I'm sitting at 176K and if I can clear 210+ (250 might be a dream) it would have more than gotten its money's worth.

With that said any reccomendations on some cheap lights I can wire up? They don't need to be the best but driving back on the beach in the dark it would be nice to light up the sand in front of me so I don't run over Joe Bro's partially burnt out fire pit!

Reactions: redneckinarav4

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
The Falkens have been great so far, i'm excited to see how they do in the winter. Some times you don't need to newest or best truck on the road to do what you want. Honestly around here there isn't much 'Overlanding' but was is around the truck can handle!

I think I've seen the same guy on instagram, had I gone in the other direction (lift first, then tires) I would have probably gone 32" (or whatever I could stuff under there) but I needed new tires so they happened first.

So far it has been relatively reliable. Some of the electronics are crapping out (who watches DVDs any way), a muffler rusted off and the passenger lock sticks. But keeping it in perspective it is a cheap truck that does what you need it to. I think the Achilles heal of it will be the transmission. I'm sitting at 176K and if I can clear 210+ (250 might be a dream) it would have more than gotten its money's worth.

With that said any reccomendations on some cheap lights I can wire up? They don't need to be the best but driving back on the beach in the dark it would be nice to light up the sand in front of me so I don't run over Joe Bro's partially burnt out fire pit!
I’d just grab a cheapo light bar or light kit off amazon. They usually come with the harness, switch and needed relays. Plus they’re super easy to wire up! Just have to come up with some possible mounts [emoji106]

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
Forgot to grab some pictures but I brought the truck in for an alignment and noticed that the drivers side cv boot was significantly leaking and the passenger boot was destroyed. I'm sure the increased suspension angles did not help the boots but after inspecting they appeared to be original making it 185k miles and 15 years. Being driven on the sand like this for who knows how long I decided to replace. After reading through b0wfin's 07 Pilot build thread I opted to go for OEM replacements. Drives great!

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
Did a think while socially isolating. I've had this hitch for some time that I've been meaning to install. Fairly straight forward except the bolts on once side took some talking too to get to bite. The holes were rusted over and needed to soak in some pb blaster to get some of the gunk loose. All's good and installed right now. Not planning on towing but will be putting a basket behind there for coolers, etc and potentially a spare tire holder one day. The full size spare still fits underneath but the full size spare is smaller than the current tires....

Overall easy to install and looks good!

2354275C-82B5-49AA-A71A-08B22EA3692B_1_105_c.jpegC01BBF22-0573-4D3E-830E-1C18C49F27D0_1_105_c.jpeg

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Great to see another Honda build (MDX). Brothers from the same mother...LOL

Reactions: couchpotato23

Mrtoof

Rank I

Contributor III

Crozet, VA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Kerl
Really cool to see this build thread, I’m loving it. Have an 04 MDX which has been great to us but seems like every couple of months my wife and I start perusing the web for cruisers, sequoias, etc. Sold our 4th gen 4runner a year ago because the MDX is a little better family car with our 3 young boys (3rd row) but we love getting out into the national forest and camping and miss our “truck.” Covid has me ready to budget build a rig for family camping and your thread here has me convinced to go for it with our Acura. Which spacer lift set up did you go with? Seems like HRG’s kit for the Pilot should work, cool to see you were able to use 16” wheels, great work.

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
I'm sure any pilot kit would work. But I used the cheap tema4x4 lift off of ebay. It works but the guy I worked with said installing the real spacers was a real PITA. Awesome to hear the build thoughts! Honestly If I were to to it again I might for-go the lift to preserve other component heights, the tires gave me an inch or so lift and had good clearance stock. Plus the acura's ground clearance is actually not too bad and most things are routed well

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
Did a thing - put new KYB Shocks and Struts along with a spacer lift. Between the tires and spacers (and a no longer sagging rear suspension) I've probably gained 2.5+" over stock clearance. Along with that a new timing belt went in. I'm no longer rubbing in the deep ruts on the beach!

Still getting some clunking on the front end going over bigger bumps (especially on an angle) any ideas on what that might be? It's been doing it since I've gotten the truck. End links?
Looks good!

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Check the sway bar bushings. Moog makes end links with grease fittings.